FaceTime

  • steveandpaulacr
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 24, 2014
      Are there any Mac users out there who use FaceTime, any idea how much it costs here in C.R.?

      Paula
    • Shawn Schaffner
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 24, 2014
        Facetime is free.  I facetime family back home almost daily.

      • xanxe@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 24, 2014
          It's free.

          On Monday, 24 February 2014, 16:19, "Rocky1.steve@..." <Rocky1.steve@...> wrote:

          Are there any Mac users out there who use FaceTime, any idea how much it costs here in C.R.?

          Paula

        • Diane Madara
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 24, 2014
            Paula,

            FaceTime is free, but you must use it on a WiFi connection. If you use it on any kind
            of data plan it will be very expensive.

            It is a great application though - I use it weekly with my daughter & grandsons.

            Diane
          • cemax12000
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 25, 2014
              IF I bring my cell phone from the states, can I use face time using my cell number thru wi fi and not be charged an arm and leg? Not sure how facetime works.
              Thanks for any help,
              Craig
            • steveandpaulacr
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 25, 2014
                It turns out that I can’t use it because our computer is too old - OS 10.6.8 rather than the OS 10.7 that is needed. We don’t have Wifi either we have a regular internet connection with CableTica.

                Paula
              • magedelimage
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 25, 2014
                  The use of FaceTime has nothing to do with WiFi. You need an internet connexion, like for any browsers.
                  WiFi is only needed if you want to use your laptop or device away from the modem (like by the pool or in your bed).
                  So, using FaceTime costs no more than your internet connexion (it's only an App).
                  FaceTime replaces the old iChat. It is totaly the same.
                  I use iChat (on my old MacMini runnin on 10.6.8) with any FaceTime users (Apple's computers, PowerBook, iPad, iPhone or iPod running on OS 10.7, 10.8 or iOS 5, 6 or 7).
                  By the way, ooVoo is a great free universal App to replace FaceTime or Skype (faster, better, up to 12 participants at a time... and you can record your conferences !).
                  Contact me privetly to more info.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 25, 2014
                    Yes Craig, you can use your cellphone (i presumed it's an iPhone) via a wifi connexion and use FaceTime and Messages.
                    FaceTime is very easy to use. You just have to enter in your Contacts the informations of the persons you want to chat with.

                    ---In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, <cemax12000@...> wrote:
                    IF I bring my cell phone from the states, can I use face time using my cell number thru wi fi and not be charged an arm and leg? Not sure how facetime works.
                  • Michael Josephy
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 25, 2014
                      FaceTime will run on OS X 10.6.8, though it didn't come with the
                      system. You have to buy it for a nominal price (99 cents) at the Mac
                      App store.
                      <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/facetime/id414307850>

                      And you don't require WiFi either. CableTica should work fine. So I
                      think you're in business!

                      Michael Josephy <mjosephy@...>

                      On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 10:29 AM, <Rocky1.steve@...> wrote:
                      > It turns out that I can't use it because our computer is too old - OS 10.6.8 rather than the OS 10.7 that is needed. We don't have Wifi either we have a regular internet connection with CableTica.
                      >
                      > Paula
                    • magedelimage
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 25, 2014
                        Yes, it was included in the OS 10.6, but was named iChat.
                        You should see it in your Applications folder.
                        If not, you will find a free copy of the installer on the web.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 26, 2014
                          I have iChat - are you saying it is the same thing as FaceTime?

                          Paula
                        • magedelimage
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 27, 2014
                            Yes, exactly the same.
                            With iChat, you can contact any FaceTime users, and vice versa.

                            ---Paula asked : I have iChat - are you saying it is the same thing as FaceTime?