BCR site access from outside CR

  • etlingera_farms
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 30, 2011
      Banco De Costa Rica just put a block on their on-line banking web site. I can no longer log in from the United States to pay my bills.

      Seems pretty lame. Whatever the reason is.
    • Tim McHyde
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 30, 2011
        Steve,

        That's a new feature that you can turn off if you want: only CR or everywhere. I don't know why yours suddenly set to CR only. Mine is still at everywhere where it defaulted to when they created this feature.

        To switch it you you need to go to:

        (at top) Personalizar
        (at left) Control por lugar de acceso

        Pick Ingreso a la oficina virtual desde Costa Rica y el Exterior

        Of course, you'll have to use a CR proxy or have someone you trust in CR make the change for you.

        Tim
      • Tim McHyde
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 30, 2011
          By the way, I just remembered they have been warning of another change you may also have missed:

          Starting November 1st, you'll need to have their clave dinamica card or some other new card you have pick up at the office to use bill pay.

          So if you do get your "exterior" access back on and don't have one of those, you'll still be unable to use "pagos"

          Sorry.

          Tim
        • stanhopi
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 31, 2011
            --- "Tim McHyde" <tmchyde@...> wrote:

            > Starting November 1st, you'll need to have their clave dinamica card
            > or some other new card you have pick up at the office to use bill pay.

            Hi Tim,

            What I have BN refers to as a 'token' in spanish. Is that what
            you are referring to?

            The token is a random number generator which must be coded to
            your bank account and costs somewhere around ¢3000 to buy.

            Without one you cannot perform any transactions online with your
            BN accounts.

            I got mine last May and it works fine from Florida when I'm here.

            HTH

            Paul M.
            ==
          • jessreeves4994
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 31, 2011
              We're in the same boat...we're in the US right now & cannot access our accounts. So, we sent money down with a friend to pay our bills through December, when we'll return to CR & can deal with the bank. Very frustrating!!! Thankfully we have someone we can trust to handle our money or else we'd have to make an emergency trip (which now that I think about it doesn't sound like such a bad idea!!!).

              Jessica
            • etlingera_farms
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 31, 2011
                --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "stanhopi" <stanhopi@...> wrote:

                > --- "Tim McHyde" <tmchyde@> wrote

                Yes Tim. Good catch. That must be it. I'm using a new computer. I never thought about booting up the old one and trying it. I did try a VPN service. But, my free trial did not work. And, I'm too cheap to pay for a service that will expire on November 1 or 2nd when Banco De Costa Rica will force me to get another Clave dinamica card.

                For those who don't know, the Clave Dinamica card is a card that has cells like a spreadsheet. When you try to pay somebody, the bank will make you refer to this card and type in the values that correspond to 3 randomly chosen cells. For instance, it may ask you to put in the values of D3, A2, & J5. You then refer to your card, which is different shades of blue to prevent you from making a photo copy, and you plug in those values to complete your transaction. I got my card in 2008, and it has been good up until tomorrow. Then I'm kind of SOL as far as Banco De Costa Rica is concerned.

                The token that Paul mentioned is Banco Nacional's answer to security. It is an actual keychain token that generates passwords. You used to need it to add new payees to your account. But, now you need it to log on to the on-line banking service too. I obtained my original for 3.000 colones in July or August 2010. My token just expired about 2 weeks ago. I was able to renew it on-line from the U.S. without any problems. I believe they debited my account another 3.000 for the re-activation.

                I like to use Banco De Costa Rica. They let me auto pay my telephone, and internet bill.

                But, I need to use Banco Nacional. They let me pay my caja, and my property taxes.

                Both let me pay my ICE electric bill.

                Banco Nacional allows me to make payments to people who bank at other Costa Rican institutions. But, in order to do that, they have to have an account in same currency as my account. In other words, I can only xfer money to other accounts if the other account is in dollars.

                I cannot recall if what I am describing at Banco Nacional is a SNIPE transfer or if a SNIPE transfer is what I used when I need to send money to an account that was not set up in Dollars.

                I closed my Citibank account soon after they took over for Cuscutlan. They were just too nasty for my liking.

                Anyway, that is how my dysfunctional Costa Rican banking experience works.

                Steve
              • stanhopi
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 31, 2011
                  --- "etlingera_farms" <bellavista@...> wrote:

                  > The token that Paul mentioned is Banco Nacional's answer to security.
                  > It is an actual keychain token that generates passwords. You used to
                  > need it to add new payees to your account.

                  > I obtained my original for 3.000 colones in July or August 2010.
                  > My token just expired about 2 weeks ago. I was able to renew it
                  > on-line from the U.S. without any problems. I believe they debited
                  > my account another 3.000 for the re-activation.

                  Hi Steve,

                  While the customer is required to go into the bank to buy and activate
                  his token the first time, I was never advised that it would eventually
                  expire. I did wonder whether its batteries would eventually run down.

                  Now you have answered that question and posed another one along
                  with it, re your token expiring but you being able to renew it on-line
                  and being charged another ¢3000 to do so.

                  Would you elaborate for us all the steps to renewing it and whether
                  there were any snags or drawbacks during the renewal process?

                  Was that an online renewal, or did you phone in or send an email?

                  Regards,

                  Paul M.
                  ==
                • etlingera_farms
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 31, 2011
                    --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "stanhopi" <stanhopi@...> wrote:

                    > Would you elaborate for us all the steps to renewing it and whether
                    > there were any snags or drawbacks during the renewal process?
                    >
                    > Was that an online renewal, or did you phone in or send an email?

                    I don't recall exactly what steps I took to renew it. I did renew it on-line. There were no two choices. They did not let me log in without renewing. There was a number that I was welcome to call. But, I did not need to call it. I was able to reactivate without any snags. It must have been really easy. My Spanish isn't that good.

                    It sure felt like a victory. My on-line Costa Rican banking always makes me sweat.

                    Steve
                  • Tim McHyde
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 31, 2011
                      Glad to help. And here's more:

                      > But, I need to use Banco Nacional. They let me pay my caja, and my property taxes.

                      For over a year now BCR has also had ability to pay property taxes under the Municipalidades (garbage truck icon) button

                      Likewise I think you can pay caja under one of now 18 pay clients ("Cuotas obrero patronal"?) I don't know that one for sure since I have ARCR deduct that one from my capital one card automatically.

                      Tim
                    • artedwards65
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
                        --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Tim McHyde" <tmchyde@...> wrote:
                        > > But, I need to use Banco Nacional. They let me pay my caja, and my property taxes.

                        I think you can set up an automatic payment for all your bills with BN although I haven't done so as deposits are not always there when they should be plus I print out a receipt for each payment. CAJA accepts my printed receipts for payments, I print out a copy for my wife, myself and a copy for my clipboard in case one of us looses their copy. I can pay all my bills and do print outs in less than 5 minutes.

                      • John French
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
                          Steve commented that he needs BN to pay his CAJA.

                          Not so. BCR has allowed CAJA payments for us voluntarios for many months
                          now. Got to payments, click on the CAJA payment option, enter voluntario
                          (etc) and your many digit CAJA number, and voila!

                          John French