Children's Museum

  • Benjamin Over
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
      Interesting news this morning (tranlated by Google) from Kolbi Msn:
      http://noticias.kolbi.msn.com/nueva-sala-del-museo-de-los-ni%C3%B1os-genera-pol%C3%A9mica

      The Children's Museum opened a new room called "Super Smart".
      This new attraction aims to inform children of the house on the
      benefits of selecting what is best when going to the store and identify
      the best choices of products on the market.
      In this "Super", children can play and learn with representations of
      products such as vegetables, fruits, and cash and cash registers.
      This proposal was made by an alliance of the company Walmart Mexico and Central America and the Children's Museum.

      The controversy
      The new "Super" is generating controversy in social networks.
      According to the Facebook wall, In defense of the convenience store, it was noted that "what we did in the children's museum is very serious
      ... almost, almost like putting the kids to sing the U.S. on 15
      September. The room is called "smart shopping" at Walmart, or is about
      to teach them that if you buy in a grocery store and not smart. SABOTAGE TO THIS ROOM !!!".
      While in the wall of the Children's Museum itself are also generated opinions.
      For example: Paola Vega said "Macabre and dishonest. I can not believe that a public entity is doomed to pay ransom to set
      up cultural propaganda of transnational awareness of the Costa Rican
      children and to enact the "virtues" of globalization rather than preach
      fierce values ​​of solidarity in a country that needs it so much " .

    • pookiep44
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
        "...The room is called "smart shopping" at Walmart, or is about
        > to teach them that if you buy in a grocery store and not smart. SABOTAGE TO THIS ROOM !!!". "
        "... I can not believe that a public entity is doomed to pay ransom to set
        > up cultural propaganda of transnational awareness of the Costa Rican
        > children and to enact the "virtues" of globalization rather than preach
        > fierce values...‹of solidarity in a country that needs it so much "

        I'm not surprised by any of this. We went to the children's museum in Miami a few years ago and there was a "Cruise" exhibit, sponsored by Carnival Cruise Lines and grocery shopping exhibit sponsored by Publix, a huge (and fabulous!) chain of stores in the SE US. I found it incredibly tacky and obvious but, you get what these corporations pay for. I find the whining and crying of the masses, about the "injustice" and the perceived slighting of the small business owners and lack of "solidarity", far more annoying than the blatant marketing to little kids. If the pulperias want a voice, someone's gonna have to pay for it. It may not seem "fair", but it's just that simple. If people like the ones complaining are serious about this and not just being indignant because it makes them sound cool, then why don't they take up a collection and sponsor an exhibit that reflects these values and this point of view?

        Pookie
      • John Dungan
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
          Frankly, I can't make heads or tails of the quote or quotes offered by
          Benj.

          Are they saying that the exhibit is a blatant attempt at influencing young people to buy at Walmart? If they're talking about what I think they're talking about, I see no problem whatsoever..........let's face it. "Supers" in CR are not at all super, in any sense of the word, so if this thing might help Ticos learn how to shop for better bargains, that is nothing short of great.
        • Al
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 3, 2011
            But does it "belong" in a children's museum?

            From wiki: Children's museums are institutions that provide exhibits and programs to stimulate informal learning experiences for children. In contrast with traditional museums that typically have a hands-off policy regarding exhibits, children's museums feature interactive exhibits that are designed to be manipulated by children. The theory behind such exhibits is that activity can be as educational as instruction, especially in early childhood. Most children's museums are nonprofit organizations, and many are run by volunteers or by very small professional staffs.

            Berni
            Usually Disturbed
          • powernapper
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 3, 2011
              The museums are paid for by tax dollars. The sad , sad, sad truth is that they are entitled to something like 3 per cent of the national budget, at least the Ministerio de CUltura is, and they manage the museums.

              The very sad truth is that not a single administration has EVER given them their 3 per cent established by law. The best that has ever happened is that the administrations have given 1 per cent.

              I have no idea where the money goes, but the whole budget for the ministerio de cultura es about 60,000 dollars a year, which is museums, music events, art shows, and a thousand other things. How they do ANYTHING with 60,000 dollars is beyond my comprehension.

              When that happens, it means that museums and public events MUST find sponsors to exist.

              It is obvious that their sponsors are going to be large corporations , because small businesses in this country are really struggling, and now, more than ever, due to tax increases on everything.

              It is naive to assume that McDOnalds or Walmart will not be the sponsors, they have a budget for that sort of thing AND THE GOVERNMENT WILL NOT COOPERATE WITH IT'S OWN RULES.

              If you rally want to do something, send letters of support to Manuel Obregon, carbon copy the President{s office or your diputado, insisting that they get the budget designated by the law. If they did, a sponsor would be unneccesary! 3 per cent of the whopping budget that they approving this year? Well, there would be no need for sponsors!

              Manuel Obregon, Ministro of Cultura published an intervoew saying that they are getting roughly one HALF of ONE per cent right now.

              They are entitled to 6 times that amount.

              If you don't like to see Macdonalds or Coca COla promoting stupid stuff with the children's museum, you have to know how underfunded the ministry of culture really is.

              Robbie

              Hugs.
              Robbie
            • powernapper
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 3, 2011
                on the same note, the National Museum of Costa Rican art ( it was the original main airport, it is in the Parque in Sabana) is having a wonderful display of an artist who has generations of work using a mountain of different techniques.

                The exposition is lovely, but so is the building. I highly recomend you go see the former VIP waiting room from back when it was the airport. The whoe room is a bronze relief of the perception of the country way back when.

                It is truly amazing. The building is really beautiful and a national treasure.

                My neighbor, Florencia Urbina, is the director and how they have managed to restore the building and have such fine quality of art with a VERY limited budget is a miracle. You would think that just that museum would consume the entire bedget of the minitstry of culture. They have on going classes, an art school with 1800 students.

                How some people do such amazing things on a shoestring budget is beyond me.

                SHe deserves to get a medal.

                YOU deserve to see this beautiful historical building and the art that lies within!

                Hugs,
                Robbie