Fluorescent bulbs with two prongs?

  • Carole Saylor
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 8, 2014
      I have six small spotlights using a two-prong base in my kitchen.  I love a well-lighted cooking space.  Unfortunately, due to the cost of electricity I think I need to replace them with fluorescent bulbs.  Does anyone know where to buy fluorescent bulbs using a two-prong base?
      As always, thanks for your help.
      Carole
    • alajuelanorth
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 8, 2014
        Carole, skip flourescent maybe go to LED? . . . .we can now buy GU10 LED bulbs at the Sylvania "outlet" in Pavas for less than $10 each in a soft white (not sure what flavors/watts they have) - assume you mean GU 10 (they swivel in with 2 metal blobs on the end of posts)?

        Berni

        p.s. tests with $4 and $5 LED's direct from China have been mostly failures so far . . . 20% failed within a month, a spot that was supposed to be dimmable does not and worst of all none have any labels or identification so "my guys" have no idea about no idea when it comes to changing a light bulb . . .  there's a Polish joke in here somewhere involving Chinese :-))
      • jckincy
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 8, 2014
          Carole, what you are discribing are halogen lamps type GU10 typically 50W but I have found 35W.  There are two types of GU10, one has two pins at the base about 1mm in diameter and the other has two pins about 4,5mm and flat on the bottom.  I have bought the later at WalMart in a 35W.  I have bought both types at EPA and some of the ferraterias in Grecia has 1mm type but I am not sure of the others. EPA is starting to stock several LED replacements but I am not sure if they have these.  Effective 1 Jan 2014 the old incandescent bulbs were banned in the US and apparently on CR also because you can't find them in stores.  I was having a problem with some lamps and fixtures as the coil type CFL's were too big but then I found a CFL type by Sylvania that are the same size as the old bulbs (10W, 60W equivalent).

          Berni is on to something though, if you can find them buy the LED type, more expensive but last 10,000 to 20,000 or more hours vs 2000-3000 hours for the halogens and the LED's do not get hot like the Halogens. The CFL's use less electric power than the old incandescent bulbs but the LED's use much less than CFL's and have a much longer life but the drawback has been high cost.  Now the prices are coming down to a resonable range if you shop for them.
        • stanhopi
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 8, 2014

            As to the LED bulbs, while they currently are still a bit expensive, for a similar number of lumens that an incandescent bulb produces, the LED bulb uses about a quarter of the energy of the former to produce the same amount of lumens.  That's also significantly less than the compact fluorescents (CFs - those 'twisty-freeze'-looking bulbs) use.

            LEDs are also supposed to last much longer than either of the two other types and are less prone to damage or failure from s sharp shock or banging about, a useful feature in an earthquake-prone area like CR.

            HTH

            Paul M.

            ==

          • Mark Van Patten
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 9, 2014
              Wear a miner's hat? There has to be better ways to reduce energy consumption than swapping out a few bulbs that are only used a relatively short time - while you prepare ingredients.

              Please read GoingLikeSixty.com
            • Anne
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 9, 2014
                Here is a website showing costs, etc. of all three types of bulbs:  http://www.designrecycleinc.com/led%20comp%20chart.html
              • alajuelanorth
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 9, 2014
                  Hohoho we cook for many hours, we'd look silly in miners hats though the idea bodes well for night time gardening.

                  Berni
                  Is someone lying to me - I thought there was a nighttime species of leaf cutter ant that had evolved specifically to avoid daytime gardeners and me?  I was told there is only one specie and IT is very smart.  This cannot be true with 30,000 ant species on the planet (I have been counting).
                • Carole Saylor
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 9, 2014
                    I did some checking on the internet and realized the futility of trying to find this style bulb here.  I had no idea there was no standardization of the bases.  I think this base is an MR-11.  I arrived at that by looking at the bulb and comparing to photos on the net.  It also looks like possibly and MR-16 but I'm leaning toward the 11.
                    I made my monthly trip to the central valley today and stopped at the Sylvania store in Pavas.  I asked about LED lights and he said I would have to rewire the base in the ceiling.  I bought one and will try re-wiring it tomorrow.  I'm not sure there is enough space for the new plug as it is considerably larger.  If it works, I'll go back next month and buy the other five.
                    Carole

                  • Carole Saylor
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 10, 2014
                      Okay, I'm confused by Mark's email.  Why is reading goinglikesixty.com going to reduce my electric consumption?

                      When I cook which isn't every day, I'm usually in the kitchen 2 or 3 hours.  So the LED's should help, I would think.

