Tourist Visas - The Never Ending Questions

  • ebrasslmt
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 13, 2014
      Hello All,

      My boyfriend and I will be staying in an amazing sanctuary in Santa Ana starting in mid April, and we are very concerned about being "perpetual tourists." We'd like to do things the right way, and will be telecommuting for income and will be bringing three cats and 1 small dog with us.

      We are concerned that we would be denied re-entry into Costa Rica at the end of our 90 day visa. Can you provide me with any positive/negative experiences you've had with the border personell, and any advice on how to handle a "re-entry rejection?"

      Thank you all so much for the helpful information so far, and I am looking forward to learning as much as I can, and making a few friends!

      Beth
    • steveandpaulacr
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 13, 2014
        I hope your cats are inside cats - I'd hate to think that you are coming to Costa Rica with 3 cats that will be trying to kill our beautiful birds.

        Paula
      • costacoffee2
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 14, 2014
          Chances are rising that you won't be given a 90 day visa. If you are wanting to 'do it the right way' and are intending to stay,  you should apply for residency.
          You cannot and should not argue with the border officials, as you will not win.
          Check with your airline if you can bring 4 pets on the airplane, although some could be transported as excess baggage.

        • jimmymickey72
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 14, 2014
            Hi Beth,

            Honestly, if you're looking to stay in Costa Rica permanently, in this day and age you really should apply for residency as it's no longer a given by any means that you'll keep getting 90 day visas. If you do get refused reentry, or more likely, get given a less-than-90 day-stay, there's nothing you can do there. No recourse, nothing. As someone also pointed out here, you won't win any arguments with them!

            With that said, if you've never been here before, and as such your passport doesn't show a ton of CR entry and exit stamps in it, you should - SHOULD - be okay for at least the first two or three times, as there's no "history" on your passport. After that though, it will more than likely get tougher, as that "history" will accumulate.
          • magedelimage
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 14, 2014
              "...not argue..."
              Another person said the same thing.
              I do not at all approve that.
              By experience (and with a lot of gringos), there are mostly always a way to convince the officials, in CR and in Panama.
              I just went to the border today for my visa run.
              Bla bla bla... need this, need that... don't have this, don't have that...
              And I'm back with another 90 days visa.
              So yes, with the good attitude (which few gringos americanos have), you can manage to bypass some laws here and there.
              Never be nervous, never feel guilty, always be polite... SPEAK IN SPANISH...

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 15, 2014
                For the record, were you required to stay overnight/24 hours?

              • Kathleen
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 15, 2014
                  FWIW ...

                  By law (apparently) you are not required to spend a specific amount of time out of country unless you are bringing back "goods", however we always travel by bus and I don't want to spend my precious $$ on bus fare and not stay for a bit and enjoy another sub-culture!  Why take the chance.  Going to Granada on Monday, so if we have problems on Thursday, count on hearing about it.  Wish us luck?

                • magedelimage
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 16, 2014
                    ---costacoffee2@...> wrote: For the record, were you required to stay overnight/24 hours?
                    Yes, i was ask to do so on the 4th step: the Entrada en Costa Rica. But I did'nt.
                    By the way, the 7$ exit tax that I paid in advance was not necessary.
                  • costacoffee2
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 16, 2014
                      From reports here CRL and else where they have been told they are required to stay overnight-24 hours.
                       Info is for others

                    • magedelimage
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 16, 2014
                        At your Entrada en Costa Rica, you will be asked for a exit ticket to your country.
                        So, be prepared (a ticket or a very good excuse... or a transparent blouse ;-)

                        ---kateedidnt@... wrote: Going to Granada on Monday, so if we have problems on Thursday, count on hearing about it.  Wish us luck?
                      • costacoffee2
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 16, 2014
                          To be more precise, were you then given less than the 'hoped for 90 days'? If so, how many?
                        • magedelimage
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 16, 2014
                            Let's clear that once for 2014.
                            If you do not exit CR 24 hrs, you will be given either 30, 45 or 60 days visa, depending on your attitude and the mood of the officier (and if there is more than one officer in the office).
                            BUT, since you are now asked for a return airplane ticket when you enter ANY CR entrances,
                            they will give you a visa according to your Departure Date from San José (or Liberia).

                            ---costacoffee2@...wrote: To be more precise, were you then given less than the 'hoped for 90 days'? If so, how many?
                          • ebrasslmt
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 16, 2014
                              Thank you everyone for the valuable information/experiences. We have thoroughly researched each part of our stay, and wanted to hear more from gringos living in CR now or have in the past.

                              We appreciate your suggestions, and hopefully some of it will come in handy!

                              Beth
                            • kateedidnt97138
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 21, 2014
                                For the record, our experience @ Peñas Blancas yesterday.  Having stayed in Granada for three nights, we board Tica Bus for the trip back to CR.  Short (45 minute) layover on the Nica side, then over to CR.  After comments on this board, I was actually a little nervous about getting in, let alone with a 90 day stamp.  Hand the nice lady our passports with open TicaBus tickets to NI and make small talk about the heat (she was cold, wearing a sweater), she stamps our passports and gives us 90 days ... with a smile then has me take her hand to show me just how cold she was.  No excuses, no ticket to the States, no transparent blouse.
                              • costacoffee2
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 21, 2014
                                  The main point is you went to Nicaragua not Panama....and you had stayed more than the 'required' 24 hrs/overnight, the 'new requirement' that is being required by CR officials at the Paso Canoas border crossing

                                • suethomas249
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 24, 2014
                                    24 hours was not required last Thursday. I shopped for a couple hours and exited Panama. Got 90 days entering Costa Rica. Piece of cake.