Cell Phone standard

  • julesauspitz
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 23, 2003
      Does anyone know what standard CR cell phone providers utilize ie
      TDMA, GSM etc.

      Thanks in advance for any info provided!!

      Jules
    • tanker@racsa.co.cr
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 23, 2003
        Hola Jules:

        GSM is the new standard and there is only one provider here in CR and that's RACSA.

        Deek de geek

      • alajuelanorth
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 23, 2003
          Thanks Deek.....now about how to get one of those (ah but that's
          another story)....so can we get a bit more technical....a guest had
          a cell that worked fine most of the way down here - they are now
          parked in the Pacific off Coco (the Playa) somewhere. They say it
          (the ocean) is less wet that the Central Valey after their visit
          this weekend :-)

          But their question was that their phone worked fine till after
          Guatemala - tech question: is this because racsa doesn't pay its
          roaming fees or is it more technical?

          Berni
        • tanker@racsa.co.cr
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 23, 2003
            Hi Berni:

            Ok I think this is the answer, someone correct me if I'm wrong, The system RACSA uses came from Alcatel the French company. Their GSM system is set up to be compatible with the GSM system in Europe, but not in the US. Go figure most of the tourists are from the US. I believe that GSM phones from here will not work in the states till a "patch" is made. Guatemala was probably a bit smarter than our fine phone provider.

            Have to love RACSA

            Deek

          • Martin Rice
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
              Deek wrote: GSM is the new standard and there is only one provider here in CR and that's RACSA.

              In fact, GSM service is provided by ICE, not RACSA. In addition, if your GSM phone is GPRS capable, you can also have Internet service, AND this is also through ICE, not RACSA.

              If, however, you want to use an email service, you'll need to get an account with RACSA, if only to use their smtp server, assuming you don't have one. However, of course if you do your email through MSor Yahoo or any other service where you can receive and send mail from the web then you wouldn't even need a RACSA account, just the Internet access through ICE.

              I've been using this service since they began offering it at the end of April, and I'm very satisfied. We don't have phones where I live.

              Martin