Question before moving?? Telecom Job as foreigner

  • ramiaeu2
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 8, 2013
      Hi guys,
      I planned to move to Costa Rica, but i have a concern to get a job as a foreign guy.
      I am working as a manger in Huawei Technologies, it mean working in telecommunication industry.
      i do not have any idea about the telecom growing in Costa Rica?
      Do you believe that i have a chance??

      Thanks in advacne for your advices!!

      :)
    • Anthony Carneiro
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 9, 2013
        Re: "I planned to move to Costa Rica, but i have a concern to get a job as a foreign guy. . . .. telecom growing in Costa Rica? Do you believe that i have a chance??

        The telecom industry is growing, but I don't believe you have a chance getting a job down here. You can't legally work until you have Permanent Residency. That usually takes years to get.

        Good luck;
        Anthony C./Curridabat

      • Ray
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 9, 2013
          > I planned to move to Costa Rica, but i have a concern to get a job as a foreign guy. I am working as a manger in Huawei Technologies...

          To work legally as a foreigner you need to be a permnent resident, have a work permit, or are employed in a job that no Costa Rican can do. Otherwise you risk deportation. I know some English teachers who work on tourist visas, I used to do it myself, but they have nothing to lose and can claim that they are doing a job that locals can't do. Just being a telecom manager suggests that it's not a job that locals can't do. I don't know your situation but it always makes sense to come and see for yourself, live in the country, learn Spanish, etc. There are so many unknown factors in your case that one can only give general advice.
        • Kerry Dressler
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 9, 2013
            The only option you would have is to try to find a company here or where you are that has an office here and would want to hire you, If you work for Hauwei , they are very involved in the telecom industry here. I don't know if you are a technician or salesperson, but that might be an avenue you could explore. You are not permitted to come here then legally accept a job without some legal status... Residency or Citizenship. If your job offer is supported by your company or institution, they would submit a request to have you fill a particular position and that request would be evaluated as to whether or not there was a Tico who could fill it as well. That is just for younger people without a legal status. You would be on a 90 day tourist visa if you didn't have another type of status.
          • Steve Friedman
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 9, 2013
              Apparently if you are qualified to do a job for which a qualified Costa Rican can't be found, you can get a job in C.R. However, Costa Ricans are becoming so well educated that a qualified Costa Rican can usually be found.

              Paula
            • oneluckydogg@ymail.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 10, 2013
                In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "ramiaeu2" <ramiaeu2@...> wrote:
                Hi guys, I planned to move to Costa Rica, but i have a concern to get a job as a foreign guy.

                As other CRL members have posted, getting a job is going to be difficult. You can however, get an S.A., start your own company and hopefully earn a living that way. Many expats have done this in the past. Good luck on your adventure.

                O.L.D. One Lucky Dogg Tours Travel & Transport.
                Http://oneluckydogg.com
              • John French
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 10, 2013
                  This business about getting a work permit (visa) for a job for which no
                  Costa Rican is qualified is complicated.

                  First, you must find a company which wants to hire you. Then they must
                  prepare the documents to submit to the gov't that they have diligently
                  searched for a Costa Rican and could not find one. Then the government
                  must agree with them and approve the documents.

                  It is the same situation as exists in the States for allowing foreigners
                  to get work visas. The company has to embark on a lot of work to get you
                  employed, so they must really want to hire you. And it is also the same
                  that if you are to look for work, you must be legal, at the least as a
                  tourist, to be in the country while you are looking. (Or, of course, the
                  company can submit the papers while you are out of country.) It can
                  take many months.

                  Most if not all countries which are seen as desirous to live and work
                  in, have restrictions on employing foreigners.

                  John French
                • Steve Koelliker
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 10, 2013
                    I was in Costa Rica for 3 months from Nov to Feb 2013 and wondered about a call center job. I spoke with Terry the head of ARCR and was told that telecom companies are no longer applying for work permits for foreigners. They'll hire you if you have a work permit already but only at $25 to $30 a day for 10 to 12 hour shifts usually overnight shift for new people. I actually spoke with an American lady who has a work permit and had a call center job. She quit because it wasn't worth $3 per hour. I have another American friend who's a legal resident married to a tica and has a business in both his and his wife's name and he couldn't get me a work permit either. You either have to start your own business or marry into the society and wait the year to 2 years for residency status if you are not a retiree.

