Bus Ticket

  • ddeleanu07
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2013
      Can anyone tell me where to purchase cheapest bus ticket to renew visa in Panama?
    • yngvarq
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2013
        ---In costaricaliving@yahoogroups.com, <ddeleanu07@...> wrote:

        Can anyone tell me where to purchase cheapest bus ticket to renew visa in Panama?

        Check out TransNica and/or TicaBus (simple Google search to find websites)... however... it seems that Panama is now requiring an *airplane* ticket out.  (search "panama" in the "Search Conversations" box at top of the Group page for discussions of same)

        Tix to Nicaragua are ~$27 each way (looking at one that was bought 2 days ago) on TransNica.
      • Anthony Carneiro
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2013

          Re: . . . it seems that Panama is now requiring an *airplane* ticket out.  (search "panama" in the "Search Conversations" box at top of the Group page for discussions of same)"

              Costa Rica is requiring an "airplane" Ticket out too.

              On Tuesday last week, a friend was denied entry at the JuanSantamaría Airport for lack of an airline ticket returning him to his home country. He showed them an open bus ticket to Nicaragua, but they said it wasn't good enough. They finally let him leave with a 1-½ months stamp in his passport and a warning to next time show them a ticket home.

              So - you likely won't have a problem entering Nicaragua, but you may have a problem re-entering Costa Rica.

          Anthony C./Curridabat

        • bmryan76
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 4, 2013

            A friend of mine who has been living here for years had the same problem at the border of Panama after checking out of CR they wouldn't let him into Panama because they said he needed an airline ticket returning to his home country.... but he snuck his way to the San Vito Border and was able to get through .... its amazing that they want to repel tourists, and think they can say that you actually have to be returning to your home country...what if you are on a Latin American holiday to various locations....

            anyway.....be ready if you are a "perpetual tourist"

             I just got my residency because I started to see this starting  a couple years ago.....

            www.RichCoastRealty.com

            ---In costaricaliving@yahoogroups.com, <carneiro@...> wrote:

            Re: . . . it seems that Panama is now requiring an *airplane* ticket out.  (search "panama" in the "Search Conversations" box at top of the Group page for discussions of same)"

                Costa Rica is requiring an "airplane" Ticket out too.

                On Tuesday last week, a friend was denied entry at the JuanSantamaría Airport for lack of an airline ticket returning him to his home country. He showed them an open bus ticket to Nicaragua, but they said it wasn't good enough. They finally let him leave with a 1-½ months stamp in his passport and a warning to next time show them a ticket home.

                So - you likely won't have a problem entering Nicaragua, but you may have a problem re-entering Costa Rica.

            Anthony C./Curridabat

          • John FF
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 5, 2013
              Here's the way the return ticket system works (imperfectly, but this is it).

              If you enter CR by air, and Migracion refuses you entry, and you don't have a return ticket, then the airline must pay for the cost of flying you out.

              If you enter CR by air and cannot show that you have the means to leave within the time of your visa (i.e., a ticket), then you will be refused entry.

              To respond to Migracion's dictum that you must have a return ticket, and to avoid paying for your exit travel, the airlines demand that you comply by checking that you have a return ticket before you get on the plane to CR.

              Sometimes, Migracion at the airport (or for ground entry at the border) does not check to see if you have a ticket. Most times they do. Sometimes the airline does not check to see if you have a flight out. Most times they do.

              At ground entry points, having a return (or onward) bus ticket will suffice.

              If you are convinced that you must now have a return AIR ticket when entering by bus, tell that to the thousands of others (Nicaraguans, Panamanians, whoever) who are entering with return bus tickets as i write this.

              John French
            • jrnut Paul
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 5, 2013

                On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 7:36 AM, John FF <johnff@...> wrote:

                At ground entry points, having a return (or onward) bus ticket will suffice.

                If you are convinced that you must now have a return AIR ticket when entering by bus, tell that to the thousands of others (Nicaraguans, Panamanians, whoever) who are entering with return bus tickets as i write this.

                What you say should be true and is perfectly logical and entry should be granted if you have a return bus ticket.. However, in reality Panama and Nicaraguan entry officials are now asking for a return flight ticket from Costa Rica  to your home country before allowing entry into their country. This does not make any sense at all and as a traveler who is headed for Peru will tell you is absolutely asinine, but none the less they are requiring it of those whom they feel are exiting CR just to get another 90 days stamp when they return in a few days, especially if that has been their pattern as shown on their passport.

                It almost seems that CR has decided that those on a 90 day perpetual tourist visa are no longer wanted, even though they provide a good deal of money to their country and a majority are property owners. To me and a lot of others this is a stupid attitude and will eventually hurt them in the long run as other countries will seem a better choice for a Gringo looking for a country to retire in.

                Paul in Perez

              • mdcostabound2000
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 6, 2013
                  We create a word doc cut / paste airline logo with our names, flight numbers, date, & times...works every time.
                • Anthony Carneiro
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 6, 2013
                    Re: "If you are convinced that you must now have a return AIR ticket when entering by bus, tell that to the thousands of others (Nicaraguans, Panamanians, whoever) who are entering with return bus tickets as i write this."
                    How does it make sense that a Nicaraguan, standing on the Nicaraguan border, has to buy a plane ticket home?
                    - - - - - - - - - - -
                    Re: "It almost seems that CR has decided that those on a 90 day perpetual tourist visa are no longer wanted, even though they provide a good deal of money to their country and a majority are property owners. . . . other countries will seem a better choice for a Gringo looking for a country to retire in."
                    Costa Rica has decided to do a better job of controlling it's borders.
                    They got really serious about it when they discovered a convicted pedophile had been living in Jacó and had remained legal as a "90 day perpetual tourist" (PT) by crossing into Panama; he had registered 25 entries into Costa Rica via the Paso Canoas border.

                    I doubt many PT's own property here; I think it's reckless to buy property in any country where one doesn't have a legal right to stay.

                    And I don't know any other country that would be a " better choice for a Gringo looking for a country to retire in" while remaining a tourist, except maybe Ecuador (for now).

                    Anthony C./Curridabat
                  • livinglifeincostarica
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 6, 2013
                      Maybe for YOU it's worked  "EVERY TIME" but I have PERSONALLY SEEN as well as have know people that did that & they were suspicious & they called the airlines to verify & sure enough they were BUSTED & NOT allowed to come back in.  Some I don't know what happened as they were on the bus with me & I KNOW they did NOT get in at that moment.  Some that I've known had to leave & come back another day PRAYING that the same person was not there. One person was told they could NOT come back into CR PERIOD because he had falsified a document.  Hey - take your chance if ya want but that's not why I'd want to not be able to come back.

                      I'm also hearing people sharing that they were refused entry because all they had was a "reservation" without having PURCHASED the ticket.