How to Live in Costa Rica on $1500 a Month

  • Fred Holmes
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 27, 2012
      We just finished publishing our ebook with the above title. The titles
      tells it all, but it covers more than just the costs with information on
      many other subjects specific to living in Costa Rica. It only costs $3.99
      and so far has received brisk sales and positive reviews. You can go to it
      from the link below.
      http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/120623

      Or find a link on our website www.costaricaholmes.com

      Thanks to all the CRL fans who have helped us with advice and information
      that has kept us on budget most months.

      Gracias
      Fred and Mary Holmes

    • Fred Holmes
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 28, 2012
        Many thanks to everyone who purchased my book in its first year. Although
        it isn't making us rich the sales have been steady and gratifying and most
        important we have received comments that the book has been helpful for many
        who are looking at Costa Rica as a retirement option.

        Happy New Year
        Fred and Mary Holmes

        --
        Fred Holmes, Author of "How to Live in Costa Rica on $1500 a Month"
        www.costaricaholmes.com or http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/120623

      • Fred Holmes
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 29, 2013
          My e-book, titled above, is available by clicking on the link below. For
          those of you not familiar with the book it covers many other topics, such
          as housing, activities available, transportation, currency, learning
          Spanish and many other subjects to help you decide whether this paradise is
          right for you. And it is only $3.99 with free revisions.
          Fred and Mary

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 29, 2013
            It's very simple Fred. If you want to live in C.R. for $1,500 a month, you better have $3,000 a month income. Damn is it getting expensive here.

            T.B.D. One Lucky Dogg Tours Travel & Transport
            http://oneluckydogg.com
          • no_good_addresses_left
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 29, 2013
              ***Edited by moderator for piggy-backing. Please remember to delete all or most of the post to which you are replying, before submitting your post. Thanks, CDP***

              Fred, when is the updated edition coming out?

              I highly recommend this book, not just for how you can live on $1,500 a month, but for all the honest and practical knowledge it will give you.
            • no_good_addresses_left
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 29, 2013

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 27, 2013
                  My E-Book (link below)  "How to Live in Costa Rica on $1500 a Month" is available through most e- book distributors for Kindle, Nook, Ipad and just about any mobile device on which you can install  a reading app. It can be downloaded in most all e-book formats and if you order it from Smashwords you can download it as many  times as you want to in a variety of formats. Also when the revision currently being written is published you can download that from Smashwords free of charge. Many other e-book publishers offer similar options. Samples available too. Check it out  Watta deal
                  --
                  Fred Holmes, Author of "How to Live in Costa Rica on $1500 a Month"
                  www.costaricaholmes.com   or   http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/120623

                • fredzetic
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 31, 2013

                    Fred, I boought and read your book last night! Thanks for it, well done. Reinforced everything I've devoured in the last 3 years. Heading down in March to explore.

                  • egelunddwayne
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 2, 2014

                      $1500 a month for ONE person is surely possible. I know many who are living here on that. Many locals live, I should say subsist on $500.00 however I would not recommend that  pure poverty here.

                        I have lived in Liberia, Turriabla , Esparza and now San Jose. You can  rent a nicer place father out however the convinces of living nearer to SJ out weighs the other areas. If you figure 1/3 of your budget for rent and utilities and cable internet.. That leaves you with 1K . Being a Penionado/Resident figure 10% going to the mandatory Caja health insurance.. in other words Obama care already here.

                       Figure $1500 to start with to obtain the pensionado status vs. Perpetual tourist. This will easily take you one to two years to complete.

                      I do not think you can maintain a car on that although a few tell me they do have a car and live on $1500. A tank of gas can cost $65... Golfing anyone figure $45.00 on certain days and offers..

                      Enjoy

                      ---In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, <fredzetic@...> wrote:

                      Fred, I boought and read your book last night! Thanks for it, well done.

                    • geegee_beatty
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 2, 2014
                        With the Corp taxes, roads fees, phone, cable, insurance, bus fares and food all going up, I would be very hesitant to say $1,500 is enough.

                        I think George Lindquist has raised his projection to his groups to $2,000. To many people are here now struggling. Yes, 5 years ago it was feasible. NOT today!  We have to be honest $400 for rent or $500 is a Tico home, no screens, not furnished at all or maybe no amenities  or some. I rented for 4 years and in some  of the cheapest $700 places I had to turn on this faucet to get water pressure or no heat at all on cool nights, no screens on the windows, 2 inch gaps under the doors were the bugs came in, and No W/D.
                         ONE light bulb in the middle of the room, 1/2 ref. and on and on.

                         I read a lot of these blogs and CRL and want to be honest with those thinking of coming here. TO MUCH fantasy thinking and if they have money left over at the end of the month then that is even better. Medication, Doctors,a fall or broken arm can set a $1,500 a month person way back. And how to get around via Cab or Bus? You need to take a Cab some times and it is not cheap. So don't think  minim coming here.  Costa Rica is catching up to the USA in prices, housing, and now food. Just went to the Feria and was shooked at the price of potatoes now.

