Customs

  • sidboats
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2003
      Hi Everbody
      I am back again seeking some more advice and information. On Monday
      June 8th I will arrive in San Jose for the first time bringing two
      boxes of check through luggage that contain personal stuff. Not for
      resale but for my own use. The boxes contain hand tools, clothes etc.
      Will I have a problem with this stuff with airport customs? Thanks Sid
    • Joe Schalburg
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2003
        From my own experiences, you will probably not have a problem. Usually
        small items for your own use are exempt. I went through the same
        experience 3 years ago. Had two large suitcases filled with tools and
        other items for the house that I thought I could not buy without a
        hassle. I even brought a large cooler filled with my hand tools,
        strapped a two wheel dolley to it for ease of movement, and came right
        through. At the same time, we had our small dog with us.

        Nothing was checked - even the papers for the dog.....

        What I did find out was that tools are relatively inexpensive compared
        to the prices here in the States. For the hand tools I didn't take down,
        and then bought there, the cost of the items was a fraction of cost here
        in the states. Most of the tools were the same brand as here, although
        there were a few items I could not find of decent quality.

        I'll quit rambling....

        Joe
      • jimmy6902001
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2003
          Sid,

          I go and come to CR 3-4 times a year living here for over 4 years
          bringing many assorted items,
          they have NEVER checked me. I have been charged by the Airlines
          for items over weight and over length.

          Tools, TVs, computers, car parts and others.

          Jim
        • edmeca2
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 31, 2005
            Going North to Miami next week. Is the $500.00/person exemption from
            import tax still in play or have the rules changed recently? Anybody
            with recent experiences good or bad, please feel free to share. Ed
          • michael fealy
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 10, 2006
              CRL,
              I have been living here in Costa Rica for close to five years and during that time I have had medicines sent to me from the VA via JetBox without any problems. I recieve these meds gratis and they are necessary for my well being. However, my most recent shipment was held by customs and I now have to pay ยข22,000 in order to pick them up. JetBox says this will be the norm from now on. Any comments?
              Mike Fealy

              Michael's Old Style Corned Beef
              fealysfinefoods@...
              282 2920

            • John Smith
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 11, 2006
                --- michael fealy <fealym2002@...> wrote:

                > medicines sent to me from the VA via JetBox without
                > any problems. I recieve these meds gratis and they
                > are necessary for my well being. However, my most

                A couple things come to mind:

                1. Shipping medicines, vitamins, etc. into this
                country can be a major problem. You can bring them in
                in person with your luggage without a problem, but
                shipping them can turn into a real big problem. Even
                for small amounts this can be a situation, and if they
                were really going through customs, they could ask you
                to get an "import license" from the health ministry,
                and they WON'T issue it. So, it is entirely possible
                that they aren't going through customs after all.

                2. This is due to a very NASTY experience I had with
                Jetbox about 7+ years ago. I was receiving audio
                tapes that were also free, and they came through
                without a problem for about 6 months, and THEN, Jetbox
                got the bright idea to hold the tapes for a month at a
                time, bundle them up, and then say that the larger
                amount had some outrageous import duty on it. I
                accepted the shipment but when the bill came, I
                refused to pay. When they had a royal fit, I had my
                lawyer call, and they reamed him a new one over the
                phone instead of being nice as I figured they would do
                with a lawyer.

                3. A friend of mine was working as an English teacher
                for an accountant with a major import/export company
                here, and they were doing a LOT of buisness with Jet
                Box.

                I then told him to tell his friend about the above
                incident and a few others concerning my account that
                looked questionable, soooooo

                He sent some accountants over to go over their account
                with a fine tooth comb.

                To say that they found some irregularities with THEIR
                account would be to put it mildly.....

                Needless to say, they terminated their business with
                that company immediately.

                For small, pedestrian, occassional use, Jet Box seems
                to be a very reliable outfit. But, set yourself up to
                be ripped off, and they don't seem to hesitate doing
                it.

                I don't know if they work with corrupt Customs
                inspectors or what the story is, but the fact that you
                were able to get your meds "through customs" sounds
                very suspicious to me, knowing that customs generally
                bans all medicines and vitamins from coming in that
                way without special permission.

                I suspect that if you are dealing with a "customs
                inspector," then they are Jet Box's pet, and he may be
                putting them through the backdoor.

                The 22K colons would be your payoff to this "official"
                to get your meds.

                I bet if you have a lawyer or an accountant go down
                and demand the original paperwork for this bill, they
                will get the quick brush off with a snarl my lawyer
                did.

                Then you will smell the rotten fish too....

                Toucan

                !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Introducing...........
                Costa Rica's FIRST Online Multimedia
                Guidebook! We are still under
                construction, but you can join the
                fun and watch us grow week by week!
                http://www.soyawannamove.com
                !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • dorisw
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
                  When parcels arrive by air freight at SJO which customs warehouse receives them?
                  I'd be glad of directions if anyone knows where this is.

                  Doris
                • costacoffee2
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
                    The problem now is not just with JetBox, but will all of the courier systems and the regular mail.
                    No medicines, food supplements, vitamins,dog treats are supposed to be shipped.
                    If they are permitted, you will probably have pay duty plus be required to use a broker, which could cost you approx. $70 per box, not including the duty due.
                    Depending on which location you are picking them up from, be prepared and take a book.
                  • Aaron Ghadiyali
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
                      Mailboxes, Etc does take care of the permits for medicines,supplements, etc. It is 15,000c for the (health items) permit and then you pay the taxes and shipping. However, they have informed from now until the End of October is not a good time to import any of these type of items due to customs doing some sort of exercise the entire month and any requiring a permit are advised to wait until November.

                      ----