Residency Deportation Fees

  • puravidalisa
    Message 1 of 14 , May 11, 2013
      As the final state of my residency, the attorney is requesting $773 in the event of deportation from CR. This seems rather extreme/high. Can anyone else confirm this is more or less the "going rate" these days? Thanks in advance.
    • Jim Cottone
      Message 2 of 14 , May 11, 2013
        I was only made to pay $375 when I made that deposit last July. Don't
        know it the price has gone up that much, but airfares have not, so it
        does seem a bit high.

        Jim

        --
        Jim Cottone
        American Professional Photographer

      • Chuck Mollenkopf
        Message 3 of 14 , May 11, 2013
          My wife and I paid about $335 each about 6 weeks ago for this fee. Since
          then we received our CAJA and our Cedula (DIMEX). Our Cedula was mail
          to us and it took three days from San Jose to Atenas. We spend less
          than 3 hours all told at Migracion. Very easy and painless.

          Chuck
        • ronny.mcdonald@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 14 , May 11, 2013
            --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "puravidalisa" <puravidalisa@...> wrote:

            > As the final state of my residency, the attorney is requesting $773 for deportation

            IF YOUR GETING DEPORTED , I THOUGHT IT WAS FREE
            JUST TELL THEM YOUR BROKE....JAJAJAJA
          • no_good_addresses_left
            Message 5 of 14 , May 11, 2013
              > IF YOUR GETING DEPORTED , I THOUGHT IT WAS FREE JUST TELL THEM YOUR BROKE....JAJAJAJA

              Everything FREE for illegals and those needing deportation only applies in the U.S. :-)

              As the final state of my residency, the attorney is requesting $773 for deportation
            • William Lukensmeyer
              Message 6 of 14 , May 11, 2013
                If you have an attorney doing you legwork it costs extra. there is also an additional fee for BCR
                --
                Bill
              • Kathy Craig
                Message 7 of 14 , May 11, 2013
                  We are paying about $300 per person and ours should be finished up soon.
                • Jim Cottone
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 11, 2013
                    "If you have an attorney doing you legwork it costs extra. there is also
                    an additional fee for BCR"

                    If you have an attorney that charges an extra fee for the deportation
                    fee he is ripping you off. My attorney picked my up at the Embassy, took
                    me to a stationary shop where HE paid for the photos and copies of all
                    the pages in my passport. He then took me over to get my fingerprints
                    taken, then to BCR where I paid the fee - plus the extra charge that BCR
                    charges if you pay in Colones. He also paid for all of the translations
                    and did the notarization himself. Finally, he took me to the Grecia bus
                    station so I wouldn't have to pay a taxi. All of this is covered by his
                    very reasonable fee, no hidden surprises.

                    --
                    Jim Cottone
                    American Professional Photographer
                    www.singbiker.net

                  • John French
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 11, 2013
                      Be very careful of a deportation fee as high as you say ($773).

                      The fee is set by the government -- not the lawyer. I would ask at
                      Migracion and/or check with another lawyer.

                      John French
                    • John
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 12, 2013
                        "Be very careful of a deportation fee as high as you say ($773)."

                        I believe that the so called "deportation fee" being discussed is the the "Depósitos de Garantía" which is a percentage of the base salary, like the much beloved corporate tax.

                        The base salary for 2013 is crc 379.400,00. At a poor rate of exchange $773 would be a full base salary. A look at the law would give you an idea of the fees required by Migración.

                        In April 2012 the fee was 166.044,00 CRC. Other fees required for pensionado were $25, $38, $30, and $30 or $123 USD. The fee structure for different types of residency may vary but for penionado and rentista they are the same. These are all listed on the letter of resolution issued by Gestión de Extranjería. Ask your attorney to see this letter. Your fees per person should be a little over $400, so the extra must be for your attorney's pocket. And having said that the attorneys typically preform the service of making the appointment having one of their English speaking guides take you to the office and help get you past the guard. Once inside you are on your own but they do have some people who speak a little English and that is the easiest of the whole process. If you are over 65 ask to receive your card the same day. It is a short wait and saves the costs of having it mailed or returning to pick it up.
                      • ticojavier2000
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 12, 2013
                          > As the final state of my residency, the attorney is requesting $773 in the event of deportation from CR.>

                          In responding to this post I am going to make the assumption that your
                          application for residency has been approved and now you are making the
                          required deposits into Migracion's accounts at BCR. Is that
                          correct??

                          If that were the case, the answer to your question is provided directly
                          by Migracion itself as part of the approval decree. Read page 2 of the
                          approval "letter." The second page of the approval tells you
                          specifically the amounts to be deposited and the corresponding Migracion
                          BCR bank account numbers. If you don't have a copy of the approval
                          ask your attorney to provide you with a copy, then go ahead and make the
                          deposits directly into Migracion's accounts – get one separate
                          deposit receipt per deposit, there should be 3 separate deposits. In
                          general (we don't know anything about your specific application),
                          there should be three deposit amounts listed in colones, but the
                          equivalents would be $300 (surety bond-deportation), $98 fee (I'm
                          combining three smaller fees into one) to issue the cedula, and $25, a
                          mandatory gift to La Caja, or about $423 per person, regardless of the
                          age of the applicant. Please note these fees are subject to change.
                          That's why you need a copy of your approval. Also we don't know
                          (and don't need to know) what your arrangement is with the attorney.

                          Take care.

                          Javier Zavaleta
                          http://www.ResidencyInCostaRica.com
                          Tel (323) 255-6116 - Fax (323) 344-1620
                        • costacoffee2
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 8, 2014
                            Although your question is directed elsewhere, consider the possibility that since your daughter is under 55, she could have a hefty CAJA premium.

                            Good luck!

                          • costacoffee2
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 8, 2014
                              Is this for one or two people?
                              If one, the cost is way to high!!

                            • kerdres
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 8, 2014
                                I paid this when my husband changed categories last year. We paid $250 for the chanage in category (he went from Visa Especial Docente - to Residente Temporal 2 anos). Plus the $350 for the ticket back to the US. If it is only for one person and just the ticket home... it does seem high, but ticket prices are increasing and it might have something to do with wherever your home is.