                         Like a Coke,be prepared for 3 times more expensive. YES, YES, You can live in a Tico house and ride a bus, but did you work all your life to live SUB-STANDARD? THAT IS THE QUESTION.
                        IF YOU WANT TO LIVE CHEAP go to Georgia, Alabama, Tenn. You can buy a nice 3/2 for about $100,000
                         there in the USA.That would be rare here and have the same quality  home as in the USA. NO kidding.
                        OH the property taxes are cheaper here. Yes, they are, but that is about it. IF you are going to live on $1,500 -$2,000  then cheap labor is a mute point because you don't need a gardener or cleaning lady.

                        Not trying to detour Americans to come, but like I said every day I hear, OH I CANT AFFORD THAT.
                        I have heard that more here in C.Rica than in the USA. People just did not plan or save enough to retire COMFORTABLY in C.R. It is no fun coming to a country that you have to learn the culture, speak Spanish and struggle. That is not RETIREMENT that is Survival.
                        My opinion, my observation and experiences. Take what you need and leave the rest.

                        J / G
                      • sailorant7
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 2, 2014

                          $1500.00 a month? Better stay away from the Broads, Booze and Auto Mercado.

                          Sail,

                        • flagite
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 3, 2014
                            For the sake of North Americans considering a move to Costa Rica, I would like to point out that I live in Nicaragua on $1006 ($1021 starting this month) and have lots left over at the end of the month.  I rent a large house built to North American standards with American Standard fixtures and insulated wood ceiling under the traditional metal roof.  My rent is $100 per month.  Granted, I don't eat out much because I like to cook.  The daily express bus to Managua is under $4 for the 185 km trip.  Express bus, you say?  Yes, it loads a handful of people, up to a dozen or so, and then completely fills in Jinotega, the only other stop.  In my small town I have excellent 2.66 Mbps internet speed from Claro.  My electric bill is around $12 and the water bill is around $2.

                            There is zero crime.  The police use their 4-door pickup to lead the many parades we enjoy, and not much else.  My town has a few hundred residents and one of the largest Catholic churchs in Nicaragua.  Most families are distantly related and have lived here for generations.  One reason for the zero crime is a checkpoint just north of Jinotega where a carload of rough-looking Managuans would be stopped.  I leave my door open when I go to the store.

                            There is an excellent hospital in town and medical care is reasonable enough that I self-insure.  I asked a Nicaraguan friend what I would have to pay at the hospital and she said, "We don't have to pay.  You don't either."  This area is the main coffee, fruit, and vegetable growing region for Nicaragua, so I get the freshest at low prices.  The weather is 10 to 15 degrees cooler than Managua.  It's 66 degrees here this morning and expected to hit 72.  Managua is 81.  (My Davis Instruments weather station in the courtyard is the official weather station on Weather Underground for San Rafael and four surrounding cities, including Esteli, the third largest city in Nicaragua.)

                            This area is called the northeast highlands.  World famous Miraflor Preserve is 15 km west, as a bird flies, but 30 or 40 km by car because of a canyon between us.  There is zip line outfit 2 km north of town and lots of waterfalls.  There's no shortage of things to do:  Ten bars, one pool hall, a recreation center, and central park.

                             David Benton, San Rafael del Norte, Jinotega, Nicaragua
                            505-5716-5400 cell
                            505-2784-2200 home
                          • Fred Holmes
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 28, 2014
                              My e-book above is available through nearly all e-book distributors
                              including Amazon Kindle, B&N Nook, I Books, and many others. It is due for
                              a revision but don't let that stop you from spending the $3.99 as you will
                              be able to get future revisions free.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 25, 2014
                                This e-book with costs of living the good life in Costa Rica is still
                                available through most e-book publishers such as Amazon, B&N, Ibooks and
                                many more. It covers a wide range of subjects such as obtaining residency,
                                housing, customs, culture and many more. And all for the low price of
                                $3.99. See link below

                                Fred
                                -

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 27, 2014
                                  My e-book above is available from Amazon, B&N, I books, Smashwords and many
                                  other e-book sellers. I am in the process of revising it and bringing it up
                                  to date, but much of the information is still relative and if you buy it
                                  now you can get the revised edition at no extra cost through Smashwords as
                                  well as others. It will help you make the cultural adaptations necessary to
                                  live Pura Vida. And for just $3.99.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 29 9:52 AM
                                    My e-book is still available for the bargain price of 3.99 and is available
                                    for the Kindle, Nook, Ipad, computer and just about anything that will read
                                    an e-book. As well as costs of living, which BTW have increased somewhat in
                                    the past couple of years, the book covers other topics like, housing,
                                    recreation, climate, customs and many more. You can find it at the link
                                    below or nearly any e-book reseller.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 26, 2014
                                      My E-book above is available through Amazon (Kindle), Smashwords, Ibooks,
                                      B&N and most all E-book distributors of any size. As well as helping you
                                      live on a budget. the book also covers topics such as culture, learning the
                                      language, things to do, climate, and even touches on the few negatives in
                                      this paradise.
                                      And it is only $3.99 Wadda deal.