amnesty for sugar cane workers, coffee workers and domestic help

  • alajuelanorth
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 22, 2013
      As those who follow our adopted countries' tribulations with getting any laws passed will find amusing - AM Costa Rica today reports "New amnesty declared for illegal laborers until Aug. 1"

      You have to be employed since Sept 18th, you have 10 months to file and need a note from your embassy.  If you don't do it you may be fined $100.  And you have to be in certain high labor jobs - construction, sugar, coffee, etc.

      Makes you wonder?  Maybe AM Costa Rica will follow up on this with more fun data . . .

      Berni
    • Benjamin Over

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 24, 2013

           Why would this be a Freudian slip?  The word "etc" seems to sum up the possibilities of anyone in a high labor job?

          I was hoping for some Tico commentary from those with a better understanding of the labor climate than I?

          I find the passing of this to law to be so far removed from the asinine debate on immigration in the US that I was hoping someone might elucidate.  Also if you are fined $100 what happens next?  Fined again next time you are find I mean found?

          Berni

          ---In costaricaliving@yahoogroups.com, <obenjamin57@...> wrote:

          Somehow, Berni left out women in domestic labor also qualify to apply for this new illegal immigrant amnesty opportunity. Was that a gringo "gray beard" Freudian slip, or a simple parapraxis?

          On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:26 PM, "alajuelanorth@..." <alajuelanorth@...> wrote:

          As those who follow our adopted countries' tribulations with getting any laws passed will find amusing - AM Costa Rica today reports "New amnesty declared for illegal laborers until Aug. 1"

          You have to be employed since Sept 18th, you have 10 months to file and need a note from your embassy.  If you don't do it you may be fined $100.  And you have to be in certain high labor jobs - construction, sugar, coffee, etc.

          Makes you wonder?  Maybe AM Costa Rica will follow up on this with more fun data . . .

          Berni

        • obenjamin57
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 24, 2013
            I don't think the word "etc." sums up the female domestic worker in Costa Rica, as was more than mentioned in the article. They are the ones trying to take care of children born to machismo men who care not to do so, but share the same rights for amnest here.
            So, maybe it was just a simple male super-ego train of thought, not a Fruedian slip?

            And, you want a Tico's point of view on this? How about a Nica's, or a Tica's point of view.
            It would seem the labor climate is such:
            Nicas will do the jobs that Tico and Ticas won't do, migracion recognizes this after year after year of such,  and is offering a reward to join, or a fine. Sounds like some type of new health care system in the US. Join or pay a fine.

            Benjamin

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 24, 2013

              Why do you insist I am male chauvinist super ego?  Tico can be and is frequently used to indicate people of the Species CR.  Why do you tell me when I try to explain something that I do not know of what I speak?  I also have NO idea who is covered by the new law, the ones I listed were as told to me and seemed to be accurate.  I strive for accuracy to the best of my ability to research in my adopted homeland.

              I do not feel there is any need to question my statements unless you can elucidate with new data which will be helpful for the debate.

              Let the discussion continue - if you want to help me understand how this law came to be when others are so hard to pass.

              Berni

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 24, 2013

                I'm not the one who insists.

                I don't find it "amusing" or "fun data" from AM Costa Rica.

                I find it being horible, and finally the goverment is taking one step to rectify a bad situation that has existed for years.

                Last year they offered amnesty to anyone with a CR child who was living here illegally.

                Finally, the gov is passing laws to help these Nicaraguans. Those are the people that are being helped. Not North Americans, or Panamanians.

                Finally, the article that prefaced the one you're so focused on states;

                There are 122,400 women working as domestics, and 20 % are foreigners. That would be near 25,000 that might qualify under the new "amnesty law". And, only 12.9% of the 122,400 are insured under Caja. So, the numbers speak loudly as to not only Nicas, but Ticas are also being screwed employed as domestic workers. And, I have little doubt that gringo property owners heavily contribute to this problem. But, I don't have the fun data for ya. All you have to do is look around to see the real situation to absorb the fun data, and enjoy or hate that someone is trying to solve a big problem without bias.

                I would expect the numbers would be about the same in cane fields with males, too. And, how many of those males are paying child support when they should be. That too would be "fun" data.

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 25, 2013
                  Ah now I see how I got your goat . . . the words "fun data" . . . you do understand the meaning of "fun data" in the British vernacular Bob's your uncle and that?

                  Berni
                  You got the goat concept?