Joint Bank Accounts Banco Nacional

  • mskeywest2000
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2013
      Husband and I had joint account, my signature shows.  Husband died have to go through court to get the money.
    • steveandpaulacr
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2013
        Nowhere in C.R. do you have a "joint account" like you do in Canada or the U.S. If you and your husband apply for such an account he will always be the "primary" account holder and you as secondary have signing authority.

        Paula
      • boydslv
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2013

          What if you set a person up as beneficiary on an account.  Can that person have access to the funds in the account if you die?

        • mskeywest2000
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2013

            sxo when husband dies the account go =es to  probate?

          • Joe Sullivan
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2013
              You can avoid all of this by planning ahead.

              I went to the BCR and asked them to permit my wife to have access to my account upon presentation of my valid death certificate.

              They were happy to do this and include all pertinent information in my file.

              Fifteen minutes or so spent, will save a lot of time and unnecessary expense later.

              Joe

            • steveandpaulacr
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 3, 2013
                Our bank - Scotiabank, suggested my husband write a letter authorizing me to continue with the account - Desyfin did the same for us, so hopefully if my husband should pass before me, I should still be able to access the bank account.

                Paula
              • Helena Greaney
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 5, 2013

                  If 2 people are on the account, a primary and secondary, can both withdraw money?

                  Why not just leave it as is if primary dies?

                  How long does probate take?

                  Helena

                • mcenerny
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 6, 2013

                    I and my sister, who owns property in Grecia but is not a resident, of any kind, have BNCR bank accounts with each of us as "co-owners" and beneficiaries on each others' accounts. We both have full access to the other persons accounts - we were told by the bank when we opened her accounts that the death of either of us would not freeze the accounts and could be accessed by the other one.  Of course, with all things Costa Rican, you never really know how it will go down until it happens.