Requesting information on Hip Replacement Surgeon

  • healingsong@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2013
      I had my right hip replaced 3 years ago, just went for a check up with Dr. and the left will need surgery before too long. I turn 65 in less than 2 years, was hoping to wait until then and get medicare to cover. But if not, I want to look into having the surgery in Costa Rica. we are moving there in 3 weeks. Will be living on the Carribean Coast. I would want the same procedure, the anterior approach ( incision in the front). Anyone had any experience or suggestions? Also will be applying for residency immediately on arriving, but purchasing private ins. may be a problem with pre existing condition. Any thoughts on that also appreciated.
      Mary
    • egelunddwayne
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2013
        Mary,  Most private insurances will not cover your previous conditions The major one here is INS.. At your age it becomes very expensive. Becoming a pensionado status you join the CAJA  sort of like what Obama care doing now an national health insurance. Figure 10% of your declared income starting at 1K. Plus I am not sure many of us would opt for the Caja to do this surgery and the wait would be years.  Figure a couple thousand to go thought the process of becoming a pension status as well  and approx. 2 years too complete.

        It is not only what surgeon or hospital it is the after care as you already know. Also if there is a bad outcome no tort law here to speak of. I personally would have it done in the USA  but that just me. Good luck stay safe and healthy.

      • costacoffee2
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2013

           Another major concern would be the expense and availability of rehab, especially in your intended area.

        • gringatica2003
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2013

            Mary, I had hip  replacement surgery done through the private hospital Clinica Biblica in San Jose.  Highly recommend my surgeon, Dr. Oscar Oeding and his team.  I need to have the other hip done-congenital hip dysplasia was my initial diagnosis.  I would not recommend CAJA for this surgery..  Clinica Biblica works with folks w/o insurance, but you'd be paying around $12-14,000.  Luckily I have BCBS through my husband's employment we only pay out of pocket around $2,000.  You maybe should wait for Medicare to get it done. Good Luck.

          • jean hebert
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2013

              Highly recommend my surgeon, Dr. Oscar Oeding and his team  Clinica Biblica works with folks w/o insurance, but you'd be paying around $12-14,000

              My wife had doc Oeding  do the hip replacement  also  great doc   no problems   jeano

            • Christopher Robinson Greims
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 4, 2013
                Dr
                Dr.Oeding is  excellent. He arthroscoped my knees a couple of years ago and most recently performed the innovative platelet enrichment therapy on them. I know others who are pleased with the doctor's services.

                Christopher Howard
                Www.liveincostarica.com
                Www.costaricabooks.com

              • John French
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 4, 2013
                  I was well impressed by Dr Oeding as well, and far more impressed
                  overall with Clinica Biblica than with CIMA.

                  John French
                • Rita DeVore
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 4, 2013
                    I could not agree more - he did my shoulder.

                    Rita & Steve DeVore
                    Casa Bella Rita Boutique Bed & Breakfast
                    www.casabellarita.com
                    506-2249-3722