Best website/course for jumpstart Costa Rican Spanish

  • anfsst
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 9, 2013

      I'm basically starting from ground zero with Spanish, other than college Spanish many years ago.

      Rather than start with something that is going to have me conjugating verbs, etc. from the start, I would like recommendations for phrases and manners than would help me get around and accomplish tasks such as:

      ordering food

      speaking to shop clerks

      getting on a public bus

      explaining that I am visiting for x weeks

      going into a bank

      etc.

      Does anyone have a cheatsheet/site that covers these basic things??

      TIA!

    • puravidamama
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 9, 2013

        I have found the http://spanishdict.com site very helpful ... I do the lessons and have learned much from it. Great translation tools there too.

      • spanishlessonsinsantaana
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 10, 2013
          I recommend the following books on Amazon.com written by Iris Acevedo A. founder of CostaRica SpanishOnline Language School.
          Spanish Reader for Beginners-Elementary (http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Reader-Beginners-Elementary-Paragraphs-Intermediate/dp/1494293501/ref=la_B00CY1CPMO_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386690403&sr=1-12)
          Spanish Conversation Book for Beginners (http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Conversation-Book-Beginners-Intermediate/dp/149213175X/ref=la_B00CY1CPMO_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386690403&sr=1-9)

          All about Costa Rican expressions and situations.
        • spanishlessonsinsantaana
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 10, 2013
            You may want to check this site:
            http://costaricaspanishonline.com
          • jckincy
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 10, 2013
              For anyone seriously wanting to learn Spanish there is no better book in my and many people's opinion than "Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish" by the late Margarita Madrigal, a Tica born in Alajuela. It was published in 1951 but it is not dated and has a unique method especially her approach to verbs.  Unlike some of her books it is still in print and available on Amazon.

              http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Spanish
              The Spanish Basic Course is available at this link for free.  The Foreign Service Institute (US Dept of State) developed these tapes for their courses but mp3 copies are free at this site.  The first two volumes at one time went for $250 -$300 in bookstores on CD's.  If you speak Spanish well you might look at the other languages available.

              Anyone studing Spanish should do the pronunciation exercises on Units 1 and 2 because good pronunciation will give you a sound foundation no matter what you study in the future.
            • John French
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 10, 2013
                I heartily agree with the recommendation of Madrigal's book. It is
                delightful.

                And an added fillip -- the illustrated sketches were done by Andy Warhol.

                John French
              • Helena Greaney
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 11, 2013
                  Another suggestion
                  Mosa lingua. An app.  A way to Memorize phrases.  My biggest issue is pronunciation. This app gives you phrases for situations  and you say them over and over and rate yourself when you get it right.
                  I started learning Spanish with 1:1 private lessons, then I hired a Tica to come to my house and correct my pronunciation and now this.
                  Helena

                  Sent from my iPod

                • bibbity1
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 12, 2013

                    The best website I have found to learn Spanish is by far www.123teachme.com  It is easy to get lost in this site, and parts of it are lame.  It has many tools collected from different sources, so it pays to explore the site.  Some of them are quite lame, and some are really  awesome.  One of the coolest thing this site offers is online free access to the Destinos videos!!!! What is Destinos?  It is a college level course in Spanish, based on a soap opera designed especially to teach Spanish.  I speak fluent Spanish.   I learned Spanish in college, and then I went to Mexico for 2 months.  The university I went to used the Destinos program.  I feel that the approach of the Destinos series really helped me be able to actually use the Spanish I learned.  Part of that was due to being able to understand Spanish spoken by a native speaker.  I was thrilled to find it online.

                    The great thing about this program is that it helps you actually understand spoken Spanish.  One of the greatest difficulties my husband, (who has had six year of Spanish), has is understanding what is said to him in conversation with native speakers.  I, on the other hand, with my one full year of instruction plus a few seminars here and there get almost all of what is said to me.  I attribute this partly to immersion, but really to the way I was taught Spanish via the Destinos courses. The idea behind the "soap opera" is that you won't understand, (and are not expected to understand), ALL of the Spanish spoken in these videos.  There are three levels of Spanish spoken in the videos.  There is slow Spanish for you to learn and speak along with the video, then there is medium paced narration, and there is also fast conversational Spanish.  You aren't expected to catch all of it, but learning it this way helps bridge the gap between what I call "book Spanish" and actually being able to recognize and understand the spoken word, and speak words of your own back.  So here is the www.123teachme.com link to the Destinos videos: http://www.123teachme.com/site/frames?src=http://www.learner.org/resources/series75.html

                    My own college education included only the first half of the series, as I graduated before I could start second year Spanish, so I am super excited to start watching the second half, or year two, of these videos!!! Hay que pulsearlo with these, and you won't be disappointed!

                    As a note to the original poster, the phrases and themed groups learning that you are looking for are   (like ordering at a restaurant, checking into a hotel, and so on) are covered in the first few Destinos episodes.  So I think you'll find them  really useful for your purpose, then later if you so choose you can pick up where you left off and continue your voyage to learning Spanish

                    Buena Suerte!

                    Larissa