Questions about Atenas for a family with 3 kiddos

  • Johanna
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2013
      Hello,
      I am hoping to get some more information from this group about Atenas/San Mateo area. We have some friends that are moving to Atenas from The Southern Zone, where we currently live. They will be moving to La Eco Villa in San Mateo.

      We have been living in Costa Rica for a couple of years. We love the southern zone, but it does fall short in offerings to our children, ages 7, 5 and 1. We like the idea of being closer to the airport and to San Jose, and of course closer to our friends and thier children, who have been living here over a decade in different areas of CR.

      Right now where we live is very safe and beautiful. We are connected to our little pueblo, we have our community, I teach Nia Dance classes and my husband works online and we have pretty good Internet service. We have a nice house and all is well and peaceful.

      We don't have many connections to other families,. This area is very spread out, and besides Thursday Feria, we rarely see other families with young children. The children in our Pueblo are older, so my kids don't have playmates here. We homeschool, (yes, it actually is legal if your children are citizens of the US and are enrolled in a certified curriculum) because my husband travels for work and we go with him. So we really would love to have more of a base for the kids here.

      Our friends say there are many families in the Atenas area, that the are parks (which we don't have here) and that there is just more going on.

      So I guess my question is...
      What all is going on?
      I'd love to teach Nia...are there dance studios?
      How is the internet in town...cafes etc?
      Things for kids?
      Cost of houses for rent? More or less than I'm paying? I pay 900.00 a month for two modern and furnished studio apartments and a small but cute 2bedroom American styled house with furnishings (simple). My parents are here and need a place each, so it's a unique situation.
      What do you like about Atenas?

      We love where we live, but I'm curious, and I really don't know about many other areas of CR. Please indulge me!

      Thanks for all your help.
      Johanna
      Alto San Juan