Stock Trading and Internet

  • wash_me91
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 4, 2013
      Not sure if any of you trade stocks but was wondering if the internet is good enough in costa rica to handle a daytrading platform.

      John
    • costacoffee2
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 5, 2013

         This would VERY much depend on where you choose to live and what internet is available.

      • Going Like Sixty
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 5, 2013
          Only if you are in San Jose and pay for fiber and redundancy. Pro online gamblers live and work in Costa Rica - same thing?

        • Sharon Wildey
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 5, 2013
            I just tried to use the internet for a teleconferencing call on Sunday night with a computer dedicated to magic jack and skype.  I still had static interference.  BTW you have to buy minutes to use magic jack for a teleconference.

          • Jim Cottone
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 5, 2013
              " a computer dedicated to magic jack and skype.  I still had static interference."

              Skype and Magic Jack do not play well together. If you want to use them both at the same time you should get a Magic Jack Plus that plugs into your router, and use the computer for Skype. For that kind of setup I would want a 4 MB connection.
              --
              Jim Cottone
              American Professional Photographer
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 5, 2013

                You think the average speeds in Costa Rica are about 1mps? I am thinking 1mps would be hard to live trade with, 4mps would be would ok but not great. I am wanting to move to Costa Rica but don't want internet speeds to determine where I live. I am guessing I would need to stream line my trading platform, instead of three monitors one would have to do.

                John

              • jckincy
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 6, 2013
                  I had to give up on Magic Jack after about 3 years of working OK I began to have all kind of grief which started by using MJ+.  I had three MJ+ dongles all go up in smoke, two connected to the router and one in the laptop.  My backup MJ dongle went up in flames while using it for SKYPE calls.  The original MJ dongle which I had for about 3+ years and had an extra 5 year subscription on then finally failed.

                  I now have over two years left on the original MJ but it is not transferable to new dongles.  The last two I bought I could not get to register and tried on three different computers, 3 types of windoze, no firewalls and so forth.  I wasted an unbelievable amount of time on this and came to the conclusion that Google's customer service is so much better than MJ's.  What, Google doesn't have customer service?  That is why it is better, you don't have to waste your time with it.

                  I bought a little device called "ConnectMe" from Amazon that I have connected to my router. It installs to your Skype account and connects to your telephone, you can also connect a landline (POTS) into it and make both Skype and regular phone calls from the same telephone.
                  I also got a Skype number so I can make and receive both Skype and regular calls via Skype at low cost.  The ConnectMe has a 50 number speed dialer which can be programmed to both Skype and regular numbers you call over Skype.  I dial *7 to call +18005551212 or *8 to call "butthead" as an example.  We like this because we have wireless extensions and don't have to be in the same room as the computer to make or receive calls nor even have the computer on all the time.

                  The bad news in Costa Rica is that there is lightning almost everyday during the rainy season so we have to disconnect both the landline and the cat5 wifi feed into the house everytime we hear thunder.  Or spend hundreds of $ every year replacing equipment.  I don't worry too much about the AC mains as I have a suppressor on the mains as well as every outlet where electronics are connected.  I have never had any luck with telephone suppressors though. In over thirty years in Florida and 4 years in CR all my grief with lightning has come through telephone or cat5 lines, both of which are hard to protect.
                • David Bruyere
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 6, 2013

                    DSL in Jaco works just fine for day trading. The muti monitors is mostly dependent on your computer not the internet feed. I do it and I also have a cellular plan as backup from Movistar and one from ICE as when the DSL goes down so does the ICE cell network. Well at least it did once where the whole country was out of internet for an entire day, luckily I was not in a trade when it happened. Movistar said they worked during the outage but I did not have the account with them at the time so I can’t verify that. Just have a stop on the books whenever you get in a trade…

                    _._,_.___

                    Dave-O in JacO

                  • costacoffee2
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 6, 2013

                       For myself, I would love to get 1mps, but alas I don't... 8-(

                      Some areas have no cable or internet via their phone lines, as they have no land line, so must rely one of the 3G suppliers here and all are s-l-o-w and unreliable.

                    • alajuelanorth
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 6, 2013

                         Some days you just "get used to it" . . . some days nothing at all works.  This country is tough on Type A.

                        One additional thing to add is that ICE service is far superior (at least for business) - when something breaks on a Friday night there is someone at the other end,  Berni

                        ---In costaricaliving@yahoogroups.com, <wash_me@...> wrote:

                        You think the average speeds in Costa Rica are about 1mps? I am thinking 1mps would be hard to live trade with, 4mps would be would ok but not great. I am wanting to move to Costa Rica but don't want internet speeds to determine where I live. I am guessing I would need to stream line my trading platform, instead of three monitors one would have to do.

                        John

                      • livinglifeincostarica
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 6, 2013
                          Have you tried a Datacard???  I have one for emergencies (Goddess forbid I should go off the internet for 10 minutes) & it's not as bad if you have a "plan" on the 30 day one.
                        • Jim Cottone
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 6, 2013
                            jckincy said

                            "we have to disconnect both the landline and the cat5 wifi feed into the house everytime we hear thunder. Or spend hundreds of $ every year replacing equipment."

