Re: New member/ Cost of Living

  • gary kessler
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 27, 2012
      I am concerned that CR has become unaffordable for retirees after reading a resent post that two people needed more than $2000 per month to live in CR. I have visited a few times 3 yrs. ago, before the recession hit. What has changed?  I am single and will retire in a few years, and had planned to live on $1200 or less per month. I would rent a 1/1 apt. or cottage $500. or less, do not need a car, but would need cable, internet, and health insurance. I do not drink, smoke or have expensive hobbies, etc. What is the cost of a kilo of chicken, rice, tomatoes, or a cantaloupe now?

      Vida Sencilla

      Gary

    • sishaw
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 27, 2012
        The conversation has been around what would it costs to live in CR. Most
        comments seem to address today's costs and little is said about the near
        future. Several years ago, I wrote about the obvious devaluation of the US$
        against other currencies. Over the past few years we have seen the US$ drop
        about 20% against the CR Colon. Could more devolutions be in the near
        future?

        So when thinking about living in other countries on a fixed small US$
        income, it would be prudent to consider that the US$ may very well
        depreciate further. Pick your number 5%, 10%, 20%? Who know for sure, but
        the currency world does expect some drop. Also, keep in mind that CR to
        varying degrees like the USA, Greece, Italy and others have debt issues and
        it will take a long time to remedy the problems. So expect more taxes and
        increases on the prices of services and products on both side of the
        boarder. Plus in this digital age, the old games played in CR to avoid
        taxes are disappearing and this in itself will increase prices as the taxes
        get passed on to the customer.

        Also, the IRS is looking at removing the tax credit for citizens living &
        earning abroad. So without the US$ 90,000+ tax exemption, if you do make
        money in CR, you may have to send some back to the USA to cover taxes owed
        there as well as in CR.

        Housing costs could drop due to the volume of properties for sale in CR. If
        the government starts taxing residents on their world wide income and if at
        some time the CR government does away with the 'Perpetual Tourist' loophole
        without amnesty for those living here for some years, housing could be
        effected. Keep in mind that some rental income will be subject to the new
        tax, so expect an increase of 14% in some housing rental costs.

        The message here is, if you are a US citizen living on minimal income, it
        may be wiser and easier to stay home. Like many others in this world you
        are facing financial incarceration.
      • txtita1
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 27, 2012
          --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, gary kessler <grk57@...> wrote:

          >What is the cost of a kilo of chicken, rice, tomatoes, or a cantaloupe now?

          Gary,
          You can always go to this web site for the recommended prices for produce at the farmers market:

          http://web.cnp.go.cr/index.php/informacion-de-mercados/precios-nacionales-semanales/semanales/ferias-del-agricultor

          You may have trouble with a long URL like this, so if it doesn't work, try this link instead:

          http://tinyurl.com/cnpgocr

          Once you get to this page, just click on a recent bulletin date and it will download an Excel file with all the recommended prices. Granted all of the produce will be listed in Spanish.

          You can also look up the price on basic grains on this same web site.

          Pat
        • Dwayne Egelund
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 28, 2012
            Chicken approx $5.00
            Tomatoes  $1 a kilo.. right now later will more than double
            Rice  figure $3.00 a kilo depends on the quality 86% to 99% of broken pieces.

            Beans  +/- $4.00 now plenty  later with rains less then increase prices.
            mango 5 for $2.00 on the streets.
            No cantaloupe now past the season

            Pat

          • O.L.
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 28, 2012
              Whole stewing chicken about 2.5 kilos, $4 but boneless breasts at $6 kilo or more, Salchichon $2 a kilo, Tomatoes 65 cents/kilo and giant ones, 3 kilos for $2, Rice varies... 80% whole grains "Gov't price controlled" about $1.30/kilo, Black beans $1.10/kilo, reds $1.60/kilo, Mangos just coming into season about 30 cents each, later a box of 42 for $2.50 so get out your canning jars and combine with also cheap 20 cent each pineapples... yummy!, Cantalopes, 3 for $2 or 45 cents a kilo, broccoli $1.00 kilo, cukes 50 cents a kilo, carrots 50 cents a kilo, Lettuce 40 cents giant head, etc.

              Now add air conditioning, spiffy aisles, SUV parking, lots of obsequious employees and you can almost double those prices. At the Cenada and Mayoreo markets where you select and put want you want in your bag and carry or wheel it around, the above prices from producers!

              There are markets "catering" to the whims of the buyers... for those who just want the food, the Mayoreo is an excellent choice as are select sellers in local markets. For those who want to rub shoulders with the locals, the "Ferias" but expect to pay about 25-35% more and for the I-want-gringolandia-in-Costa-Rica, there is always Walmart and other transnationals with US prices.

              And where you say that prices will increase, well then, stock up now! Canning is not dead and freezers are sold here and $4 worth of carbide will keep your dried grains bug free for a year or more in an airtight drum.

              Where there's a will, there's a way....

              Ali
            • Steve Friedman
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 28, 2012
                If you live in the city, the way to save money in this country is to go to Pipasa and buy your eggs there. You can also buy your chicken (whole or in parts) at a cheaper rate there if you buy in bulk. The eggs are cheaper than the feria. Also if you check the specials as Mas x Menos on Wednesdays and Walmarts on Saturday you can save a lot of money. It means a bit of running around but if you work your car trips around these stores for these two days you're only spending time, not gas. It takes a bit of thinking and forethought to get the most for your money but then that's what we did in Canada as well. I remember that the specials always came out on Wednesdays, so I would make a list of the things I needed that happened to be on special in which store. He would take half of the stores on his way home from work and I would take on the other half of the stores on my way home from work. Takes a bit of planning but doable.

                Paula
              • ajeepsea2002
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 30, 2012
                  At the Cenada and Mayoreo
                  markets where you select and put want you want in your bag and carry or wheel it
                  around, the above prices from producers!
                  --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "O.L." <olamoree@...> wrote:

                  are these in San Jose?? the first by the muni? thank you

                  MariAn
                • O.L.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 30, 2012
                    Cenada is in Heredia, just north of the Autopista. The Mayoreo is on Avenida 10, Calle 30 just east of the Muni San Jose Headquarters. It opens at midnight and runs until the participants either sell out, get tired or just leave, anywhere from 8 to 11AM. I usually go around 4-4:30AM as some things are so great that they are sold out by 5AM. The "feria" days there are Wednesdays and Saturdays. It will take a few weekly visits until you can determine available products, best prices, friendly faces and all that assumes that you can tell a ripe cantelope from a green one! That you can obviously be watching the scales and you can say No, when necessary. You might make your first round gathering information on prices and availability and then you can make a second round filling your cart. Keep in mind that some are producers and most are REsellers so shop accordingly. My freezer runneth over!

                    Ali

                    --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "ajeepsea2002" <ajeepsea@...> wrote:
                    > are these in San Jose?? the first by the muni? thank you
                    > MariAn
                  • szymonowicz2000
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 31, 2012
                      Outside the Turrialba area you can find nice tico houses to rent for $60-100/month. Depending on the time of year tomatoes range from 50cent/kg to $3.00/kg. Whole chickens are selling for about $4.00/kg. Right now small watermelons can be had for 3 for $2.00 and mangoes are 3kg for $2.00 but they will drop as the season progresses to 5kg for $2.00