Nicaragua

  • JOHN A. BISCEGLIO
    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 15, 2003
      Anyone know of a similar site to Costa Rica Living about Nicaragua, or any books about Nicaraga that would be helpful if one where to consider moving there. Thanks and reply to:
      sales@...

    • ajeepsea2002
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 15, 2003
        --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN A. BISCEGLIO"
        <sales@A...> wrote:
        > Anyone know of a similar site to Costa Rica Living about
        Nicaragua, or any books about Nicaraga that would be helpful if one
        where to consider moving there. Thanks and reply to:
        > sales@A...
        >
        > Do an search/archive here in CRL, Bobby posted a site about 2-3
        weeks ago

      • dollgal
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 4 8:00 AM
          Question. Does anyone know of an equivalent group to this one, but which is
          about Nicaragua?

          Yes, I did go to yahoo groups and do a search. It came up with over 100
          sites. Thing is, can't join them all on the off-chance of finding a good
          one, so thought I'd ask at the fount of all human knowledge, CRL. One of
          you has the answer, I just know it!!!!

          No, I'm not thinking of moving there, this enquiry is for a friend of a friend.
          Liz
        • joe stastny
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 4 8:24 AM
            nicaragualiving@yahoogroups.com is just like this group but about Nicaragua.

          • Connie Olinger
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 6 7:34 AM
              Try contacting John Mark and Janice Gallagher. They live there and arrange tours for Nicaragua, Panama, CR, Cuba, etc. gpsnic@...

            • Mary and Jeff Hickcox
              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 7, 2007
                Hi all, I need to do a border run in a couple of weeks and we have decided we would rather go to Nicaragua. We want someplace close to border, safe, and not too touristy. We want there to be things to do and restaurants though, of course. We have 2 small children and I am pregnant! (Hubby is going as well) What I wanted to know is how does the border cross work? Can we drive our own car? And where exactly should we go? I live in Atenas, is it a really long drive? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

                Mary
                mama to Dylan (8) Colin (3 1/2) and a little angel due 9/04/07

                "Be who you want your children to be."
                unknown

                "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."
                -Dwight D. Eisenhower, U.S. general and 34th president (1890-1969)

              • Sara T
                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 7, 2007
                  --- Mary wrote:
                  >I need to do a border run to Nicaragua.

                  Hi Mary, We went to Granada, took the ejecutivo bus, 8 hours, with two
                  of them at customs. the bus was VERY comfortable, take toilet paper,
                  but otherwise great. We took snacks and water, they stop and pu a
                  gallo pinto breakfast. We stayed at the Kekoldi hotel. We LOVED
                  granada - it's hot and dusty, but so beautiful. Historic, you can take
                  a boat ride around the lakes.... plenty to do. I have no idea about
                  driving but everyone told us not to take a car across the border, it's
                  very difficult. So we didn't. And the bus was so comfy, we would just
                  as soon leave the driving to them. Coming back was a little longer
                  because it was on the Monday after Semana Santa and the traffic was
                  terrible. I wrote about the trip on my blog (abroadincostarica.com,
                  click on granada in the categories). Have fun!
                • lostrin1994
                  Message 8 of 29 , Apr 9, 2007
                    We have done the border run several times with two kids (7 and 9)
                    and I would take the Tica bus over a car any day. It arrives at the
                    border and lets you out at the Costa Rica exit office and you stand
                    in line to exit. Then, they drive you to the Nicaragua entry office
                    (about 1km), they take your passports, put them in a bag, then you
                    take all your luggage and line up for baggage check. By the time
                    you`re finished, the passports have been stamped and they call out
                    your name one by one, you collect your passport and get back on the
                    bus and it`s only about 1 hour to Granada.

                    They have movies on the bus (they may be inappropriate for your
                    kids). Our rule of thumb when we travel long distances like this is
                    to have one cheesy toy for every hour that you travel. Have lots of
                    snacks, and there is a bathroom on the bus.

