RE: container home

  • iamgodsjoy
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 22, 2013

      What companies build these homes in Costa Rica? I looked at the site and thought it quite attractive and cozy.

      > Have you ever considered having a container home placed on your property?�
    • Robert Williams
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 22, 2013
        Personally I have seen a billboard on the ołd pista, in the mountains before getting to Puneranes.Robert
      • ticodan53
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 22, 2013
           Take a look at this Container home that was put together in The Tres Rios area east of San Jose. Cost was $40000. I know you would have to get a permit to put in a septic system. You would also have to consider water and electric hook ups.
          http://www.homedsgn.com/2011/06/16/containers-of-hope-a-40000-home-by-benjamin-garcia-saxe/
        • ticodan53
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 22, 2013
          • reefraff9
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 23, 2013
              "What companies build these homes in Costa Rica? I looked at the site and thought it quite attractive and cozy."

              Our container home was built by Cubica, out of Escazu.  www.cubicacr.com.  Ask for Arturo.  We highly recommend them.

              Erich

            • costacoffee2
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 24, 2013

                I was under the impression that as soon as the container home has its wheels removed, and it placed on your property a permit is required.

              • pollo_express_jaco
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 25, 2013
                  From my understanding with construction you do NOT require a permit for anything under 70m. Not sure if this applies to containers as well, but I think they would be under 70m unless you had multiple connected.

                  Catty.V
                • costacoffee2
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 25, 2013

                    I read about the wheels being removed on one of the companies here, that  'construct these homes'.

                    The 70 sq.mt rule was changed a few years ago, according to a builder friend of ours, and now the 'new regulations' says the maximum size for non-architect designed/home-made plans is 30 sq mt.

                    You would need to check this first, of course.

                  • jckincy
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 25, 2013

                       I am not sure what wheels have to do with a shipping container as they don't have any.  A 40' (12 m) container is ~30m² more or less.

                      Dear Member,

                      Please remember to remove any piggybacked messages before posting a reply to CRL. (1)

                      Thank you - Moderator
                      -  -
                    • kateedidnt97138
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 26, 2013
                        True that the law is changed. Our building inspector said ALL construction, regardless of size, must now be permitted. Not sure how or whether that applies to containers, though.
                      • mrlee in Jaco
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 26, 2013
                          here is container home i saw for sale in playa hermosa; some folks want simplicity, others, apparantly not
                        • costacoffee2
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 26, 2013

                            Here is the link to what I mention regarding 'on wheels'

                            http://www.containerhomes.net/products-and-prices/products-details/finished-shipping-container-homes.html