                    Sent from my iPhone
                  • Helen F
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 11, 2013
                      While researching updates for the second edition of my book I came across
                      this recent article that may be of interest to expats seeking work in Costa
                      Rica.

                      http://www.costaricalaw.com/can-i-legally-work-in-costa-rica.html

                      Helen

                      Author's Page: https://www.amazon.com/author/helendunnframe.com

                    • 6a0d992edb5c057c9aab8b03d2dc83b6
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 28, 2013

                         Hi

                        with reference to the following message.....

                        > As other CRL members have posted, getting a job is going to be difficult. You can

                        > however, get an S.A., start your own company and hopefully earn a living that way.

                        I would like to ask a question... probably a stupid one but.... you suggest in your response about getting an S.A.??? What is this?

                      • alajuelanorth
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 29, 2013

                           A June 8 message gets a response on October 28.

                          When I look at the thread I can't really follow anything up arrows, down arrows, "# messages" etc . . . is it me that finds new neo yahoo to be incomprehensible and non intuitive?

                          Berni

                          btw to the poster if he is still alive, telecoms  as an industry is almost non existent in CR (almost may be too strong a word)

                          ---In costaricaliving@yahoogroups.com, <illonasteel@...> wrote:

                           Hi

                          with reference to the following message.....

                          > As other CRL members have posted, getting a job is going to be difficult. You can

                          > however, get an S.A., start your own company and hopefully earn a living that way.

                          I would like to ask a question... probably a stupid one but.... you suggest in your response about getting an S.A.??? What is this?

                        • jckincy
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 29, 2013
                            Berni, you must be jesting as there are 119 telecoms in Costa Rica.  At least as of 19/9/2013 if one is to believe SUTEL (the regulator of telcomms).

                            Of course since Number one on the list is:
                            AMNET CABLE COSTA RICA S.A. (TIGO), I am sure many will question the sanity of all this.

                            This list does not include the wireless telecomm providers, Kolbi, Claro and Movistar.

                            Oh, let us not forget the internet cafes.  I am sure they are "telecomms" also. Well, sort of maybe.
                          • alajuelanorth

                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 30, 2013

                                 Berni, you are equated "telecomms" with the manufacturing of telecommunications equipment where I was using it in the case of CR as the inducstry as a whole, that is providers, suppliers and consultants as well as the manufacturers.  The only manufacturer in Costa Rica that would fall under the broad "telecomm" umbrella to my knowledge would be in that niche would be Panduit located in Grecia.  I worked in the "old school" electrical engineering industry and in the old days, '69 and on used Panduit wiring trays and accessories in control and instrumentation panels which may have been considered "high tech" then.  Just before I retired I had the chance to use their fiber optic products on a project involving transmission of electrical power between numerous platforms in the Persian Gulf.  The electricity was shipped via undersea submarine power cables but we also had to wire our equipment for data communications via submarine fiber optics as well.  I used a number of Panduit products on that project and was quite happy with their performance and quality.

                                Having said all that, Panduit's products probably equate to your "telecomms" the same way the manufacturer of the cable and plug on your Maytag washer does.  Not very sexy but very necessary to tie all that stuff together or there is no communications, tele or otherwise.

                                We have come a long way from smoke signals and wig-wags but are we communicating anymore effectively?

                              • rybzero

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 31, 2013
                                    "there are 119 telecoms in Costa Rica."

                                    I was talking about telecommunication companies.  The 119 do not include ICE and RACSA, the gov would not of course require government enterprises to be "authorized.  It does not include telephone and cell phone companies nor satelite providers.

                                    Call centers are customers of telecomms just like you and me.

                                    Telecom is Spanish for the English word telecomm which is a contraction (?) for telecomunication which was formed from the Greek for distant and the Latin for sharing information.
                                  • alajuelanorth
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 31, 2013

                                       Love the old school . . .

                                      I thought my electric gate was being fried every month by rayos . . . now I discover the culprit is relampagos.

                                      I feel better now . . . Berni