Yahoo digests

  • Janet B
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 28, 2012
      Hi all,

      If your posts did not show up in a digest today, please check the group homepage for your posts?
      I assume there is a glitch with the digest function as a good many members are writing to ask about posts not appearing. Thus far they've all been found on the group's page. They were not, however, received in digests.

      Yahoo assembles and sends out the digests. I have reported the issue to Yahoo.

      Thanks,
      Janet
    • tangney56
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 30, 2012
        Hi

        While sitting in Parque Morazon in the daytime I have noticed rats running around the grass and flower beds.

        Any thoughts as to how to rid the daytime critters
      • StephenM
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 30, 2012
          Send them back to where they came from.........the Del Rey???
        • linda
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 30, 2012
            Something I try to do is to respect living things here in Costa Rica. This is their country first of all and I am the intruder. Unless you have been attacked by a pack of wild rats, who are you to decide their future? My home is a "no-kill" area where I remove living things who have wandered inside. Instead of asking how to get rid of the rats, why not just accept that you moved here and are their guests?

          • linda
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 30, 2012
              Something I try to do is to respect living things here in Costa Rica. This is their country first of all and I am the intruder. Unless you have been attacked by a pack of wild rats, who are you to decide their future? My home is a "no-kill" area where I remove living things who have wandered inside. Instead of asking how to get rid of the rats, why not just accept that you moved here and are their guests?
            • henry kantrowitz
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 30, 2012
                >> Any thoughts as to how to rid the daytime critters

                you could call in the army and have them blow them away. oh, i forgot there is no army here.

                second alternative; you will have to get rid of the critters that are producing the trash that they are feeding on. so remove humans from the park and you won't have the rats around. do you still want to solve the problem?

                fortunately the rats make less of a mess then the other inhabitants of the park.

                they adapt to all kinds of conditions as well´┐Żas we humans.
                sorry i don't have any other solution.

                henry
              • egelunddwayne
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 4, 2013
                  Linda, When the rats go unchecked they spread disease. We had here in Costa Rica the rotovirus outbreak. This is a nasty dangerous and health concern here in CR. Not only in San Jose also in the country side. The downtown markets at night are full of rats near my bus stop. The urine on food and we eat can kill the those who ingest it. So cumba! all you want  I live here and want a cleaner safer food supply and diseases in check. Also the flying rat pigeons are  also leaving their droppings all over downtown, another concern as well.

                  I cannot delete the message  still piggybacking

                  ---In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, <costaricaliving@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  Something I try to do is to respect living things here in Costa Rica. This is their country first of all and I am the intruder. Unless you have been attacked by a pack of wild rats, who are you to decide their future? My home is a "no-kill" area where I remove living things who have wandered inside. Instead of asking how to get rid of the rats, why not just accept that you moved here and are their guests?
                • katya
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 5, 2013
                    > Linda, When the rats go unchecked they spread disease.

                    Well every large city has em. Small towns too. Countryside also. Seems you are concerned about pidgeon poop too. Of course there is the cockaroaches too. Costa Rica has maybe a million types of mold and bacteria. (maybe that's an exaggeration or maybe not) and how about those mosquitos. Dengue anyone? Then there's the papalamoya which is a form of leprosy spread by sand flys which abound at the beach. Personally if I am moving to a third world country and had fears over any of the above I would consider staying in my mold free, air conditioned, regularly fumigated, counters washed with Lysol that kills 99.9% of all bacteria apartment in Miami or someplace like that.

                    If rats in Parque Morazon are bad you should see the ones in New York City after dark. They are as big as cats. Scary.
                  • egelunddwayne
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 11, 2014
                      Linda, FYI about 4 years ago out in Turrialba there was out break of the Rota virus. transmission by RATS mostly. I remember having someone health agency making the rounds notifying us and setting out traps in our house. We caught two. Also, I believe here in San Jose at a restaurant I became extremely ill right after eating there and almost choked to death on the bus. Another gringo Jim on the bus saved me or else. . I was ambulance to the hospital. So you have your no kill zone okay for you. However, RATS urine and feces being spread on our food is extremer health hazard. I have seen you post this before. Take care...