                    The only thing that you will have to take into account is getting
                    from Atenas is it? to San Jose. Waiting for the bus is a little
                    boring for the kids, you have to be there a half hour before. From
                    San Jose to the border is only about 5 hours, smooth ride all the
                    way. Figure 1 hour tops at the border and then 1 hour to Granada,
                    which you will love.

                    Janet
                    finally back in Canada
                  • freddito30
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 14, 2010
                      Hello All. I am moving to Managua from CR and was wondering if there is a similiar group to this one for Nicaragua.

                      I am also looking to get an idea of cost to have someone pack and move my belongings from Heredia to Managua. Any help is appreciated.
                    • Bruce Gowens
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 15, 2010
                        > I am moving to Managua from CR

                        OMG!  WHY???  That is a town I refuse to even sleep a night in, going on to Granada instead when going to and from Esteli.

                      • Gary Bushmill
                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 2, 2010
                          This is an exerpt from a letter to AMCR this morning;

                          ''It matters that Costa Rica's inaction and inability to secure its sovereignty
                          has helped advance geopolitical regional instability. Peace and diplomacy are
                          vastly overrated. Costa Rica's use of international organizations adds up to
                          nothing but inaction.

                          Costa Rica is now responsible for making the region more dangerous for all. Do
                          not play into the hands of the left's need to create need.''

                          Comments?

                        • Al
                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 2, 2010
                            Um . . . in whose view is the region/world more dangerous? "Geopolitical regional instability" - what does that quote mean?

                            What do we really have?

                            We have a few very cold and wet Nica soldiers on minimum wage sitting doing nothing in their plastic ponchos wishing they could go home to their wives and kids and some hot gallo pinto and eggs.

                            We have a septuagenarian troublemaker (he has done this all his life), being paid to make a distraction so an election can be stolen (one more time).

                            We have a head of state worried about what might happen if he was unemployed defending his regime from various charges.

                            We have a few calm sensible CR cops looking on in wonderment at the silliness of their neighbor.

                            We have a deliberate and intelligent Presidenta trying to unravel the silliness through the legal process a la Tica . . . heck bureaucracy takes a while, shooting someone dead takes but a millisecond.

                            BTW for those who are not citizens, we do not have a single iota of a say in the matter.

                            When President Pacheco unwittingly agreed to send some oxcarts to the coalition of the almost willing he committed a faux pas against maintaining the neutrality and peaceful stance nailed in stone for this country by Don Pepe in 1948. Laura will most certainly not be drinking the same kool aid - OK all IMHO.

                            As always ready to be wrong on all of that . . . but is it likely given CR history?
                            Berni
                          • Tom Stafford
                            Message 13 of 29 , Dec 2, 2010
                              I wasn't going to write on this but the poster's obvious desire to have the CR government to come out shooting (with what?), as so many US president's have done in the past (You know, the "Carry a big stick and use it" policy) that I couldn't let it go. As Bernie said, here we have a presidenta who thinks we ought to use the international tools that are at hand to counter an obvious political gambit that is more hot air than military threat. What is wrong with that? Even if I weren't a liberal and a pacificist, which I quite proudly am, any other posture would be ridiculous. There is no army here, so that option is quite obviouly out and after the fiasco of Pacheco's trying to involve CR in Bush's Iraq expedition, it wouldn't fly anyway. Every Tico with whom I have discussed this practically laughed his or her head off, and most of the Nicos too.

                              Pura Paz. Tom Stafford

                            • O.L.
                              Message 14 of 29 , Dec 2, 2010
                                Us citizen Ticos have a "wait and see attitude" about the Nica invasion. Wait... to see what the OAS does, then Wait... to see what the UN does, then Wait... to see what the World Court does, then Wait... to see what Laura does. Somewhere along that line, something will happen.... meanwhile, the San Juan will have a new mouth!

                                When a country has been without an army like CR since 1949 (and Panama since 1989) it would be difficult to gather together an effective force and even if that was tried, Commanders Ortegas would anticipate the effect and cause grief and gnashing of teeth and the population would respond by trying to imitate the Kuwaiti invasion by Iraq...

