relocating ?

  • Exoticatz Wildlife Retreat
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2003
      Hello Group,
      we are new to this list and are planing a visit this coming June.

      We would love to know what exactly it takes to relocate to this beautiful country.
      I have been to the embassy sights and have most of the prerequistes that they require.
      My questions to most of you is:

      why arent more people moving down there?

      would a wood working/ manufacturer be a business that the government would be interested in ?

      How about an exotic wildcat sanctuary ?

      I would also like to hear from folks who have lived in The USA and have chosen to move to Costa Rica permanently, pros & cons?

      Thanks,
      Jenny Q
      Executive Director
      Exoticatz Wildlife Retreat
      a non profit rescue/educational facility dedicated to the welfare of captive bred wild animals
      and alternative livestock !!
      a 501 c 3 organization

      www.exoticatz.org

    • The Tribe
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2003
        We moved to CR Dec. 1999 and here are my feelings about living here for 2
        1/2 years.

        To a new comer, it seems that where you came from, determines if you think
        it is worth the price.
        If you come from New York it is a good deal, if your from Texas it is
        expensive.

        If you speak Spanish your life here will be much easier, but remember this,
        you will always be a "GRINGO" to everyone but your close tico friends, and
        even then you are a "gringo" (note the small gringo).

        To my family (my gringa wife, and 21 year old gringo son) the hardest things
        about living here are the small things. Things like the double standards
        when it comes to doing business. You are a rich gringo and can afford to pay
        more. I am sure that some very rich gringos who came here long ago started
        this crap by thinking, and acting, like they were better than the tico's.
        I managed to live in the states for 50 plus years and only needed a lawyer
        maybe two times in my life.....here, everything you do it seems that you
        need a lawyer.
        The small thing like noise, most Americans live in air conditioned houses,
        and we rarely open the windows. Here ( in the central valley) you really
        don't need A/C that often, so you open the windows, I am not being
        critical, but the noise level is incredible! construction,traffic, roosters,
        dogs, loudspeakers, airplanes,salesmen.
        I am sure that there was allot of noise in the states, but with the windows
        closed you could escape it, or just didn't notice it as much. Not to mention
        the dust in the dry season, it is incredible!
        As Americans we are spoiled to having our own cars, and owning a car is easy
        and cheap, here owning a car is a royal pain in the posterior!

        Dave Shade