Paying Marchamo on Banco Nacional's website

  • robsoilman
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 9, 2013
      My wife and I are out of CR until just after New Years.  The Marchamo will be expired when we return.  We noticed there is a button on the Banks website that appears to let you pay the Marchamo just like you might pay a cell phone bill or similar.  What we cannot determine with our very limited Spanish is whether BNCR or MOPT or some other CR agency will mail the Marchamo sticker to our apartment address in La Garita or will someone have to pick up the sticker at the Bank or some other location.  We were just hoping to pay it on time, online and be able to travel right away without having to deal with this and risk a problem with the Transito.  Anyone have any experience with this?  Or anyone banking with BNCR with better spanish who could translate it?  BNCR has security that prevents copying and pasting into a translator or screen captures.
    • Kerry Dressler
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 10, 2013
        I bank with BNCR. On the first page you put in the number of your license plate and whether you want to pay for added insurance... the 5,000 colones or other of 4 choices... then you go to the second page and one of the choices gives you a list of all of the bncr branches and you choose the one you want to use. Unfortunately you can NOT have it sent to your address from BNCR, according to this list it was not listed as an option. I do not know how long they would hold the Marchamo for you, but assume it is until it is picked up. That would be another question to ask BNCR. If you are out of country and will pick it up during January I wouldn't think that would be a problem.

        As long as you have purchased it and do NOT drive your car until it is posted on your windshield you are legal. If you just have it in your car, but not on your windshield you could still get a ticket so better you go to the bank by taxi and not use your car.

        If you had a friend who could get into your car and carry your Registration and a note from you, I would think that they could pick up your Marchamo for you... but it might be better to have someone call your bank to check on that.

        Also, after Christmas it will be more difficult to find another place to purchase the marchamo. Before Christmas they are available in a host of places. If your car is in a Sociedad.... you do not need to bring a Personaria Juridica...

        The License Plates are the ones that can be sent directly to your home or nearest post office for an extra fee.
      • Michael Josephy
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 10, 2013
          On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Kerry Dressler <kerry@...> wrote:
          > Unfortunately you can NOT have it sent to your address from BNCR, according to this list it was not listed

          Kerry,
          That's incorrect. At the Banco Nacional online banking site one gets
          an option for home delivery. First one clicks on the Marchamo 2014
          link. Then there's a button for tipo de envio. Then one gets an option
          for Envio a domicilio- Con costo, meaning- Sent to your address for an
          additional charge.

          I've never used that option so I'm not sure exactly how it works. The
          charge is probably a few bucks. I'd guess a messenger arrives at one's
          doorstep with the marchamo. I presume someone has to sign for it, so
          there may be a problem if no-one's home.

          If one uses the option to pick up at a bank branch, there's a space to
          indicate the name of the person who will go, the default being the
          car's owner. So that may work for someone out of the country this
          month, if they can ask a friend to see to this.

          Michael Josephy <mjosephy@...>
        • Kerry Dressler
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 10, 2013

            That's incorrect. At the Banco Nacional online banking site one gets
            an option for home delivery. First one clicks on the Marchamo 2014
            link. Then there's a button for tipo de envio. Then one gets an option
            for Envio a domicilio- Con costo, meaning- Sent to your address for an
            additional charge.

            If one uses the option to pick up at a bank branch, there's a space to
            indicate the name of the person who will go, the default being the
            car's owner. So that may work for someone out of the country this
            month, if they can ask a friend to see to this.

            I stand corrected... I didn't see either of those options.  Strange...

            I do know that I could have paid for anyone's marchamo just by putting in their plate number... I almost did that when trying to get the information as I had all ready paid mine and couldn't get access to the 2nd page.  Perhaps if I had chosen a bank branch it woul have opened the other screen to put in the name of who would pick it up??  That might be why I didn't notice it.  Thanks for the correction.
          • Anthony Carneiro
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 11, 2013
              Re: "At the Banco Nacional online banking site one gets an option for home delivery. . . .."

              My important accounts are with Banco CostaRica; can one only pay the Marchamo on-line with Banco Nacional, or is paying at BCR also an option?

              Cheers;
              Anthony C./Curridabat
            • Michael Josephy
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 11, 2013
                > Marchamo on-line... is paying at BCR also an option?

                Yes. They even offer as a come-on, a prize of a trip to see the World
                Cup next year in Brazil. Good luck!

                Michael Josephy <mjosephy@...>
              • John French
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 11, 2013
                  I paid my marchamo on BCR's site. Easy Peasy.

                  I was given the option of picking it up at the bank or my local Correo.
                  There might have been more. I didn't notice.

                  John French
                • Kelly Sylvester
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 12, 2013
                    Anyone know how long after you pay online that you can pick it up at bank? I'm in the southern zone, Uvita. Thanks!
                  • Michael Josephy
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 12, 2013
                      > Anyone know how long after you pay online that you can pick it up at bank?

                      I'm unclear if you're wondering about the minimum or the maximum time.
                      According to the BN web page, one can pick up the marchamo immediately
                      after paying online. Five minutes later? On the other hand, when I
                      asked a teller about the maximum, he said they'd hold it at least
                      through January.

                      Michael Josephy <mjosephy@...>
                    • Emily Gelb
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 13, 2013
                        we did it last eek at BON  (our bank) in Coco  five minutes at the counter   Ten minute wait  Done!!