                      I would appreciate any suggestions on how to reduce my electric consumption, as I sit here in my dark house with only my laptop, the refrigerator, six 15 watt lights outside, and one 15 watt light bulb inside on.
                      Carole

                    • John Kincy
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 10, 2014
                        It is easy to tell the difference between a MR16 and a MR11. They look
                        alike except the MR16 is bigger, 51mm in diameter and the MR11 is ~35mm
                        in diameter. I have bought and also seen MR16's in a number of stores,
                        like almost all ferreterias in my area (Grecia) plus EPA.

                        A MR16 LED lamp should fit the same socket as the halogen lamp but the
                        transformers (electronics package) may not be compatible with LED's and
                        need to be changed out.
                      • Mark Van Patten
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 11, 2014
                          Might help if you share what your kwh consumption has been the last few months. (its on your bill) Perhaps you have a energy "leak" that is making your bill higher than it should be.
                          ---------
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 11, 2014

                            No electric stove, no pumps, no clothes dryer, no water heaters?

                            These would all suck more energy than the items you list?

                            There are many tables like this: http://www.pepco.com/home/education/conserving/usage/

                            but it demonstrates the huge cost in KW/year of a water heater vs say a refrigerator (I am sure they mean the typical home tanked water heater as opposed to the instant on most people here use).

                          • Carole Saylor
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 11, 2014
                              Gas cook stove, gas hot water heater, electric pump on the well (I'm not hauling a bucket up by hand), a clothes dryer used no more than once a week, security lights (wouldn't be safe without them), small microwave used maybe once a day, one small TV, one laptop.  All the lights, inside and out, are fluorescent.  I have ceiling fans in every room but can't afford to run them, same for the floor fan I  have.  I never have lights on in more than one room at a time and then only one light bulb in the room.  That's the extent of my electricity.

                              I was really disappointed when the guy at the Sylvania store told me that they don't have LED bulbs, only spot lights.  I thought that was strange because I know bulbs exist.
                              Carole

                            • Bruce Wacker
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 12, 2014
                                I've had good luck with 12v LED bulbs from China with free shipping. Sounds like your biggest usage is security lights if they're on all night. LED's are the way to go. All the home improvement stores in the states have them, too if you have access.
                                Bruce
                              • alajuelanorth
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 12, 2014
                                  You sound pretty close to optimum . . ..  you may save a few KW moving to LED when you can find them  but moving from fluorescent to LED with your minimal usage wont dent your bill by much . . .I think we have a couple more years to sort out LED's - the white light is ugly, the cheap LEDs are crap, the dimmables don't dim all the time and so on but worst of all they do not pay for themselves as quickly as they could is they were $4 each.

                                  Berni
                                • steveandpaulacr
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 12, 2014
                                    Carole, it's difficult to assess your problem if we don't know how many Kw hours you use and how much you are being charged for them. We use between 290 Kwh and 320 Kwh and we pay between ¢20,000-¢25,000 per month.

                                    Paula
                                  • Carole Saylor
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 13, 2014
                                      It doesn't sound like we have the same electric company.
                                      I looked back at some bills and for 327 kilowatts I paid 44,000.  And that was a low bill because they are usually in the 60-70,000 range.  Gotta love ICE.  They charge those kinds of rates and I can't get the street light in front of my house repaired.
                                      Carole

                                    • steveandpaulacr
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 14, 2014
                                        We have Fuerza y Luz and we don't pay anything like you are paying Carol. There has to be something wrong. You are paying at least 1/3 more than we do for the same amount (¢27,000) of usage (327 Kw). It may be that they do an estimate every once in a while and based on your heavier usage, charge you accordingly when they haven't got someone or can't be bothered to send someone out to check your meter.

                                        Paula
                                      • Carole Saylor
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 14, 2014
                                          I don't believe I have ever had a 27,000 colones electric bill, ever.  As you pointed out, you do have a different electric company.  When I first moved here my bills were 125,000 to 130,000 colones per month.  That was more than I paid in Phoenix with 24x7 A/C and a large pool.  I raised so much hell that ICE changed my electric meter and my bills dropped to 60,000 to 70,000 colones.  So I believe it is still an ICE problem but have no way to prove it.  I look on it as just another indication of my mistake in moving here.  Another in my joys of Costa Rica Living.  :-)
                                          Carole

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 14, 2014
                                            Carol, have you checked to see if you are being charged the residential rate or the commercial rate? The commercial rate is at least twice the residential rate. We recently bout a lot where we are building a house. While it was a lot and while we were building we were paying the commercial rate until my husband went to ICE and had them change us over to residential. This made a huge difference in our bill.

