Thinking of shipping my car...

  • thomasjdooley44
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 10, 2012
      Hi all,

      I'm sure this has been talked about here so I'm sorry if this is an annoying repeat post...

      My wife and I are moving down to CR and are looking into the possibility of shipping our car, a 2007 Toyota Yaris... I've gotten some shipping quotes (approx. $1700) but I'm finding it difficult to determine exactly what the import taxes will be. The import taxes will really be the make/break in this situation.

      Does anyone here know how to figure out exactly what the import tax will be? Are there specific shipping companies that will negotiate that process for me? The shipping companies I've found say that they won't deal with that process at all...

      Thanks for your help!

      Tom & Erika
    • nosliwmas
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 10, 2012
        Hi Tom y Erika (sin 'c'),

        thomasjdooley44 asked:
        > Does anyone here know how to figure out exactly what the import
        > tax will be?

        The nice thing about repeat posts is that you can find repeat
        answers in the archives! ;-)

        Here's one where I was 'splainin' things last month...

        BTW, Erick and Ericka are almost always spelled with "ck" down here,
        so Erika will be forever correcting folks trying to spell her name.
        But on the bright side, almost nobody in Costa Rica will know the
        doleful ballad of Tom (Dula) Dooley. For what its worth, I don't
        think Tom Dula killed his fiancé, I think his ex-lover did it...

        Please let us know if that explanation of how to figure out what
        Aduanas recently charged someone for a similar car doesn't quite
        cut the mustard. Their website for looking things up isn't the
        most user-friendly, but it is not too terribly bad once you figure
        out how to find what you're looking for.

        Good luck! And please keep good notes if you go forward with this
        so you can fill us in on how things worked out.

        Thanks,

        Sam