naans and curries

  • alajuelanorth
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 22, 2013
      has anyone been to the new Indian on Lindora?

      The reviews are great http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g1122840-d5039529-Reviews-Naans_Curries-Santa_Ana_San_Jose_Metro_Province_of_San_Jose.html

      Berni
    • Sharon Wallace
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 22, 2013
        Looks great, Berni...let's all get there soon, so that they stay open.  Someone could organize a CRL list lunch or dinner.  Wonder how many it seats.  Wonder if it's open Christmas Day...my children and grandchildren are all on other continents:(  Maybe they'll trade for sausage or bagels.  Probably not.

        Sharon
      • stanhopi
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 22, 2013

          ---<sharon.wallace@...> wrote:

          > Wonder how many it seats.  Wonder if it's open Christmas Day...

          Berni, Sharon, & Gentle CRLers,

          Lenny Karpman reviewed this new restaurant, Naans & Curries, in his Food Blog update for November and waxed enthusiastic about the venue, the selection, and the preparation of the food.

          If interested Karpman's review is here:

          http://zt.typepad.com/lenny_eng/2013/11/november-2013-update.html

          Scroll down to the 2nd to last paragraph to find the review.

          I'm hoping this place will still be open when I get back to CR in the Spring.

          Cheers!

          Paul M.

          ==

        • Annie
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 22, 2013

            has anyone been to the new Indian on Lindora?

            Plus there are Indian cooks in the kitchen.
            A good variety of Indian food apart from the usual Tandoori stuff.
            Owner was on hand and interested in what we think of the food.
            Service was slow due to the large number of clients.
            The waiter asked if we wanted spicy like for the Indians, we said yes but the food was not spicy at all.
            I guess the waiter had forgotten our request since we had to follow up on 3 dishes that did not appear.
            Bill came up to 75,000 colones for a party of 4.
            Over all, we prefer this place to Taj Mahal.

            Annie
          • alajuelanorth
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 22, 2013
              Taj Mahal lost something the last few years  . . . what were we left with?  Nothing!  How is it possible I moved to a country with no Indian restaurants and Costa Rica has the least Indians per square inch of anywhere on the planet (they didn't tell me that when I moved here grrrrr).

               . . . anyone wants to organize an early lunch, we'll be there though sorry Sharon, can't make xmas day . . .
            • marcus collier
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 22, 2013
                Over $150 for 4 people. Rather pricey.
                Marcus

                On Sunday, December 22, 2013 9:26 PM, "alajuelanorth@..." <alajuelanorth@...> wrote:

                Taj Mahal lost something the last few years  . . . what were we left with?  Nothing!  How is it possible I moved to a country with no Indian restaurants and Costa Rica has the least Indians per square inch of anywhere on the planet (they didn't tell me that when I moved here grrrrr).

                 . . . anyone wants to organize an early lunch, we'll be there though sorry Sharon, can't make xmas day . . .

              • tomnpalomo
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 23, 2013

                  I have been making my own Indian food for over 25 years.  I am almost completely outfitted with the appropriate spices to cook the Indian dishes I have loved since I ate my first bite years ago,  The veggies here in Costa Rica are a gift from the "gods" for Indian cuisine

                  Next month, I will finally get my black cardamon seed pods and everything will be complete for what I like to eat.  As to making Tandoori chicken in the authenticate has been my passion.  I much prefer chicken and fish marinated in yogurt and herbs, then in to a hot skillet for a quick cook.

                  If you are looking for a good source for cooking Indian dishes for yourself, try looking up the two Indian women in LA who run "ShowMeTheCurry" on YouTube. They have practical offering for what an Indian cook would if the cupboard was bared when making the evening meal.

                  The natural yogurt here in Costa Rica is excellent quality so I am trying to make roasted garlic yogurt cheese on Christmas with a bit turmeric and ground roasted

                  cumin in the recipe.

                  Tom

                • steveandpaulacr
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 23, 2013
                    Yes I have been there and I would return in a heart beat. I went for the business lunch, had the butter chicken, a fresh fruit drink, my friend ordered rice and I the naan and we split them as there was plenty. We also got a rice pudding dessert for about ¢6,000 each. I think the quality of the food, the ambiance and the service was totally worth it.

                    Paula
                    Fussy eater
                  • steveandpaulacr
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 23, 2013
                      I heard that the owner, cook and manager are all from India so the food is actually quite authentic.

                      Paula
                      Fussy eater extraordinaire