Piano

  • maria sappe
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 15, 2000
      Hi,
      I am looking for a piano to purchase. Either a used grand or baby grand
      preferably, but an upright grand would do for now. I need something in good
      condition. If someone has one for sale or knows a reasonable music store
      that sells used pianos, I would certainly appreciate it.
      Maria Sappe
      msappe@...
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2001
        Good Evening,

        Just returned from our little acerage in NW. Guanacaste. Our
        little home might be completed by December.

        Here is the question that I need your help with: My spouse is a
        pianist.....well, she plays the piano. We just purchased an
        electric Yamaha Clavinova that we plan on bringing to Costa
        Rica. It is a portable musical instrument , which seems to meet
        the criteria of avoiding import duties. It weighs 190 pounds and
        the music store says they have shipped them to South America
        among other places, and are currently checking out how to get it
        to Liberia for us.........We hope to have it waiting for us when we
        arrive next December 15, and throw the box in the back of our
        rental vehicle. We have a lawyer who we work with in Liberia, as
        well as friends who live in the immediate area. We currently
        have it set up in our South Dakota living room, and will have it
        professionally packaged, next fall, in it's original box. Oh, the
        question:..........What advice can those wiser than we suggest ?

        Al Gage
      • Jose Castellon
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
          >From: algage@...
          >Subject: [CostaRicaLiving] Piano
          My spouse is a pianist...We just purchased an electric Yamaha Clavinova that
          we plan on bringing to Costa Rica.
          It weighs 190 pounds and (we) will have it professionally packaged.

          >Al Gage

          Dear Al, Hello to all others,
          The international business section of the telephone directory
          mentions several freight forwarders. As you are having it professionally
          packed, it may serve you well to have it
          professionally forwarded. You could shop the forwarding companies to see
          which ones specialize in this type of sensitive equipment.
          Buena suerte,
          Jose Armando

        • Lair
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6, 2006
            I have friends who are moving here later this year and are thinking
            long and hard (as they should) about whether to move their baby grand
            piano. Has anyone on the list done such a thing? Does anyone have any
            experience or knowledge about purchasing a piano here? Spotted any
            piano stores? Heard of anyone leasing a piano here for a period of
            time?

            Thanks, folks!
          • slowone3
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 7, 2006
              I went through same thing with my Yamaha U3 upright...cost of
              shipping,import tax was frightening....instead bought a Yamaha grand
              piano synthesizer at Bahnbachs...big music store...had bad experience
              at one in Multiplaza, but main store is in San Jose...saved lots and
              lots of money, plus the synthesizer is a lot of fun and takes up much
              less space...

              Gary
            • Carol and Bill
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 9, 2006
                (EDITED TO REMOVE "PIGGYBACKING". Please read the group guidelines that are posted on the website under "Files" for a definition of "piggyback" and why they are not permitted on this list. Thank you.)

                I am Bill Wunderle. My wife is the only authentic Suzuki piano teacher in C.R. She has around 60 students per week, & I keep many of their pianos' in tune, as well as our 2 grand. I use to be the dealer for Baldwin, Checkering & Wurlitzer, but when Gibson bought out Baldwin & wanted a financial statement from ME,who always paid cash in advance, you can imagine what I told the burecratic paper, nosy etc. people. As far as shipping your piano here, as long as it is crated property, expect no problems, & the duty is extremely low, like 7%.. Resale value here obviously is higher than in the states too. If I can be of further help. Let me know....Bill
              • vallarta_vicki
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 9, 2006
                  Bill, Carol & others with a piano. I'm curious - I know pianos in
                  Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (another tropical paradise where my biz is
                  located hence my point of reference) have SERIOUS problems with
                  keeping in tune (is that the right lingo??) & sometimes warping - I
                  believe it was because of the humidity. I know at least the Central
                  Valley is no where near the same humidity level but - can that be an
                  issue here & if so - is it workable with good air-conditioning or
                  other things??
                • Kerry Dressler
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 10, 2006
                    Most newer pianos come with a metal rod heating element in the
                    strings so you actually plug them in and they keep a very low (and
                    cheap) electric current drying out the piano. I had a small grand
                    piano for years at sea level in Panama City and it wasn't in need of
                    tuning more than pianos I've had in the states.

                    Kerry Dressler Phone: 352.466.4215
                    Bio-Photo Services, Inc.
                    Mobile: 352.219.8500
                    21305 NW 86th Ave. Toll Free: 888.398.7523
                    Micanopy, FL 32667 Email: kerry@...

                    COSTA RICAN PHONE: Area Code 506 591-3156

                    Website: http://www.bio-photo.com