100 years ago

  • Sharon Wallace
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2011
      100 years ago the life expectancy for a white male was 50, for a white
      female was 53. For a non-white male it was 34, and for a non-white female
      it was 37. The US infant mortality rate was around 20%, and the childhood
      mortality another whomping 20%.

      Mama was at home taking care of the children...she didn't have to worry
      about silly stuff like politics, after all...women didn't get the vote in
      the US until 1920. And, anyway, it wasn't until 1917 and 1918 that 2
      million American men were called up to military service, allowing for women
      to enter the relatively well-paid jobs the men had to leave behind.

      I'm sure we all miss the good old days.

      Sharon