US Visa Requirements

  • eskasue
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 27, 2013
      Is the only way for a Tico to secure a visa to the USA via on-line and in English ?  What if the Tico does not have access to a computer....and where do you get the digital photo taken for uploading ?  Help appreciated.
    • John French
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27, 2013
        Don't expect to get a visa to the US if you don't have access to a
        computer. First, you can only easily get a list of things they look for
        in a successful applicant on the US Dept of State web site.

        Basically, you have to provide damn good evidence that you won't STAY in
        the US if they let you in -- such as a job, owning property, family, etc.

        Read their web site. That will give you the answers.

        John French
      • nosliwmas
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 28, 2013

          ---In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, <eskasue@...> wrote:

          > Is the only way [...] to secure a visa to the USA via on-line and in English ?

          I'd hate to say the ONLY way as there likely are exceptions, but
          generally, yes, for a non-immigrant visa to the US, one must fill out
          the DS-160 Online Application and do it in English.  There are 3rd party
          folks that will do it for someone, and one can often find a friend to help.
          I've helped probably a dozen or more Ticos do it.  The online form does
          have some tool-tips in Spanish, but that's not enough to get a non-English
          speaker through the form.

          > where do you get the digital photo taken for uploading ?

          I have never had any luck with the digital foto -- and I used to try.  What
          I always have done to get past that part is to upload some bogus foto that
          I find on the computer (e.g. smallish JPEG), then the website rejects it
          and I get fotos taken inside the consulate.  I've also never had a suitable
          "passport' type foto taken before we got to the consulate accepted.  As
          soon as one gets past security, in the outside waiting area there is a
          foto shop that will take and sell an appropriate foto for a couple mil.

          Good luck!

          --
          Sam

          ---In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, <costaricaliving@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Don't expect to get a visa to the US if you don't have access to a
          computer. First, you can only easily get a list of things they look for
          in a successful applicant on the US Dept of State web site.

          Basically, you have to provide damn good evidence that you won't STAY in
          the US if they let you in -- such as a job, owning property, family, etc.

          Read their web site. That will give you the answers.

          John French
        • edmeca2
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 28, 2013

            Across the street from the embassy there are three shops who will help fill out the DS 160 and take the photo also, prices from 5 mil to 10 mil  Ed in palmares  six mons ago, one nieta got  a five yr visa while one month ago another nieta and husband got a one yr visa

            ---In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, <costaricaliving@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Is the only way for a Tico to secure a visa to the USA via on-line and in English ?  What if the Tico does not have access to a computer....and where do you get the digital photo taken for uploading ?  Help appreciated.
          • islandjerr
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 29, 2013

              After two rejections with documentation of income, savings, house, children and other strong connections to CR, we tried something different...  A letter of invitation and a letter of support from a US Senator..  The latter seems to have worked as the visa is approved and will be available in a week.   Just saying, the Embassy is a politically based organization, and political support cannot hurt...

              Jerry