Tourist assault at the Caribbean side of CR ???

  • Lebensabenteuer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 30, 2012
      Hi group!

      I would be very grateful if someone could answer the following:
      friends of us are soon coming to Costa Rica (again!) and want to include a
      visit of the Caribbean coast into their trip . They are interested in
      reptiles and amphibians and therefore want to explore the area there during -
      unguarded - 'research trips' inside the jungle.
      Recently friends with the same hobby reported them that they got assaulted,
      attacked with machetes and robbed while on explorations south of Puerto
      Viejo. And obviously, according to their statement, this kind of attacks seem
      to happen there on a more regular basis ...

      Question: this that true or exaggerated? Are there (lately) increased
      assaults on tourists on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica?

      Thanks in advance for your kind replies!

      S.

    • costacoffee2
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 30, 2012
        Since you received first hand information regarding this horrific attack, your friends know more than we do.
        So let's say, if you decide to go ahead, proceed with caution ... extreme caution.
      • pilotswife75220
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 30, 2012
          Not sure what you mean by "unguarded", but our birding group encountered no such problems when we were in Manzanillo/Puerto Viejo a couple of weeks ago. There was a group of us, of course, but even when individuals went walking or bicycling by themselves, they didn't have any problems.

          I recommend using the services of the local guides when viewing wildlife in the area because the guides are very knowledgeable about the flora and fauna and where to find them.

          Haven't read any recent reports of such attacks on tourists, but I haven't been looking for such reports, either.

          Good luck,
          Connie
        • John
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 31, 2012
            "Haven't read any recent reports of such attacks on tourists, but I haven't been looking for such reports, either."

            You haven't read of the attacks on tourists by machete weilding perps recently? A French couple was attacked and they almost cut off the man's arm.

            As recently as yesterday, 30 Oct., AM Costa Rica's top headline was
            "French Embassy asks for more protection for tourists". http://www.amcostarica.com/tuesday.htm
          • John
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 31, 2012
              --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jckincy@...> wrote:

              > You haven't read of the attacks on tourists by machete weilding perps recently? A French couple was attacked and they almost cut off the man's arm.

              Brings to mind the Raiders of The Lost Ark scene where "Indie" is confronted in the bazaar by the sword twirling, menacing, Arab-looking guy.
            • pilotswife75220
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 31, 2012
                > You haven't read of the attacks on tourists by machete weilding perps recently? A French couple was attacked and they almost cut off the man's arm.

                No, because I missed the report by skipping reading news online for a couple of days.

                And now I understand that the French couple tried to fight back - not too good and idea for unarmed victims to try to fight back machete-wielding robbers, but I wasn't there. Apparently other people were robbed by the same perpetrators, but were unhurt - not that that makes robbing okay.
              • costacoffee2
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
                  I don't think that this retort is called for.
                  This was a very serious injury.
                • John
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
                    --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "costacoffee2" <costacoffee2@...> wrote:

                    > I don't think that this retort is called for.
                    > This was a very serious injury.

                    Well, let's see if the moderator is in a good mood.

                    You're right, it was serious, and I've spent more than 50 years knowing how to patch people back together, riding as a paramedic, and teaching field first aid up to Level 2 to hundreds of people.

                    But I feel very strongly that these forums, ARCR, the tourist promotion elements and, yes, even the various governments are bordering on gross negligence for not warning the innocent potential victims that the Costa Rica back-country is dangerous because of natural threats and human threats. This ain't Disneyland.

                    If you leave the city without water and survival supplies, you're a victim looking for an accident.

                    If you leave the brightly lit pavement in very public surroundings without being seriously armed, you're a victim looking for a criminal.

                    Do people go off into the African or Australian jungle or wilderness unarmed? No.

                    What's the difference between those areas and back-country Costa Rica.

                    So, the warning should be universal: Either go prepared to deal with "bad" or at least hire a guide who is.
                  • powernapper
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 2, 2012
                      Honestly, I feel safer in Puerto Viejo than I do in Manuel Antonio. HOWEVER, I doubt than one is safer than the other. I just know more of the bad guys in Manuel Antonio than I do in Puerto Viejo.

                      Anywhere in rural Costa Rica can be dangerous, and the advice to use a guide is an extremely good one. First off, you cannot be confused by language issues, secondly, the guides aren't going to places they know to be dangerous. Thirdly there is the factor of them realizing, generally, that water and some measure of safety are a good idea.

                      I once had a guy here in the hotel who said he had been in the jungle of Borneo. He thought he was Tarzan. He took his 70 year old father out in the jungle behind the hotel at 5 pm, no water, no flashlight, nothing.

                      Because of the dark we could not find them. They spent the night lost in the jungle only about 500 meters from the hotel.At night 500 meters can be a LONG way and the red cross will generally not search at night. We did mount a search of the neighbors, but downed trees and two wandering pit bulls put a quick end to the search.

                      The annoying thing was that Mr. Borneo was mad at ME! He had been advised THREE times not to go out in the jungle near dark, NOT to use unmarked trails and not to go out without appropriate gear. He did it anyway. His father fell in the dark and cut his face. They were eaten by mosquitos and the poor old guy was tired and distressed, he was here to celebrate his 70th birthday with his son.

                      Nature does not fool around, we must respect her.
                      Local folks tend to know such things as where there is drug trafficking activity, where there may be dangerous people and where nature is unforgiving. A guide , a qualified one, is the best defense.

                      In the hotels we generally require that anyone we recomend have all the neccessary training, equipment and even insurance if it is available in their field. I would not choose a guide casually, as in anyone who has a uniform. There are many informal guides who are as clueless as the poor tourist!

                      Just my 2 colones!

                      Robbie