                                This is NOT about the San Juan River, it is more about street protests in Nicalandia for "electorial fraude" that the citizens see that Ortega got the expired term Supreme Court Judges to allow him to register to run as president on October 29th while the now sitting Supreme Court Judges are "undecided".... Then there is that little matter of Ortega being accused of violating his stepdaughter which is coming to a head soon. So why not a big diversion and print in the Nica papers that the Ticos are trying to take away the Rio San Juan? That will make even the novellas take a back seat!

                                Now if one was honest and firm, they would be "negotiating" for a piece of the pie whether it be a New Canal with a "you take the Pacific and we will take the Atlantic"... give us some of your land south of the Rio San Juan to compensate for what you are taking of the 151 sq/km of Isla Calero... and promise to "restore" the environment when you are done. And anyone with a geographical bent can see that you can't have a canal unless you control BOTH sides, so lets negotiate that 2 km wide CR government controlled strip of supposed "no mans land" on our side of the river that is fast being bought up by local Tico politicians (what do THEY know?) and when you dig your canal, cut us in on the tariff and we will put up a Duty Free Zone on the Atlantic side and you do the same on the Pacific. Here in Ticolandia, there is a saying that it is better to make a bad settlement than a good fight... the fight we would lose, the settlement, well, maybe some crumbs....

                                Ali

                                --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Al" <bernij@...> wrote:

                                > What do we really have?

                                > Berni

                              • Kayo
                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 16, 2012
                                  Hello,
                                  Seems like some members go to Nicaragua to renew their visa's and a few
                                  posts
                                  pertaining to Nicaragua have been allowed.
                                  Lets be sure to keep the discussion on Nicaragua limited to these visa
                                  renewal trips.
                                  Thanks Kayo
                                • ddeleanu07
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 26, 2014

                                    My husband has been living in Costa Rica for 3 months now.  He started out in Grecia and then went to San Isidro. We were hoping to settle in Costa Rica and start a small business. I just came back from a 2 week stay and while there we visited Dominical, Uvita, Manuel Antonio, San Jose and then to Nicaragua for his border run.  Maybe I am crazy or not fully informed but I found San Juan Del Sur to be less expensive, just as nice and more welcome to Americans wanting to start a business.  The information I have received and looked into definitely suggests that it will be easier, they offer many incentives and it is less expensive to do business there than in Costa Rica.  Anyone have some first hand knowledge on the validity of this?

                                  • egelunddwayne
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 26, 2014
                                      ddeleanu07 wrote:

                                      > Anyone have some first hand knowledge on the validity of this?

                                      Well your in la la land. Staring a business. Go and talk to some places that are gringo owned and ask them. Taxes,commercial rates for electricity and water, more taxes, Regulations does not matter where in CR. Of course the locals want you to open it is your money.Oh you can own however you cannot "work". unless you have conditions libre. What kind of business?? The sad saying here "Gringo came with 2 million left with one". If you don't think this is true try it. I suggest a lot more investigation.. Google working and owning a business in CR.

                                    • alajuelanorth
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 26, 2014

                                        We have run a business or two here and would never think of doing the same in Nicaragua though we do enjoy visiting . . . that country is not functioning as a democracy and sooner or later the people may wake up to that and want something else against the will of the ruling "family".  And you know what happens then?  No, neither do we.

                                        Costa Rica is about to go through a major election and a certain change in government next month - it will not be very exciting.  That's the way it should be if you want to run a business here.

                                        Talk to people who are running a business here - there are 1000's - find as many as you can and see what they advise - the info will be all over the map and then you decide.  We have a little seminar we do periodically/on demand focused on starting or buying and owning an Inn - a summary of it is here: http://puravidahotel.blogspot.com/search/label/seminar .

