bus to frontier

  • RONALD SHOEMAKER
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 15 9:59 PM
      ARE THERE ANY BUSES THAT TAKE PEOPLE TO THE FRONTIER FOR SHOPPING, MY WIFE AND I WOULD LIKE TO GO.

                                                                                                                                                            RON SHOEMAKER
    • John French
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 16 1:25 PM
        Shhhh...

        Bus? Depends on what frontier. You might also consider going to Golfito.
        Two people get a total $1,000 tax free purchase. You must stay overnight
        to get it.

        John French
      • Kerry Dressler
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 16 1:49 PM
          I have seen bus tours to Golfito free zone advertised around xmas season.. I'd call a couple of bus companies like MUSOC to ask. Or a travel agency if you are interested in the Free Zone. I've been there several times and gotten a few good deals, but also found you can do almost as well if you know what the price would be there and then go to the same major stores in San Jose armed with this information.

          http://costarica.com/blog/golfito-duty-free-zone-purchase-up-to-2000-a-year/

          There is a lot of useful information at this site including info on bus trips that it says are daily to Golfito. It is relatively inexpensive to get your items shipped to your home. The only negative things are the fact that you have to spend at least one night in Golfito.. purchase your cards one day and use them a second... and the awful heat and humidity there. After living in Cartago for years, we spent the last week near Golfito and all our clothes were constantly damp... Got back yesterday and there is no place like home.
        • txtita1
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 17 6:35 AM
            Actually John, this is not quite true. Here are the rules for shopping in Golfito:

            First, you may only claim duty exemption twice a year. Second, you must stay overnight in Golfito before enjoying tax-free shopping. The overnight stay requirement assures that tourism is brought to the region. To prove your overnight stay, you must request your shopping authorization card (TAC) at the Customs Offices in the Deposito (8 a.m.- 8 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, and 1 p.m.- 8 p.m. Mondays) on the day of your arrival.

            You will need to present your current passport or Costa Rican identification card (cédula) to obtain the TAC (Tarjeta Authorización Compras) is actually an 8½ x 11 sheet of paper that shows your purchase allowance with a ledger where each of your purchases will be recorded.

            Golfito's streets are lined with lots of shops, but you must actually be in the Deposito to purchase duty free goods. If you get there early enough, you can go shop prices after you pick up your TAC. You just can’t buy anything. If you have access to the internet, you can then check consumer reviews on the products, compare the Golfito prices to some of the on-line vendors, and big box stores, and confirm the sales price is actually a good deal.

            On your second day in Golfito, start shopping in the Deposito. The stores are open 8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday and 7 a.m.- 2 p.m. Sundays; all are closed on Mondays. Most of the stores accept credit cards for purchases.

            Each person may purchase up to $1,000 twice per year ($2,000 annually). Note: This limit applies only to Golfito purchases. The limit for bringing items into Costa Rica through the Airport or mail services is still $500 per semester.

            If you do not use your $1000 allowance in the 1st semester (January 1st, through June 30th, it will roll over to the 2nd semester giving you a total of $2000 per person, or $4000 per couple. It doesn't not roll over from one year to the next. We try to go every year, in August or September, so we can catch the whale watching in Uvita on our way back.

            Electronics and other goods often cost up to 50% less than in normal stores in Costa Rica. When you have chosen an item, show the store personnel your TAC (shopping authorization card) and make your purchase. You may make a purchase under $1,000 with one card, or you may combine two cards (no more) for a total of $2,000. Only first-degree relations -- parents, children, siblings and spouses -- may combine their shopping authorization cards.

            You may purchase the following quantities per ticket:
            Semesters are January-June and July-December:

            Liquor: 12 Units/semester
            Air Conditioners: 1/5 Years
            Movie Equipment: 1/1 Year
            Electromechanical Devices for Domestic Use: 2/semester
            Coffee Makers: 2/semester
            Water Heaters: 1/1 Year
            Footwear: 6 Pairs/semester
            Beer: 24 Units/semester
            Chocolates and Other Sweets: $40/semester
            Cigarettes: 30 Packs/semester
            Sound Equipment: 1/1 Year
            Ovens and Stoves: 1/2 Years
            Washing Machines: 1/1 Year
            Tires: 5 Units/semester
            Personal Typewriter: 1/1 Year
            Sewing Machine for Domestic Use: 1/1 Year
            Dishwasher: 1/1 Year
            Percolators: 2/semester
            Irons: 2/semester
            Canned Goods: $40/semester
            Stereos: 1/semester
            Refrigerators and Freezers: 1/2 Years
            Watches and Jewelry worth more than 500 CRC Each: 4/semester
            Televisions: 1/1 Year
            Record Players, Recorders, Video Cameras: 1/1 Year
            Wine: 24 Units/semester

            >> ---In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, <johnff@...> wrote :
            Two people get a total $1,000 tax free purchase. You must stay overnight
            to get it.

          • alajuelanorth
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 17 6:13 PM
              Yeah great and useful post, thanks!  Could we have mmmmmore . . . .Berni
            • mrleeinjaco
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 17 7:43 PM
                someone mentioned ALL "the rules" for shopping in golfito.  did they forget they were in costa rica?!  rules you say?  come on.  you go to a store or stores and make your deal.  then the sales guys go out and round up some locals who have valid purchasing power and the deal is struck.  when we outfitted our house some years back, we had 3 families "buy" our stuff for us. and this too supports the local economy.   then they arrange delivery if needed which is always based on the cost of the merchandise, not just the distance.  they have it all figured out so you don't have to.  rules?

                mrlee
              • jckincy
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 18 6:59 AM
                  And the "Gringo Tax" is built into all those calculations, right?
                • ajhaig
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 21 11:15 AM
                    Perhaps it has changed but about 4 years ago I went with a Tica, and at the end, where you pick up your purchases, there were guys who wanted to use up your unused credits (mostly to buy alcohol). One could then make a little by charging them for this use.