Air Fare to Costa Rica

  • Robert Williams
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 7, 2014
      Martin said:

      <I’m planning a trip to CR. I was wondering whether anyone has any tips as to where I can find the least expensive air fares from the US?

      That is like asking the difference in price in a Volkswagen opposed to a Mercedes.

      The price of a ticket to either San Jose or Liberia depends on where you are flying from, and whether or not the flight is direct or with stops. For instance, I am from Ft Myers, Florida and I can fly with stops on either United, Delta or Us Air for between $600-$700, round trip. Typically it is a 7 or 8 hour trip each way, due to changing plane. Or I could fly Jet Blue a 2 1/2 hour flight directly into Ft. Lauderdale for $300 or less, round trip, and rent a car one way to Ft Myers, and then rent a car back to Ft. Lauderdale. Rental car usually running $50 or less each way.

      And I could fly SPIRIT into Ft Lauderdale, but with "add on" fees they are more expensive than Jet Blue.Plus their service is lousy.

      Though my flying experience might be limited, I prefer Jet Blue and United to the other airlines. I have on occasion flown United round trip to Ft Myers, changing planes in Houston. If the fare was $100 less I would pay the difference and fly into Ft Myers rather than flying Jet Blue into Ft. Lauderdale.

      Robert
    • hippieforever3
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2014

        www.kayak.com      ----- don't need anything more

        H4E

        <I’m planning a trip to CR. I was wondering whether anyone has any tips as to where I can find the least expensive air fares from the US?
      • Martin Rice
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 8, 2014
          What I finally came up with was $367.00 from Atlanta to San José round trip + $74.00 round trip shuttle Chattanooga Atlanta for a total of $441.00. I found that on airfast.com and the same thing on kayak.com. This was with Spirit. I’ll take a chance with the service and I couldn’t find any add on fees.

          Thanks for the responses.
          Martin
        • costacoffee2
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 8, 2014

            Don't forget their are entry and exit fees for Costa Rica.

          • hippieforever3
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 8, 2014

              Spirit charges extra for EVERYTHING and $UX.

              Good luck,

              H4E

            • Robert Williams
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 8, 2014
                Martin Said:

                <This was with Spirit. I’ll take a chance with the service and I couldn’t find any add on fees.|

                Last time, which will be the last time, Spirit charged for all of the check in luggage, as well as the carry on luggage. Also one is allowed to carry only 40 lb. in a bag checked in. If it has 41 lb, you pay a $25 surcharge. Plus when I boarded in Ft Lauderdale the cabin steward tried to herd the passengers as if they were cattle.

                A random example. If one flew Spirit on March 24, one way to Ft. Lauderdale with two check in pieces and one carry on (without backpack) the charge would be: $135.55 for the ticket, plus for $35 for the carry on, plus $30 first check in (40lb maximum), plus $40 for the second checkin (40 lb maximum) for a total of $240.55. By contrast on the same date one could fly Jet Blue with a ticket price of $175, which includes in 50 lb checkin, one carryon and one personal item (backpack). The second 50 lb. checkin would cost $40, for a total of $215; OR $25.55 LESS THAN Spirit. Candidly, I would fly Jet Blue even if it was $25.55 more. And do not forget the Coke and chips; it is included with Jet Blue, but will cost you on Spirit.

                I will never fly Spirit again, at any cost.

                Robert
              • John French
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 9, 2014
                  But Spirit does have padding on the plywood seats, don't they :-)

                  John French
                  P.S. Or do you have to bring your own padding, and if so, what do they
                  charge for letting it on the plane?
                • Robert Williams
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 9, 2014
                    > But Spirit does have padding on the plywood seats, don't they :-)

                    All jokes aside before moving to Costa Rica I lived in Ft Myers, FL. I knew one man who retired from Delta and one retired from American. To supplement their retirement income they worked for a service company owned by Delta to service planes of smaller sized carriers; companies that were not big enough to afford their own service staff.

                    These two told me that this company serviced Spirit planes at RSW, and that Spirit typically cut every corner possible. Both of these men said they would never fly Spirit, and one even told me that in the luggage compartment of Spirit's planes were void of any floors, that the luggage rested on the "skin" of the plane.

                    Robert