                                        Best wishes with your search,

                                        Berni

                                      • ddeleanu07
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 26, 2014

                                          I think you misunderstood I was talking about opening a business in Nicaragua vs Costa Rica.  I am well aware of all the taxes and restrictions in Costa Rica and that is why we are considering Nicaragua.  I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with Nicaragua.  I spoke to a lot of people while in Costa Rica and they all said the same thing.  Cost of living has been going up and it is increasingly more difficult to live there.  A lot of people bought property and homes and cannot sell them, and or have been ripped off, not just by Costa Ricans by Americans as well.  Also the mentality of the Cost Ricans seemed to be if you are American you have money and why not try and get as much of it from you as they can.  We took a cab from the city to the barrio and were charged 20 colons, the same ride taken by the Costa Rican who owns the apartments we are staying in paid 10..and this happened on a regular basis.  I don't know if its any better in Nicaragua but I do know they allow you to bring a vehicle worth up to 25,000 and you don't pay taxes.  And if you open a tourist related business there is a tax law that says you don't have to pay import or sales taxes..no property taxes for 10 years..and some other other incentives.

                                        • John French
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 27, 2014
                                            This post contained much about CR, one part of which i will comment on.

                                            When taking a taxi (here in CR or for that matter in Nicaragua or
                                            Manhattan, USA) either tell the cabbie to turn on the meter if he has
                                            not already done so, or negotiate the price before you start off.

                                            I include Manhattan because once a cabbie there tried a major hustle on
                                            me, not knowing (because i have no NY accent) that i was born and raised
                                            there. The point is, that stuff happens, as it almost did to me in
                                            Granada, Nicaragua, and did in Manaus, Brazil.

                                            Costa Rica is definitely getting more expensive, and had i discovered
                                            Guatemala before i moved here almost 9 years ago, i never would have got
                                            here, let alone as far as Nicaragua (which i seriously considered).
                                            Costa Ricans tend to be more indirect than are, for example, Dominicans
                                            or Colombians, or New Yorkers. But generally, my own experience is that
                                            people are pretty much the same wherever i have gone.

                                            John French
                                          • Jim Cottone
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 27, 2014
                                              "We took a cab from the city to the barrio and were charged 20 colons, the same ride taken by the Costa Rican who owns the apartments we are staying in paid 10..and this happened on a regular basis."

                                              I have only been in Costa Rica for 21 Months, so I am not an "expert", however I do know that if you take a metered taxi you are going to pay the same as a Tico. The meter does not know that you are a Gringo. In my limited experience I have also found that the "pirate" cabs are usually less expensive than the metered ones. I tend to doubt that you only paid "20 colons" since the starting price on the meters is 575 Colones. Perhaps you meant to say 20,000 Colones.

                                              I have a few taxi drivers, here in Grecia, that I use only when it is shopping day. (The buses are much cheaper!). When they bring me home from the market the meter will usually read between 4,300 and 5,000 Colones, but I have yet to have one that didn't tell me to only pay 4,000 Colones. A lot of it has to do with how respectfully you treat them, and they always seem to reciprocate that respect.

                                              Pura Vida

                                              Jim
                                              --
                                              Jim Cottone
                                              American Professional Photographer
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 27, 2014
                                                Misunderstood what part?

                                                Nicaragua is definitely cheaper and so is the Central African Republic and North Korea . . .cheap sometimes is not the main criteria IMHO, Berni
                                              • Roland Storbeck
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jan 27, 2014
                                                  What IS the main criteria? Comparing Nicaragua to North Korea or any African republic is a bit of a stretch. Besides being more affordable, Nicaragua is also one of the safest countries in Latin America.
                                                  It's not for everyone but, if you look around you'll see plenty of people packing up and leaving Costa Rica. Those that aren't returning home are setting their sights on Panama and Nicaragua in increasing numbers.

