International Drivers License

  • vagabondgringa
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 18, 2013
      I am sure that someone has already answered this question but I could not find the search engine.  Can one drive on an international drivers license after your state drivers license has passed the 60 day mark and before you need to do a visa run?
    • costacoffee2
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 18, 2013

        No you can't.  To be valid the IDP must be accompanied by a valid license from the home country.

      • alajuelanorth
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 18, 2013

           You can if you speak fast or argue for long enough to confuse the situation . . . and stick to your closely held beliefs however incorrect they may be.

          After all look at all the dialog on CRL for the many ways you won't get thrown out of the country with or without a return ticket within 72 hours and a couple of days ago within 12 hours etc etc

          Berni

          ---In costaricaliving@yahoogroups.com, <costacoffee2@...> wrote:

          No you can't.  To be valid the IDP must be accompanied by a valid license from the home country.

        • John French
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 19, 2013
            The law is relatively simple. After 60 days in CR you must have a CR
            license to legally drive.

            But i second Bernie's advice. Go ahead and get the worthless
            international license and try it out. Why is it worthless? Because the
            jurisdictional license it relies on isn't valid. And to top it off, CR
            doesn't recognize the international license, which is basically a grand
            scheme for someone to make money off you.

            John French
          • Robert Williams
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 19, 2013
              John said:

              <The law is relatively simple. After 60 days in CR you must have a CR license to legally drive.

              I find this statement interesting, but contrary to what I was advised. Last December after returning from a trip to Panama I went to a doctor here in Grecia for my medical certification. The next day I went to Uruca for my drivers license. I showed an official my passport with the visa stamp only two days old.

              I had been told by others that one had to obtain the Costa Rica drivers license within the 90 period of the latest visa stamp. That is no longer true, the law had been changed. Now one has to wait more than 90 days after their latest visa stamp on their passport to obtain a Costa Rica drivers license. I was advised by the officer to continue driving with my Florida drivers license until my visa stamp had expired, and if stopped show my passport with my Florida drivers license, not my cedula.

              Incidentally another law has changed. A blood type is no longer required for a drivers license. It was determined that the blood type on a drivers license was of no value for whenever one is injured the blood type listed on a drivers license is of no value to the medical profession.

              Robert
            • costacoffee2
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 20, 2013

                And be aware, if you are 'caught' trying to use this ''substittet' with your out of date home license, your insurance will not be valid.

              • steveandpaulacr
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 21, 2013
                  That's exactly right - the medical profession here will not trust that the blood type on your drivers license is correct. They will automatically do another blood test to verify it.

                  Paula
                • John French
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 21, 2013
                    Robert said, " if stopped show my passport with my Florida drivers
                    license, not my cedula"

                    Absolutely! Makes my point. Because if you show your cedula and it is
                    dated more than 60 days ago, you are per se driving illegally. As I said
                    before, if you reside in Costa Rica for more than 60 days, you must have
                    a Costa Rica license. (If you are a tourist, you are not considered a
                    resident.)

                    Let me draw a parallel... If you move from, say, New York to New Jersey,
                    you must get a New Jersey license within 60 days. If you don't and a cop
                    stops you, whatever you do, don't show him any ID that says you have
                    lived in New Jersey for more than 60 days.

                    John °¿°
                  • costacoffee2
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 21, 2013

                       Could get yourself into trouble if your tourist visa stamp is now 'out dated'.

                      And you are usually given a 90 day tourist visa, so if that is no longer valid, neither is your home drivers license.

                      Of course, if you have already applied for residency, you still have to leave CR to reset the home drivers license until the passport is LEGALLY outdated and you have your cedula in hand, then you can apply for a CR license. 8-)