Re: Car storage?

  • Robert Williams
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 18, 2013
      <5 weeks is nothing. Cars (used and new) sit on dealer's lots longer than that.

      This is very true, but the car dealers have a person who maintains the batteries by occasionally charging them on a routine schedule. Many times I have gone by car lots, to see a couple of hoods up, with chargers affixed to their batteries.

      Could you imagine what would happen if a car dealer did not maintain the batteries of his or her inventory? He just might be unfortunate to have a client want to test drive a car with a low or dead battery. How would the client respond? Well, they would not only leave the particular car, most likely they would go to a different lot in search for a car to buy, assuming that dealer who failed to maintain the battery had other business problems as well.

      Cars onmost car lots have their battreies maintained on am ongiong basis.

      Robert
    • crjose2000
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 18, 2013

        So there you are - The Costa Rica Living Forum consensus - Flip a coin  : )

        --- In costaricaliving@yahoogroups.com, <kurts2@...> wrote:

        5 weeks is nothing. Cars (used and new) sit on dealer's lots longer than that. Most new cars are designed to have very low draw when key-off.
        More than 6 months, then I'd think about disconnecting. But even then, I probably wouldn't on a US-sold car (with no aftermarket stuff).
        No idea on a Terios.

        Kurt
      • kurts2
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 20, 2013
          > This is very true, but the car dealers have a person who maintains the batteries

          OK, I should add that I was engineer at the Big 3, working on alternators and batteries. The KOL (key off loads) from every module in the car was monitored and had to reduce to a certain level in about an hour. Total drain in the car could not exceed a certain level - specifically for long term storage.
          I don't recall the time period (I'll ask), but it was months.

          Most dealers didn't charge batteries. We wanted them to charge them, but they wouldn't. We'd see the hit in battery warranty from sitting for 6+ months.

          Kurt
        • kurts2
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 20, 2013

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 20, 2013
              All I can say is that on one occasion I returned from Florida after being gone for two weeks, and discovered my battery dead in my car. Now as a matter of preventative maintenance I remove the negative cable from the battery when gone for an extended period of time.

              Actually there is a cable end for the negative cable that one can purchase in the US which has two purposes. The cable end has a key, and when turning and removing the key the battery is no longer active to the ignition or electrical system of a car, thus negating any battery drain. This cable end with a keyed lock also prevents (or at least deters) the possibility of auto theft.

              I have seen these cable ends in Harbor Freight, but I am sure other auto stores have them.

              Robert
            • Robert Williams
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 20, 2013
                Before moving to Costa Rica I listened to a certain talk radio station quite frequently. On Saturday mornings an independent mechanic had an hour long program. I assume the man knew what he was talking about, he had been in business for almost 40 years, had four sons working in a very successful garage.

                One Saturday morning the topic of his program was battery maintenance, and paarticularly focused on "off key loads". This mechanic offered an interesting, even entertaining recmmendation. He recommended that every man should purchase a trickle charger for their wife for Christmas and retrofit it to her car so she could easily plug the charger in when the car was not in use. He suggested that the battery in such a car could virtually last forever, for it was the "off key loads" that caused a battery to deteriorate.

                But again, perhaps because this man is only a successful mechanic and not an automotive engineer perhaps he does not know what he is talking about.

                Robert