Delayed mail through Aerocasillas

  • rdresslar
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 22, 2014
      I've had real trouble with mail being delivered through Aerocasillas lately. I recognize the Christmas rush may have had something to do with it, but it's getting more and more difficult to rely on them. I'm not talking about packages but rather FedEx and USPS priority mail

      I had last month, two different priority USPS mails that were sent on the 12th and 16th that arrived at the main Aeropost office in Miami two days later on the 14th and 18th (verified by the USPS tracking number). I received them on the 10th and 15th of this month here in CR at the local Aerocasillas office in Guadalupe. They showed me the customs receipt that the envelopes cleared customs the day before.

      So either they were held up in customs (which is strange for an evelope) here in CR, or they were sat on in Miami at Aeropost. Aeropost wasn't very helpful when I chatted with them in that they don't log in mail received even if its FedEx or USPS priority mail, but suggested the problem was here in CR. Aerocasillas suggested the problem was with Aeropost in Miami.

      Either way, I'm about fed up with the entire organization.

      Anybody have suggestions on a more reliable mail service? Aerocasillas is fine with packages ordered online, it's only important mail they seem to not deal with well.

      Many thanks,

      Arne

    • Sheilah Worrell
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 23, 2014
        We've also had problems with Aerocasillas.  Received a birthday card on Jan 14, it was mailed from the U.S. on Dec 4. Then on Jan 18 we received a Christmas card that had been mailed on Dec. 11.  Poor service considering what they charge.

        Sheilah
        ☻/ღ˚ •。* ♥ ˚ ˚✰˚ ˛★* 。 ღ˛° 。* °♥ ˚ • ★ *˚ .ღ 。
        /▌*˛˚ღ •˚ ˚...1 mile high in Costa Rica, Pura Vida!!..... ˚ ✰* ★
        / \ ˚. ★ *˛ ˚♥* ✰。˚ ˚ღ。* ˛˚ ♥ 。✰˚* ˚ ★ღ ˚ 。✰ •* ˚

      • Dr. Diane Kholos Wysocki
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 23, 2014
          I was wondering if anyone knows how to get my us mail to not be forwarded anymore to aerocasillas. They seem to not really be sure in the office.

          Diane Kholos Wysocki, Professor Emerita
        • mark_01vino
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 24, 2014

            I can understand that response the response from Aerocasillas. They don't control who you have send mail to them.

            I would imagine that you need to contact those who are sending mail to you, via AC, and either ask them to stop or give then a different mailing address.

            I personally go for the paperless option if offered by financial institutions, etc. so I receive communications via email.

          • steveandpaulacr
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 24, 2014
              Actually that is rather good service for Costa Rica. Chances are the mail sat at the airport waiting for a truck and then the truck sat their until it will filled up.

              Paula
            • John Randall
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 24, 2014
                From mid-November to current date we've experienced terrible delays, and in some cases mail that has simply vanished. Overall we've been pleased with Aerocasillas, however two weeks ago I stopped to the office in Escazu and complained that while we were getting packages, "regular" mail was not being delivered. Perhaps this forum can "push a rope" up to Miami to tell them that even small pieces of mail are important.

                John
                Atenas
              • Rorgdavis
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 24, 2014
                  Everyone I talked to said to NOT expect anything to process from Dec 20 to Jan 10.  Doesn't matter what, CR government and most offices are closed during that time.

                  Robert
                • rdresslar
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 24, 2014

                    Mark,

                    Thank you for the advice, but unfortunately, some mail needs to be paper.

                    Any other suggestions?

                    Arne

                  • Jim Cottone
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 25, 2014
                      If it is an important document that is time sensitive I would recommend one of the true express carriers. UPS, FedEx or DHL. They seem to be able to get anything, anywhere, within a week.

                      Jim

                      --
                      Jim Cottone
                      American Professional Photographer
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 25, 2014
                        The first mail that I received in January was last week.  This week I got more and it seems to be beginning to trickle through.

                        Last week a "package" was received which was mearly a letter sized envelope containing a credit card which was "shipped" in a document envelope via FedEx.  The bank insisted on a street address resulting in mail becoming a package.  In spite of insisting that customs requiring an invoice (I sent them a proforma invoice for $0.0) there were no custom charges but $12.50 shipping charges. It would have been about a$1.50 if it had been "mail".

                        Last Thursday (Jan. 16) Amazon sent me a package that was received in Miami of Jan. 17 and I was notified by AC on Jan. 20 that it was ready for pickup.  This on was in a Priority Mail Box and again $12.90 shipping charges but only $3.29 custom charges of which $2.00 is the custom's service charge.

                        I note from the above that the 4 days including a weekend from original shipper to counter is the fastest service that I every received from AC. But like others the mail moves as slow as in Rapid City.
                      • jckincy
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 26, 2014
                          "If it is an important document that is time sensitive I would recommend one of the true express carriers. UPS, FedEx or DHL. They seem to be able to get anything, anywhere, within a week."

                          This is so true except very expensive. I used FedEx once to sent something from FL to CR and it cost over $100. Plus I had to drive down to a zona franca in Heredia from Grecia to pick it up.

                          I have since concluded from experience that Correos / USPS is the best way to go to/trom the US.  From my local office a document can be sent in five (5) business days for about $25 via Correos EMS, you get a tracking number that works in both the CR and US systems and less hassle.  From the US the Priorty mail via USPS works the same, is a little cheaper (the last time I used at least) and again same tracking system and pick up at your nearest Correos office.

                          Of course if you don't need tracking and have a way to get the proper US postage stamps, you can send mail to the US via AeroPost (AC) for about $6.

                        • Ben Benton
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 26, 2014
                            For the person wanting to stop unwanted mail through Aerocasillas:
                            Aerocasillas has an important money saving feature.  You can refuse any correspondence and you will not be charged for that piece.  They will return it to the US postal system where it will be returned to sender or dead lettered.  You are not charged for any correspondence until you accept it.  For refused mail, you will get a receipt indicating that is is refused and will show a charge of $0.00.

                            --
                             David Benton, San Rafael del Norte, Jinotega, Nicaragua

                            505-5716-5400 cell
                            505-2784-2200 home
                          • Michael Josephy
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 26, 2014
                              > Aerocasillas has an important money saving feature. You can refuse any correspondence and you will not be charged for that piece.

                              That's true, and a selling point for them.

                              > They will return it to the US postal system where it will be returned to sender or dead lettered.

                              That's not true. In my experience, if you refuse mail, they just throw
                              it in the trash, sorry, the recycling bin. At least that's what I see
                              at their counter when I refuse what's evidently junk mail, often not
                              even addressed to me. It's hardly worthwhile for them to fly it back
                              to the States.

                              Michael Josephy <mjosephy@...>