Today seems to be sunny for a change

  • jrnutpaul
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2013
      In the last ten days we have seen rain every afternoon. Yesterday winds accompanied the rain and knocked over my entire patch of corn. I'm growing a variety of sweet white corn that grows well in southern Florida. I started it in April and it is just going to tassels. The stalks are almost seven feet tall and to see them all laying flat was a major disappointment.

      We gathered the long wood trimmings from the neighborhood coffee plantation and pounded them into the ground next to the plants roots, lifted each 3 plant grouping and tied them to the sticks. I only hope they stay up another 30 days. We haven't had good corn for about 8 months.

      Has anyone found a local variety of white corn that taste good and not grown for making tamales or feeding cows?

      Paul in Perez
    • costacoffee2
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2013
        Haven't found any so far. Is the corn you planted a 'short day' variety?
      • jrnut Paul
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2013
          > Is the corn you planted a 'short day' variety?

          don't have a clue...I just know I get white corn like what you would buy
          from a farmer in Iowa.

          Paul