Is Costa Rica Right For Me?

  • markneue
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2012
      Dear CRL Group,

      I have never been to CR but and have started my preliminary research. So in essence everyone here will help be my guiding influence. I am single and 45 years old with no children. I pay almost $1,000 per month for health insurance. As a young adult I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes which inflicts only 5% of the diabetes population. SO health care coverage for my insulin and medicare supplies is important.

      I am a lawyer and have an apartment in Manhattan/NYC and pay 1,800 per month. At the moment I am in transition and out of work despite being admitted to practice law in New York and Connecticut. On March 13, 2012 I lost my best friend.

      First I would like to say to the creator of this site and others how thankful I am to have a place to discuss the prospects of a move to CR. I do not speak Spanish but feel I can assimilate myself well into this culture having lived in NYC most of my adult life.

      The big questions I have relate to what expats do for health insurance when they first decide CR is the place for them?

      What types of jobs are available for me even if not in the legal field? Legal all the better.

      How much can I expect to pay for a nice 2 bedroom apartment not far from San Jose or actually in San Jose?

      Thanks everyone for your help and I look forward to learning about my prospects for a move especially relating to health insurance and having a preexisting condition like diabetes.

      Best Always
      Mark
    • costacoffee2
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2012
        First you should read the information on www.therealcostarica.com
        If you like what you read, make arrangement to visit for an extended time.
        Most importantly check out what diabetic meds and supplies will be available to you, because not everything is.
        The website will explain how you cannot legally work here until you are a permanent resident which can take 4-5 years. Then you must take the bar again, in Spanish.
      • Mark Neue
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2012
          Edited - Piggybacking
          Please delete everything except 1 or 2 informational lines before posting
          Moderator

          Wow! Now that would admittedly be a difficult bar exam! Actually I am glad to get this feedback. Not much positive about the prospects of an easy transition from the responses. Another person told me the test strips would not be covered by insurance. Thanks for replyiny! Best always!

          Mark

          <costacoffee2@...>
          First you should read the information on www.therealcostarica.com
          If you like what you read, make arrangement to visit for an extended time.
        • Jay Jay
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2012
          • Gmail Public
            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2012
              There is no state bar exam, but you do have to successfully complete the program at one of the many law schools. Citizenship is not a requirement to be a lawyer in Costa Rica, only residency.

            • jackdiv
              Message 6 of 6 , May 3, 2012
                Also, please note that CR law is based on Roman law, or Napoleonic Code, as opposed to English Common Law. Very different - you would likely need to go through law school here. Working will be illegal unless you marry a Tica or achieve Permanent Resident status. You can run your own small business, but I'm not sure how law would figure into that.

                ---