Dragon Fruit

  • Tico Joseph
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2012
      Looking for a retail outlet for the Dragon Fruit plant. In Central America it's known as pitahaya and is grown in Guanacaste. Anyone know of an outlet or farmer in the Central Valley. I know that conditions are not perfect in much of the Valley, but I'm willing to give it a go.
    • Tray
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2012
        i have one of those plants -- got a cutting from a neighbor. it's a night blooming cereus. i planted one small piece and it took off like wildfire. check with local viveros -- someone should have cuttings.

        --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Tico Joseph" <juegosnubes@...> wrote:

        > Looking for a retail outlet for the Dragon Fruit plant.
      • Peter
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2012
          I bought my pityhaya plant from vivero bonita in Perez Zeledon. It was actually in their finca bonita in Rivas. They wholesale to many viveros in Costa Rica so I would ask your local vivero if they can get it for you.It is growing rampant in my garden. The flowers are great but after two years there still is no fruit. It can only be pollinated in full bloom around midnight by moths or bats and apparently that hasn't happened yet.
          Peter in Quepos

          > Looking for a retail outlet for the Dragon Fruit plant.

        • costacoffee2
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2012
            We just moved and I took with me, many cutting of this plant as they are usually found 'growing wild' rater than at a vivero.
            We got get lots of fruit and flowers, and when I went to take photos of the blooms early in the morning there would be many pollinating insects 'working' at the plants.
            Although they love the dry heat, it is after a heavy rain that the blooms will appear.
          • costacoffee2
            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2012
              If it is a 'night blooming cereus' it will not produce fruit. This is a different plant although the blooms are very similar. Pitahaya is 'Hydrocereus costaricensis'.