Not really a Star yet...

  • Sharon Wallace
    Message 1 of 58 , Dec 30, 2011
      I checked out the new website recommended by adrian today, and found it
      full of pretty interesting stories/information, and also full of
      grammatical, syntactic, and typographic errors. AM Costa Rica may start
      looking good by comparison:)

      The punctuation is erratic (Caracas/Venezuela should surely be Caracas,
      Venezuela), the word then is used for than, and commas seem to be placed
      whimsically. In several articles, it seemed likely that the author was
      being paid by the word. No opportunity to use four words when one would do
      was overlooked. Metaphors took a hit as well...being either mixed or, as
      in the following example, incomplete.

      "Just when it seemed like the civil engineers at MOPT had figured out a way
      to nip the pesky La
      Platina<http://www.facebook.com/pages/La-Platina/144190333516?sk=wall>problem
      on the bridge over the Virilla River, .." The words "in the bud"
      are conspicuous by their absence. I'm trying to picture nipping a problem
      on the bridge... "Just when it seemed like" could use a reworking as
      well. While Marcel Evans seems to have the lowest Journalism 101 grade of
      the lot, ("Don�t forget your paper towel and enough cold beer to kill a
      small horse."...SASY members, go get 'em), Sylvia Schneegans might benefit
      from a short course in tightening up her prose...although I must admit that
      there's entertainment value in "If you venture inside you will find a honey
      pot for literature lovers and curiosities collectionists:". Sounds vaguely
      pornographic...but it could just be I, to use the ever-scarcer predicate
      nominative.

      Visit the site yourselves. There's never too much local information
      available, and several of the articles had useful foodie info...always a
      favorite. But the writing is pretty excruciating. Jaime Lopez turned in
      the best work, I think.

      <http://news.co.cr/community/la-nacion-newspaper-costa-rica/26/12/2011/#more-594>

    • Robert Williams
      Message 58 of 58 , Jan 15 11:26 PM
        Monday I went to an optometrist here in Grecia for an an annual eye examination. I paid C 5,000 (or $10) for the exam. Last year I paid the same optometrist C 4,000 (or $8) for an eye examination. I thought, gee, inflation at a rate of 25%. And then I thought about the last tme I had an eye examination in the US. To my recollection it was about $80, and not covered by any insurance.

        So, i think I had rather live with the inflation here in Costa Rica, than tolerate the prices in the US.

        Robert