                            This is absolutely not true. I lived for several years in Tennessee where thunderstorms were severe and frequent. I then lived in Cairo, Egypt for over 6 years where it seldom rains. Since moving from Egypt to Costa Rica I have been living in San Isidro de Grecia, at 4,200 feet, where the lightning is ferocious. My computer system is on 24/7 and I never have to disconnect anything.

                            Having been a computer field engineer for over 45 years I have learned a bit about equipment protection. Here in San Isidro I protect my $5,500 computer and my ten terabytes of external drives by using two UPS devices with quality surge suppressors feeding off of them. The surge suppressors have suitable connections for CAT cables, phone lines and Ethernet.

                            I have some friends up here who have gone through three routers, but refuse to purchase a surge suppressor, even though the routers are more expensive than the surge suppressors. You do have to make certain that your outlets are grounded, but that is a simple task to accomplish in most cases.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 7, 2013
                              Yes we often go to emergency smart phone hotspot in the storms.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 7, 2013
                                  "Many many houses in Costa Rica have not been grounded properly! Berni "

                                  Berni,

                                  What I have found, in most cases, is that they install the earth grounds at the meters and connect them to the neutral line entering the home via the breaker box. The main problem is that they NEVER seem to connect anything to the ground lug, even if they do install outlets with ground lugs. What I do is to run an external wire to the neutral strip in the breaker box. I then take my trust Fluke multimeter and ring out the circuit to the wall outlet, so that I am certain they at least have the neutral connected to the right lug of the outlet. I then install a short jumper on the back of the wall receptacle from the neutral side to the ground lug on the receptacle

                                  Not quite what we would do in the States, but from an engineering perspective it gets the job done. Most quality surge suppressors have a device called a MOV (Metal Oxide Varister) inside them. The MOV is rated at a certain voltage, and when the line voltage exceeds that rating the MOV will start to conduct the excess current to ground. Even with my "synthetic" ground it provides a path for the MOV to do it's job. When a lightning strike occurs, the current surge through the MOV is enough that it self destructs, at which point a fast acting fuse blows to protect your equipment.

                                  Most folks will then replace the entire surge suppressor, but often it is simply required to replace the fuse and the MOV. MOVs are inexpensive, and can be replaced by any technician who can solder properly.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 9, 2013
                                    jim cottone said
                                    "This is absolutely not true. I lived for several years in Tennessee...".

                                    Well Jim it is absolutely true in my case and I lived for more that 20 years in Florida. "the lightning capital of the world". And I also live at 4600' on the same mountain as you but that has nothing to do with my lightning issues.

                                    The reason I have to unplug the cat 5 line is that it comes from outside and the wifi provider and I have an agreement that if I unplug it he replaces the equipment when damaged by lightning events. After the fourth time in three years of having it replaced I asked them why they did not install surge protection for their equipment and the response was yes it is available but we don't use it. The only thing that makes sense to me is the protection equipment is more expensive then replacing the wifi equipment.
                                    So this last event was even more exciting than the prior ones. The cat 5 from outside was unplugged when we had a very close in strike, probably the strongest of many over the last three and half years at this location. It blew the connector , which exploded, off the end of the cable and across the room. In the past the connector had to be replaced because they arc over between the terminals but this time the cable had to be replaced, over thirty meters worth. It was badly burned at the end, for the six inches where it went through the wall and mangled in several places mostly at the conduit bends. At the outside equipment end the cable was burned at the enclosure entrance though still plugged in to the router though the plug was welded to the jack and the board was burned where the jack was soldered. The equipment as usual had no other visible damage but was non-functional as usual and both the radio card as well as the modem/router card were replaced.

                                    So I decided as an engineer to investigate what it would take to protect this equipment. This is a communication cable so to meet the requirements of the NEC I would need two UL479 primary protectors (one at each end) that are POE compatible with outdoor enclosures, three ground rods and all the wire, lugs etc. to install. A UL497A secondary from the POE injector to my wifi router would be nice too. After adding all of the material up I am closing in on $500 and there is still the labor costs and due to the terrain and the obstacles between point A and B including having to run the ground wire under a small retaining wall, water pipes, drains, etc. and boring a hole through a major retaining wall to get to the main ground under the house. My final conclusion was it ain't worth it and no real guarantee that the next lightning strike would not just blow up the protective equipment up and we would be back to square one.

                                    So that is why I unplug the telephone and internet during storms or when I am away, it only takes a few seconds and it costs nothing.

                                    Oh, by the way the reason I unplug the phone is because the last one was connected through one of those surge arresters built in to a UPS and this strike took out the phone like it wasn't even there.

                                    I am apparently one of the few in Costa Rica which has their house grounding up to the NEC and the ground rod installation is much superior to the typical install on subdivision houses in the US which barely meet code if they even do.
                                  • geegeemorgan88
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 10, 2013

                                      Jim,

                                      YOU ARE LUCKY SO FAR.

                                      We live in San Miguel for 4 years and go struck by lighting 2 times this year. My husband is an Engineer also and a direct hit will not protect your stuff. WE have them all built into the house, plus on each item.

                                      IT did major damage to our gate openers, cable, phone, tv intercome and security. INGs did cover that damage, but the fact IS.... IT IS WISE TO DISCONNECT IF YOU HEAR IT LIGHTENING. We live in Fla

                                      also and do it there when thunderstorms and hurricanes come.

                                      JUST our Experience for just the next ridge over.

                                      WWW.CostaRicaMountainHomes.com

                                      gg