private schools

  • blue.texas@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2012
      I'm doing a bit of research for a teacher friend about opening a private school (elementary level) in CR. Anyone on list who owns or works in one that would field a handful of preliminary questions?
    • marcus collier
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 31, 2012
        One should be careful about CR schools.
        Private schools in general are for profit.
        Some hire teachers with no experience to make more profit. I sent my boy to one and
        learned the hard way.
        Check on the staff above all.
        Marcus
      • nadophotog
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
          We were very happy with Lincoln School

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
            Lincoln School is one of the best in CR.
            Not everyone can afford it.
            Classes in English. Well off Ticos send their
            children there and they speak English when
            they graduate.
            At times there is a waiting list.
            Marcus

          • Irina
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
              Hi,

              My husband and I are considering moving to CR by next summer ( June).
              We have a toddler and would like to get her into an English speaking school.

              We know: ICS, Lincoln, Country Day, MBS.

              Can anyone suggest any others and what experience you have with it?

              Thank you and Happy New Year!!!!!

              ---"nadophotog" <bsandke@...> wrote:

              > We were very happy with Lincoln School

              > > --- marcus collier <apdo1673006@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > One should be careful about CR schools.
            • escazunews
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
                a complete list of school in the western area of san jose can be found in http://www.escazunews.com/directorio-de-servicios-/134-educacion.html
              • EarthFireWindAir
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
                  Hello. There is also the Humboldt School in Pavas and the Pan American
                  School in Belen and Brittanica in Pavas and the Franz Lizst School in Santa
                  Ana and Arandu in Escazu. We send our kids to Humboldt; it's excellent but
                  kids can only enter at the pre-school or kinder level or in 5th grade.
                  People who send their kids there are generally not here short-term. I have
                  noticed that the info about Humboldt is not very accurate in some external
                  websites, for instance, one of them said that you have to be German to
                  attend, but that is not true. Because it is partially funded by the German
                  government, they do give preference to German nationals or people with
                  German background but the student body is mostly Tico followed by Europeans
                  from Germany as well as other countries and North Americans too.
                • earthfirewindair
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 2, 2013
                    Sorry, I neglected to limit my list to schools that are bilingual. I don't think Franz Lizst is and Arandu might be but you'd have to check. The Humboldt School is tri-lingual (Spanish, German, English) but the kids don't start working on English until grade 5. Amazing how by the time they graduate high school they are excellent English speakers. I do think Pan American is bilingual.
                  • Mindee Forman
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 2, 2013
                      We're very happy with the American International School in Cariari - they
                      start at age 3.5 for preschool and go through 12th grade (
                      http://www.aiscr.org/). You can see some of our experiences on the blog URL
                      below or I would be happy to tell you more.

                      If you need a maternal (day care) until she is old enough, our daughter
                      went to one in San Antonio de Belen called Yimbore (http://www.yimbore.com/)
                      that is English, Spanish, and a little French. She loved it. (The website
                      makes it look like it's all Spanish, but it's not. I can give you the
                      director's email if you're interested - she's fluent in both English and
                      Spanish.)

                      Good luck!

                      -Mindee

                      Mindee Forman