Mind Blown: CR # 1 in pesticide use

  • worthibill
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 9, 2013
      According to the World Resource Institute CR is # 1 in the world for pesticide use per hectare and that, by a ginormous margin.  :

      http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/agr_pes_use-agriculture-pesticide-use
    • denverboden .
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 10, 2013
        Welcome to the real Costa Rica! There is no total paradise. I was also taken aback by this at first, but it makes sense, no matter how undesirable by (our) some standards. How else to grow so much in such a warm, buggy place? Even with pesticides, I extract bright green worms from my cauliflower, and other things I won't mention. No worries, global warming will screw it all up worse anyway. Enjoy it for what it is, and laugh off the rest. Life is short, and the future uncertain.
      • alajuelanorth
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 11, 2013

          Sudan and Haiti are doing a much better job . . .but I do wonder why CR is so far off this scale?  Does anyone have any science on this?  Berni

        • John French
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 11, 2013
            FAOSTAT3.fao.org is the data dissemination center for the UN. Data
            acquisition is difficult, but if you bear with it, you will see that
            Costa Rica uses enormous amounts of pesticides.

            Big government has been fighting hard to keep the status quo in the
            sense that many, many pesticides are manufactured in the U.S. and
            shipped to developing countries, yet the U.S. uses very few on its own land.

            John French
          • jckincy
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 11, 2013

              I had looked at this data from FAO and found years 2000, 1999 and 1997 to be suspect.

              I took my data from graph 2 of the study:
              IMPORTACION DE PLAGUICIDAS EN COSTA RICA: Periodo 2007-2009,
              by Ing. Fernando Ramírez Muñoz, Area de Diagnóstico, IRET-UNA

              My calculations are not exact because of the problem of extrapolation from the small graph.  All units in kg/Ha or tonnes/ 1000 Ha.

              Year    FAO    Graph 2
              2001    21.8     22.3
              2000    52.8     19.3
              1999    33.8     17.8
              1998    16.1     18.1
              1997    33.2     20.9
              1996    21.9     18.1
              1995    10.5     13.8

              The last paragraph of the above study makes all these numbers doubtful.

              "Not all pesticides imported into the country are consumed in domestic agricultural work , about 20 % are exported to Central American and Caribbean markets mainly . Therefore, it is necessary to know precisely , the exports of pesticides from Costa Rica , expressed by active ingredient, to have a clear idea of ​​the amount of pesticides that are used in the country ."

              A break down by type for 2009 was:

              Fungicides 53.3%, Herbicides 27.3%, Insecticides 13.7% Fumigants 5.4% and others 0.4%.

              Those who think these are primarily imported from US, WRONG, the following are the main exporting countries.

              Columbia 23.27%, China 22.01%, India 17.3 %, USA 9.88% and Israel 6.65%.

            • alajuelanorth
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 12, 2013

                jck, still seems data is older, data is missing or data is possible for misinterpretation.

                The definition sez:. Pesticide use, kilograms per hectare, is calculated by WRI by dividing the total pesticide consumption, measured in kilograms of active ingredients, by the total hectares of arable and permanent cropland

                Looking at the site it sez Costa Rica has 4.41% arable land or a total of 505,000 hectares and zero organic.  But don't find a definition of pesticide consumption nor much more to indicate sources.

                There has to be more data when the scale of difference between CR and the next country is so great?  Berni

              • John French
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 12, 2013
                  Great work, JC.

                  I had assumed the majority were exported from the U.S.

                  Mark Twain said that the thirteenth chime of the clock calls into
                  question all those that preceded it.

                  John French
                • alajuelanorth
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 12, 2013
                    A friend who converted his coffee farm to organic after it attempted to kill his dad added " We also know that because of the way we were told to change into organic, farmers were scared of the situation! we know right now costa rica has less than 3% of organic products and less than 1% of the coffee production is organic! ".

                    Berni
                    I was once an analyst of things, and I'm still not buying the number as too far out of the norm
                  • bellcr1
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 14, 2013
                      Its a real shame CR has just about no organic vegetables, fruits.  Often I just like to eat a plate of raw veggys (tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots etc..) washed mixed up and almost make a meal of it.  When I do that with veggys bought in the supermarkets here I end up with a nasty taste in my mouth, upset stomach and ringing in my ears.  I feel much better just eating a full bag of Doritos.
                    • mlulu8855
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 14, 2013
                        Sad , but true !  Stomach cancer is also very high here..imagine that !  Guess you gotta grow your own produce !
                      • Cynthia Walpole
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 15, 2013
                          If you would like organic foods, try km0 in Plaza Escazu. It's only open on Saturdays, but the quality is worth the trip.
                        • denverboden .
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 15, 2013
                            I wash every veg (that's hard enough to take it) with soap & warm water quite thoroughly. I've also heard of vinegar or bleach soaks. Internally, carrots are the only thing for me that give a nasty taste. Gee, I wonder what kind of cancer I'll get? So many to choose from!
                          • cahntact1
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 16, 2013
                              There is a good organic vegetable farm in Grecia.  They sell their produce at the Feria at stand 113.

                              "The high-minded man must care more for the truth than for what people think."
                              -- Aristotle
                              (384-322 BC) Greek philosopher

                            • steveandpaulacr
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 16, 2013
                                I generally give all my veggies a 20 minute soak in a few drops of bleach and a few drops of dishwashing detergent. The bleach kills the germs and the detergent strips some of the pesticides (I doubt if anything can strip all of it). Then I soak the veggies in fresh water for 20 minutes, dry them and put then in the fridge.

                                Paula
                              • Art Sulenski
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 16, 2013
                                  Paula,

                                  That idea the best way I have found to handle CR veggies. The place where I shop has had all their veggies treated similarly but I do it again to make sure. As an ol’ fart and in fair health I want to keep it that way as much as possible. Thanks for the confirmation.

                                  Art