Re: John Hull - Just curious . . .

  • nosliwmas
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
      Anthony wrote regarding John Hull's Runway:
      > The airport was in Santa Elena.

      I think that was a different airport used for similar purposes.
      It sure is mysteriously blurry around Hacienda Santa Elena in the
      satellite fotos:

      http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Santa+Elena,+Guanacaste,+Costa+Rica&hl=es&ll=10.919786,-85.836182&spn=0.134337,0.188313&hnear=Santa+Elena,+Provincia+de+Guanacaste,+Costa+Rica&t=h&z=13&vpsrc=6

      Here's a discussion talking about the 2 airports distinctly:

      http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKhullJ.htm
      The map note refers to Barry Seal and Luis Ochoa, the Colombian drug magnate, running cocaine into Santa Elena. The C-130 and DC-6B notations refer to the reason the field was improved and the airstrip lengthened at the direction of Secord and North. "Barry Seal had flown in the Fat Lady with weapons one time and got her stuck:' Plumlee says. "That decided 'em to lengthen the airstrip.'

      Interestingly, during John Poindexter's current trial, in which he is charged with conspiracy to destroy documents, obstruct investigations, and lie to Congress, the prosecutor introduced a memo from Oliver North that seems to corroborate Plumlee's story about the stuck airplane. North had written to Poindexter that "one of the planes of the contra re supply operation got mired down in the mud at an airport in Costa Rica:'

      Another reason Santa Elena was upgraded was that the other major staging area for the contras' southern front, the ranch owned by American citizen John Hull, 150 kilometers east-southeast of Santa Elena, wasn't big enough for the scale of the operation. Also, even though Hull worked closely with the CIA in helping to arm the contras, the use of an American's land in Costa Rica for an arms shipment point was politically unacceptable to the Costa Rican government.

      If my Great Circle Calculation between the longitude and lattitude
      points of Hacienda Santa Elena and Muelle San Carlos is bastante
      correct, Muelle San Carlos is pretty close to 150 km ESE of Hda
      Santa Elena. Lots of places around that area look like they could
      be landing strips... I've got a casi-yerno who is a social studies
      professor -- a smart guy, interested in Costa Rica's historical
      place in world affairs, etc. I'll ask him what he knows about the
      affairs surrounding this subject at that time. His Tico perspective
      about the subject surely could not be smeared into being that of a
      "Reagan-lover" nor that of the "enlightened more intelligent folks"
      on the other side. He's a good teacher that challenges his students
      to think about things and study an issue from multiple angles.

      Perhaps this discussion about Costa Rican historical affairs can be
      continued as an interesting conversation between adults without
      breaking down into rants about one's opinion of right vs wrong,
      left vs right, etc?

      ¡Ojalá!

      --
      Sam
    • Al
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
        I think the airport part of the thread is confuso.

        Hull had multiple places he could take off and land his little planes.

        But then the big guys got involved and built Santa Rosa
        <http://books.google.co.cr/books?id=T98l_OtHPR8C&pg=PA110&lpg=PA110&dq=santa+rosa+ollie+north+secret+costa+rica&source=bl&ots=lZRu8c3zZX&sig=hSQ3YLGu8SH64TyI73IKGUSBkZ0&hl=en&ei=_AmHTtfCJILbgQfVvvX5Cg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&sqi=2&ved=0CFEQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q&f=false>

        Interesting this passage refers to Alvaro Ugalde pushing the Costa Rican government to do the right thing.

        Also this passage is from a remarkable book about the rebuilding of the Guanacaste National Park.

        Berni
      • Silvia Hidalgo
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 2, 2011
          Mr. Hull lived in Muelle de San Carlos indeed. The runway was just a strip in his farm, not a paved runway. He was well respected in our community and we regretted to see him leave. Although he tried big time to return, has not been able to do so. We used to cross the river on a boat to get to his farm, but then a bridge was built so it was easy to get there. Beautiful house too.  Helping the sandinistas is something all ticos did at the time, we all believed in getting rid of the Somoza dictatorship, too bad things turned out wrong. All wrong.

          Silvia H.
          Phone / Fax: 2 460-8749