Chinese Police academy

  • john miesen
    Message 1 of 12 , May 31, 2012
      Now that the Chinese are donating a New Police Academy, I heard a rumor that only Chineze Ticos will be allowed to drive the Chineze Police Cars.....can anyone comment on this rumor !

      John Miesen

    • Al
      Message 2 of 12 , May 31, 2012
        This is a most interesting offer in the ongoing Chinese globalization process . . . what country could say no to non-military improvements in security?

        As long as there are no strings attached but when are there not?

        Berni
      • stanhopi
        Message 3 of 12 , May 31, 2012
          > Now that the Chinese are donating a New Police Academy, I heard a rumor
          > that only Chineze Ticos will be allowed to drive the Chineze Police Cars.....

          This thread has already garnered some very snarky anti-Chinese replies.

          No attacks of this sort, personal, or other wise are allowed on CRL.

          Replies which are on-topic to the original question of this thread are of
          course, still welcome.

          Moderator
          - -
        • artedwards65
          Message 4 of 12 , May 31, 2012
            --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Al" <alajuelanorth@...> wrote:

            > As long as there are no strings attached but when are there not?

            Berni,
            My questions are, do you have to be a communists to go to the academy? Also if a tico wants to go to the academy do they have to be communists too? So many questions so few answers. . . . . I guess the big thing about all of this, what would be the end benefit for Costa Rica?

          • John
            Message 5 of 12 , May 31, 2012
              YES! There are the only ones who can read the Owners Manual!

              Message 6 of 12 , May 31, 2012
                I did not intend to create a snark pit but a real discussion. CR got a significant benefit from what is probably in excess of 500 police cars (already pre-painted and pre-sirened) and at the same time the police presence increased at least double in our area (not connected).

                As I noted to Art offline, the Chinese have never asked any of their receiving countries to buy into their dogma (as far as I know in modern times - lets say the last 10 years at least) . . . in fact I believe current Chinese leadership to be a bit embarrassed about their Mao heritage and wondering how to better transition out of what "once was" to a more modern view and what "now is". This is a hugely pressing problem inside Chinese leadership as their economy slows and their culture evolve a huge middle class of better paid people.

                Art asks what is the end benefit to CR - obviously "better trained cops". If anyone has factual evidence of "dogma attachments" to previous aid to Costa Rica, can they spell it out?

                I have not seen any. Though a Police academy is way less passive than cop cars and up for discussion.

                Berni
              • Fred Morgan
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
                  I have heard in the past that the motivation for the donations from the
                  Chinese (and before them, the Taiwanese) is due to China not wanting
                  Taiwan to receive status in the UN.

                  I would think as well if I were China and I wanted CR to start buying my
                  cars, it would make sense to donate a sizable amount into a very visible
                  area - like patrolling police cars. It also makes it worth while for the
                  places that sell auto parts to start stocking replacement parts, when
                  you have a ready made customer base.

                  I rather doubt they are trying to push dogma - we would be so lucky here
                  in Costa Rica, because then the West would start pushing money too! I am
                  sure the Ticos know very well how to play both ends for the most benefit.
                • Anthony Carneiro
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
                    Re: ". . . if I were China and I wanted CR to start buying my cars, it would make sense to donate a sizable amount into a very visible area . . .. I rather doubt they are trying to push dogma . . . I am sure the Ticos know very well how to play both ends for the most benefit."

                    Fred, I agree with everything you said. It's got nothing to do with dogma; it's all about Taiwan, money, and immigration.

                    Until 2007, Costa Rica supported Taiwan's UN bid. In June, 2007, Costa Rica broke ties with Taiwan, switching recognition to the People's Republic of China (PRC). (President Arias said openly that Taiwan "was cheap".)
                    As part of the deal, the PRC built Costa Rica a new, $100 million, state-of-the-art football stadium in la Sabana, a very visible PRC donation. It was designed and built by imported Chinese labor, so it was finished on time (unlike our road on the Northern border).

                    Some years ago, Attorney-General Francisco Dall'Anese said that MigraciĆ³n had issued 10,000 Residencies to Chinese citizens during the previous three years; he said that number of Residencies was beyond the capability of MigraciĆ³n.

                    Yes, the Ticos are good at playing both ends; they are also selling their country to China. Have anyone else noticed the increase in the number of ethnic Chinese? The increase is very evident out here in Curridabat.

                    Cheers;
                    Anthony C./Curridabat

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
                      I believe that the Chinese motivation for giving gifts and even favorable financing to under-developed countries like Costa Rica is multi-pronged. They have been doing similar things in Africa for years where the obvious goal is access and control of strategic minerals.

                      In Costa Rica and the rest of the isthmus the primary objective is transportation with friendship in the UN a secondary consideration with mineral mining, if any, a distant third. A "land canal" including both a road and railroad is the goal of their military-industrial complex.

                      In the West long range planning is three years, five at the most. For the Chinese it is more like twenty-five or more years out. Their patience is infinite compared to the western mind.
                    • Steve Friedman
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
                        There is no such thing as a "free lunch" as we all know. I'm just waiting to see when and how they are going to ask for repayment of favours.

                        Paula
                      • John French
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
                          I find it really refreshing to have a competitor to the US vying for
                          favor in CR!! I hope the Ticos take every advantage they can of the
                          benefits this could bring them.

                          Unfortunately, so far we have not reaped the benefits we could. The
                          police cars are not repaired and maintained well or in a timely manner,
                          and the stadium remains virtually unused because of excessively high
                          rental rates.

                          And the Chinese workers seem to have taken their chefs with them when
                          they left.

                          John French
                        • sam_wilson_acs
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 16, 2012
                            It will be interesting to see what role the recently started Chinatown in San Jose will play as the relationship between China and CR develops.

                            Article here: http://thecostaricanews.com/costa-rica-or-china-rica/12258

                            Personally (as a Canadian), I'm looking forward to seeing what tangible outcome the recently announced trade negotiations with Canada might produce.

                            Article here: http://news.gc.ca/web/article-eng.do?nid=680729

                            - Sam