                                                • sailorant7
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jan 27, 2014

                                                    The metered taxis can also "Take you for a ride" they are easily rigged, one English speaking taxista told me some taxis have a button on the side of the shift that they can manipulate and raises the fare with each click of the button. I take taxis a lot and have a general idea of what it costs to go from point "A" to point "B" since I go to the same places by taxi all the time, I tell them the Maria es muy rapido, more than once we come to terms on the fare, any problems with a taxi just inform them you  will contact the "Autoridad Reguladora  de Los Servicios publicos" Sabana Sur, it just may help.

                                                    Sail,

                                                  • ddeleanu07
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jan 28, 2014

                                                      Less expensive is just one of the considerations, the fact that Costa Rica makes it so difficult to own and operate a business, to become a resident, or to earn a living have a lot to do with it.  I guess the bottom line is whatever works for you and right now Costa Rica isn't working.

                                                    • alajuelanorth
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jan 28, 2014

                                                        I only used those examples to suggest something . . . while acknowledging it remains a lot cheaper in fairness.  North Korea is also cheap and very safe if you stay quiet in the gruel line each morning.  The suggestion is simply "what happens when the people finally decide it is time for a democracy"?  Egypt tried it and discovered the youthful opposition was fabulous at the barricades but lousy at organizing an alternative government . . . in a year or so Egypt will be back to being a democratically supported military dictatorship because they can't find their way to democracy as yet.

                                                        Nobody knows and I don't care to find out ("if I am running a business" which is what this topic was about) . . . but as always on CRL . . . only IMHO (my choice not anyone elses perhaps).

                                                        Many people who start business look to stability first when they are investing everything they have - again only IMHO.

                                                        Berni

                                                      • Robert Williams
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jan 28, 2014
                                                          Roland said;

                                                          <It's not for everyone but, if you look around you'll see plenty of people packing up and leaving Costa Rica. Those that aren't returning home are setting <their sights on Panama and Nicaragua in increasing numbers.

                                                          Having been to both I think I would prefer Panama over Nicaragua. In Panama the US dollar is the official unit of currency, and the cost of living is less. And one can go into a supermarket and find "gringo" items not available in either Costa Rica or Nicaragua.

                                                          I rode to Managua once with a minister. This minister makes occasional trips to Cuba, and indicated Nicaragua was much like Cuba.

                                                          Robert
                                                        • John French
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jan 28, 2014
                                                            Robert said: "I rode to Managua once with a minister. This minister
                                                            makes occasional trips to Cuba, and indicated Nicaragua was much like Cuba."

                                                            I have spent time in both countries (much more in Nicaragua), and i see
                                                            them as very different in many regards.

                                                            They are the same in that both are ruled with an iron fist by a leftist
                                                            dictator. They are also both economically strapped, although Nicaragua
                                                            has two upper classes -- those for and against Ortega, while Cuba has
                                                            only one, and a small one at that.

                                                            Cuba is in the wrong ocean to make a strong alliance with China.
                                                            Nicaragua isn't. Nicaragua is re-developing its economy. (Years ago
                                                            Nicaragua was the economic leader in central America.) The US is
                                                            preventing Cuba from doing the same.

                                                            Both countries have very little street crime -- Cuba has virtually none.

                                                            Nicaragua has a large new (2007) US Embassy compound, consisting of nine
                                                            buildings costing $70+ million USD. Cuba has none.

                                                            They both have better main highways than CR. Who doesn't? But Cuba's are
                                                            almost empty of cars.

                                                            Cuba has a lot more running cars from the 1950-60s :-)

                                                            John French
                                                          • rararooo3
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Feb 28, 2014
                                                              Woke up this mornin'
                                                              With nothin' on my mind
                                                              Nothin's all I'm a lookin' for
                                                              Nothin's all I'll find
                                                              And I've been happy here for now on seven years
                                                              Here I have none to hate, I have none to fear
                                                              Its just a way of life so easy to find
                                                              But it won't be on maps they make
                                                              And you can't buy it on time

                                                              If you find that city life is not the life for you
                                                              If you're wantin' somethin' old and tired of somethin' new
                                                              Come on up to Nicaragua where the trees are all in bloom
                                                              Cleanse your mind, cleanse your soul and give your head some room