Roy

  • Janet Blakeley
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 16, 2000
      Hey, Roy, do you mind being "excepted" as an expert?
      Sorry, Chuck. Couldn't resist. Keep up the good work...
      Janet
    • mctravel2@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2 7:13 AM
        Wonderful once again Roy....now you just have to tell me, where did
        you learn all these tidbits of information? You certainly have the
        ability to write well! Susan

        P.S. See?, if we had access to a little member information, I
        probably wouldn't have to even ask this. *smile*
      • Roy
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2 12:02 PM
          From: mctravel2@...

          > Wonderful once again Roy....now you just have to tell me, where did
          > you learn all these tidbits of information? You certainly have the
          > ability to write well! Susan
          ____________________________

          Well I've cultivated a lot of these things at one time or
          another and having a couple of degrees in botany, I like to
          keep up with plant info of all kinds. And, of course,
          having lived in Central America for over 40 years helps a
          touch.

          My writing in the chayote article wasn't all that good
          since I did it in the early morning and managed to fill it
          with typos. BTW, in areas from Honduras and North, don't
          talk of chayote as no one will have the slightest idea what
          you are talking about. Up there this item is called
          "pataste" (from the Aztec) or, at times, "patastillo",
          except in Guatemala where it is called "guisquil". Rural
          Spanish is very poorly standardized as yet and it would be
          surprising to many how many "Spanish" words they learn here
          that are localisms and not Spanish at all. However, in this
          case, "chayote" is the best word in Spanish and has been
          carried over into English too. The Latin name is Sechium
          edule.

          Men come of age at 60, woman at 15. - James Stephens

          Roy Lent

          Roy Lent