today's CRL home page pic

  • alajuelanorth
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 16, 2013
       . . . is a fabulous weed I found growing at El Toledo Coffee in Atenas, unquestionably the PLACE to take guests who visit you.  A remarkable idea run by remarkable folks with remarkable weeds,  Berni
    • stanhopi
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 16, 2013

         --- Berni wrote:

        > . . . is a fabulous weed I found growing at El Toledo Coffee in Atenas,
        >...run by remarkable folks with remarkable weeds,

        Hey Berni,

        It looks like a flamboyant, spotted Episcia species, one members of a genus which is part of the Gesneriad family.

        Did the El Toledo people confirm that was what it was?

        Cheers!

        Paul M.
        ==
      • Peter Wendell
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 16, 2013
          I don't know if anyone saw the article in La Nación on Sunday on page 14 about the 101 year old Sancarleño who just had electric light installed for the first time 8 months ago, but, if not, it really is a must. It's available online at http://nacion.docpit.com.

        • kohlerias
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 17, 2013

             I have been growing Kohlerias, albeit a different variety than in today's photo,  since I found my first 'weed' many years ago.

          • stanhopi
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 17, 2013

              --- Kohlerias wrote:

              > I have been growing Kohlerias, albeit a different variety than in today's photo,

              > since I found my first 'weed' many years ago.

              Thanks for that bit of info.  It looked like a Gesneriad but while I didn't know anything about that
              genus, I did guess correctly that it is a gesneriad.

              Is all the hair  we see on the outside of the flower in Berni's photo typical of many Kohleria species?

              Just curious...

              Paul M.
              ==
            • alajuelanorth
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 17, 2013

                wow we have someone called KOHLERIA on the board - how eclectic can this group be (despite the problems with neo - has anyone found "reply" or double click the message does not expand it?).

                No Paul, they didn't tell me what it is -  I said "that's a nice weed, can I have some".  :-))

                I figured it might be a gesneriad but i was expecting something taller . . . this thing just sets up and starts growing all over the place like a magnificent ground cover.  I am nearly certain it will be unhappy in the dry season and I will be accused of poor water conservation behaviour by trying to keep it happy.  FYI there are some really huge gesneriads at Wilson Gardens which I would happily live at if it wasn't hours from absolutely everywhere,

                Berni

                just wiki'd it and apparently they hybridize happily in the wild so they could become anything hoho

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 17, 2013

                   Kohleria spicata is seen more often but is a straggly, tall plant Mine, is K bogotensis. I have seen one that looked very similar to the one shown.

                  The leaves are also 'hairy' as is the bloom.

                  They do go dormant when not receiving enough moisture, but bounce back.

                  -
                • jrnutpaul
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 17, 2013

                    > I have been growing Kohlerias, albeit a different variety than in today's photo,

                    > since I found my first 'weed' many years ago.

                    OK guys... I need a lesson on how to find the home page since Yahoo did their thing and switched everything up

                    Paul in Perez
                  • alajuelanorth
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 18, 2013

                      it is the long thin banner at the top of the web version of CRL (if you are on digest/email then you don't see it). . .  I don't quite know what yahoo was thinking but this so called neo is not astoundingly pleasant nor does it respond appropriately all the time.

                      IMHO Berni

                      waiting for my 3D digitizer so I can make better replicas of my mother in law: <http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/14/makerbots-digitizer-will-go-on-sale-next-week/>

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 18, 2013

                        --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, <costaricaliving@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                        > OK guys... I need a lesson on how to find the home page since Yahoo did their thing
                        > and switched everything up

                        Paul,

                        Here is the link to the CRL Homepage:

                        Hey - Good luck navigating nasty NEO!

                        Cheers!

                        Paul M.
                        ==
                      • Benjamin Over
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 18, 2013
                          Neo, Neo, Neo.

                          Yahoo is under a major revamping under a fairly new CEO 06/2012. What does one expect when you can't work from home anymore? "Back to the stone age"? Google that and you get this:
                          http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagoudreau/2013/02/25/back-to-the-stone-age-new-yahoo-ceo-marissa-mayer-bans-working-from-home/

                          Regardless, Neo has so many complaints it could be reversed, or could become something we all have to live with.

                          If you want the old format, sign-up under a new [yahoo mail] name and re-join. How long that will last – I don't know. I just tried it and it worked. Old format on all yahoo groups.

                          Benjamin
                        • alajuelanorth
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 19, 2013

                            Doubt they care http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/18/alibaba-yahoo-buy-back-deal_n_1893769.html

                            Well would you?

                            Here come the mods to shut us down . . . which they really should as this now has nothing to do with CR except for our ability to communicate . . . . then as they say "you get what you pay for" . . .   Berni

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 27, 2013
                              found in a tree in Arenal . . . Berni
                            • alajuelanorth
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 26, 2014
                                . . . explains why my internet is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO slow every daytime and weekends.

                                It has to go an extra mile . . . just to get up our hill

                                Berni
                                User of DSL