                                            Paula
                                          • costacoffee2
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 15, 2014

                                              We use, thank goodness, very little electricity, and just checked the ICE bill for Dec. We paid ¢15,885, for 205 kw. (not including the additional costs)

                                            • egelunddwayne
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 15, 2014

                                                Carol, Your bill seems high as well. The only time mine jumped when I had a welder here for the month and use nearly 450kw I am in the 300 range most of the time dyer, stove, suicide showers, two floor fans , 2 TV's plasma one LCD laptop and desk top along with router. 25,000 - 28,000 my range. You can figure out each appliance Tv and dyer use on the web site calculator per kw.. For instance TV plasma 135watts X 8 hour day 7 days a week at X amount of kw per hour = for me $10.00 a month. Anyone else pigtailed onto your line??

                                                ---In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, <costacoffee2@...> wrote:

                                                We use, thank goodness, very little electricity, and just checked the ICE bill for Dec. We paid ¢15,885, for 205 kw. (not including the additional costs)

                                              • hippieforever3
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jan 15, 2014

                                                  GEEZ

                                                  Turn off all breakers

                                                  Look at the meter if it is moving, something is wrong

                                                  If it is not moving, turn on one breaker at a time.

                                                  Check what is on that breaker. Turn everything on.

                                                  Watch the meter, see if it makes sense with the wattage that you have running.

                                                  Do this individually for all breakers and every appliance.

                                                  Keep notes on paper or your computer.

                                                  Especially check anything with a motor, like your water pump, refrigerator and freezer.

                                                  BTW - Arizona has some of the lowest electricity rates in the WORLD.

                                                  H4E

                                                • steveandpaulacr
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jan 15, 2014
                                                    How do you manage to use only 205 kw hours? We use between 290 and 320 but I'm very careful.

                                                    We put the water heater on for only an hour a day, we don't use our dryer, we use fluorescent lights, we turn off all appliances that are on stand-by every night.

                                                    Paula
                                                  • costacoffee2
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jan 16, 2014

                                                      We don't have a dryer and don't use our ceiling fans. Have a suicide shower, only have the TV on, from 5-8pm, as we are outside most of the day and go to bed early...8-)

                                                    • Carole Saylor
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jan 16, 2014
                                                        Answering a number of emails in this one.  Sorry if this is piggybacked, I still haven't figured how to delete the old emails.  Sorry, no three little dots that everyone else seems to use.

                                                        I have a digital meter and they don't move until they click over a full kilowatt, so even if I turned off everything, I wouldn't know if something was still running unless I left everything off for 24 hours or so.  It's not like the mechanical ones that you can see move.

                                                        Arizona is in 29th position when compared to electricity rates of all the states in the US.  So it's in the higher rate bracket.  My electricity rate here is more than that paid in any state in the US except Hawaii.

                                                        I tried not using my dryer and it took 4 days for my clothes to dry.  They were so hard and stiff I could have used them for boards.  Plus they would have needed to be ironed and I don't own an iron.  And by the time they were dry they were covered with bird poop and needed to be washed again, plus they smelled like mildew.  So a dryer is a necessity, at least to me.

                                                        I don't believe anyone is tapped into my line.  The nearest neighbor is about 600 feet away.  The closest building to his is a caretaker's house which is only about fifty feet closer than my house.  But I couldn't find a caretaker (I tried 4 different ones who came highly recommended) who wouldn't steal from me, so I let them all go and I turned off the circuit feeding that house.  But it made no difference in the bill.

                                                        I asked ICE about the residential vs. commercial rate a year or so ago and they assured me it was residential.  But I think I will ask them again.  I don't see it indicated on my bill anywhere.  I see a thing that says Tarifa: 1, but I don't know what that means.  They are never happy to see me walk in at ICE so why change that reputation now.  LOL.  Actually, I think they have a "Special Gringo" rate that they don't tell anyone about.
                                                        Carole

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jan 16, 2014
                                                          When we used to live in the province of Cartago, we had a friend who's electric bill was consistently high. The begged and pleaded for Coopesantos to come and take a look. They came several times and claimed to find nothing. Then finally they called again, they turned everything off, gave them new cables and from then on they never had a problem. Maybe your cables are old and there is leakage - I don't know, I don't understand electricity, but it seems to me that there is something wrong somewhere.

                                                          Paula
                                                        • costacoffee2
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jan 17, 2014

                                                            Carole, my husband just checked at our digital meter. He turned everything off, then at the right hand side, at the  bottom, 2 arrows,   <      > appeared. When he plugged everything back in, it changed to say 'delivered'.

                                                          • hippieforever3
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Jan 17, 2014

                                                              Go to a decent ferriteria. Buy a "Clamp-on" ammeter with a scale that goes down to 1A or less. Should be less than $40.

                                                              Go home measure your circuits to see if your bill makes sense. Be sure to take measurements when anything with a motor is on and off.

                                                              H4E

                                                              -