DOES ANYONE KNOW?

  • Paula
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 7, 2011
      My 90 year-old mother is here visiting us for a month. She lost her glasses on the plane or somewhere and needs a new pair if she is to do any kind of reading. Does anyone know how much it would cost to have an eye exam, get the lenses and frames?

      Paula
    • Carole Saylor
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 7, 2011
        needs a new pair if she is to do any kind of reading
        ************
        If she only needs them for reading (only for reading) why don't you just go to PriceSmart and buy some reading glasses?  You can get two pair for about $23.00.

        According to my eye doctor in the states, if you only need glasses for reading, the drug store glasses are as good as any.  The eye doctor just wants to make extra money (ripoff) unless the person has some kind of special eye problem.
        Carole

      • Tray
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 7, 2011
          why spend all that money at pricesmart when you can go to any optical clinic and buy readers for about $5.00 a piece.?

          --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, Carole Saylor <carolesaylor@...> wrote:

          >go to PriceSmart and buy some reading glasses?  You can get two pair for about $23.00.

        • A & A
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 7, 2011
            "Paula" <Rocky1.steve@...> wrote: Does anyone know how much it would cost to have an eye exam, get the lenses and frames?

            At your nearest Optica Visión shop you will be able to have an eye exam free of charge. Depending upon the results, you will receive recommendation for the glasses. This can be a simple set of reading glasses, depending upon the strength, from Col. 5'000 upwards. Münkel, another well-known shop, offers similar glasses at the same price.
            You may find that for prescription glasses, the frames are more expensive (according to taste, that is) than the glasses themselves.
            Usually the prescription glasses can be ready within a day or so, depending upon your location.
          • nosliwmas
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 7, 2011
              Re: Reading Glasses...

              You should be able to find them in most farmacias and in lots
              of jewelry stores for ¢1200-1500+, and that probably includes a
              nice case and cleaning cloth. In particular, I've noticed them
              in the little jewelry store facing the north side of the central
              park in Liberia for ¢1200-1350 ($2.50-2.75) or so.

              --
              Sam

              Tray wrote:

              > go to any optical clinic and buy readers for about $5.00 a piece.?
              >

              > > go to PriceSmart [...] You can get two pair for about $23.00.

            • Steve Friedman
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 7, 2011
                Unfortunately she does have some special eye problem - she has macular degeneration in both eyes - one she can still see with the other not so good - so I think she needs a proper eye exam.

                Paula
              • rybzero
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 7, 2011
                  --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Tray" <QueMirabella@...> wrote:

                  > why spend all that money at pricesmart when you can go to any optical clinic and buy readers for about $5.00 a piece.?
                  >
                  >Paula,

                  If she needs an eye exam and new glasses, not just readers, about the least expensive place is Asembi's. It's a full clinic. They have several locations. Call 2285-5881 to find the location that works best for you. I stumbled upon them somewhere not too far between the Coca Cola and the National Theater.

                  Diane

                • John French
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 7, 2011
                    Pricesmart is indeed one source for non-prescription reading glasses,
                    for about $23.00.

                    Many local pulperias also carry them for 2,500 colones. I bought 2 pair
                    -- 1.00 and 4.00 magnification. They work fine. The little store where i
                    bought them is one block west of the traffic light on Rohrmoser Blvd
                    that leads to the US embassy, next door to the pharmacy.

                    John French
                  • steveandpaulacr
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 18, 2014
                      O.K. I know there are a number of techies out there - I need your help. I want to turn my SAP on, however when I go to audio select my remote goes to all the selections except that one (it's a different colour from the others on the t.v.). Why is that, does anyone know?

                      Paula

                    • Anthony Carneiro
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 19, 2014
                        Re: "I need your help. I want to turn my SAP on"

                        Hi Paula;

                        What Brand TV? Model No?

                        Ciao;
                        Anthony C./Curricabat

                      • steveandpaulacr
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 20, 2014
                          It’s a “Sharp” and have no idea of the model number. It’s about 10 years old I should think. The strange thing is that I had the SAP function until a couple of days ago when it was suggested I turn it off to get HBO in English. I then went to turn it back on to get TNT in English and that function is now no longer active. I has a different colour from the other functions and the remote just skips by it. I can’t work it out.

                          Paula
                        • alajuelanorth
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 20, 2014
                            Yo Paula, do you have any 12 year olds in the neighborhood, they'll just hack at it till it gives up :-))
                            Berni

                          • Mark Gill
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 20, 2014
                              Not sure if this helps!! For SAP I use the remote on the cable box to change languages. Normally I leave it on English, but when when Latino friends are over I change it to Spanish. I never use my remote for the TV for this.

                            • steveandpaulacr
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 21, 2014
                                That’s interesting - how do you change languages on your cable box remote?

                                Paula
                              • Bob Furlong
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 22, 2014
                                  With a ball point pen I think. Bob, yes a smart ass, I know!

                                  (410) 533-5987 US cell. (506) 8869-4569 CR cell
                                  (877) 827-4956 toll Free call to CR
                                  Skype Bob.Furlong1
                                • steveandpaulacr
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 22, 2014
                                    I thoroughly checked all the options on my cable remote and there is not one button that says anything about changing languages - there are several coloured buttons which are designated “speak to your provider”, or something like that.

                                    Paula
                                  • Markboyne
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 22, 2014
                                      I have tigo and a Motorola cable box. On your remote pushing menú twice. Scroll down to language. Right arrow to audio. Pushing audio and then pick english or spanish.

                                      Sent from my iPhone
                                    • steveandpaulacr
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 23, 2014
                                        Doesn’t work - if I press menu twice, it cancels itself. I clicked every function on the remote twice and the same thing happens. The menu basically shows things like parental control, tools, search (tried that), - tried all of them, it just isn’t there.

                                        Paula
                                      • jrnut Paul
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 23, 2014
                                          DOES ANYONE KNOW?

                                          On our remote (sky) we push the green + button. Sometimes you can change
                                          languages and sometimes you can't. The grandbaby gets to watch Dora in
                                          both english and spanish.

                                          Paul

                                        • steveandpaulacr
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 23, 2014
                                            I have a couple of coloured buttons on my remote but all of them say to speak to our provider which is ICE.

                                            Paula
                                          • steveandpaulacr
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 23, 2014
                                              Well it looks like my problem solved itself, so to speak. It had nothing to do with my TV nor my remote. In the middle of watching NCIS a message came up from my service provider which is ICE. They requested I put in my password - the only password I figured I had was my account number - I put it in, and it worked. I can now get most of the channels I want in English just be pressing twice on the green button (which had been inactive before) and then choosing my language!

                                              Paula
                                            • laurelfanderson
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 29, 2014
                                                The button on your remote says SAP, not all of the channels will change, it may go mute, but many do change, if you change the channel you will have to press SAP again when you return to the channel, it does not work on commercials.

                                              • steveandpaulacr
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 29, 2014
                                                  It seems my problem wasn’t my remote - it was ICE. A couple of days ago I got a message on my TV that asked for my clave (password), so we put in our account number, it took and then there was a message telling us how to get the language feature.

                                                  Paula
                                                • alajuelanorth
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 30, 2014
                                                    I didn't know ICE did cable TV? Berni