MSG

  • John Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , May 30 2:02 PM
      Not sure how to spell it, but in Chinese restaurants they call MSG Ajio Moto.

      Just ask them not to put it in.

      The snacks made locally here used to be free of preservatives, but I think since the free trade agreement went in they put it in now just like the US brands, though maybe not as much.

      This is one reason I got used to the local brands years ago, as I had a reaction to the imports but not to the local stuff. Now the local stuff seems to do about the same thing.

      Toucan

      EVERYTHING you need to know about Costa Rica! http://www.soyawannamove.com
      Coaching for your success: http://coachingcostarica.com
      SuccessQuest forum: http://successquest.info Blog: http://successquest.name
    • Lic.Gregory K
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31 11:00 AM
        It´s called Ajinomoto.
      • Bruce Gowens
        Message 3 of 7 , May 31 2:13 PM
          That's Aji No Moto, and it is the Japanese name for MSG.   I was surprised to find that MSG is sold as Aji No Moto in the stores, including the mercados.  I have no idea why the Japanese name became predominate since I didn't see many/any Japanese when I was in CR; Chinese yes, Japanese no.

          > Not sure how to spell it, but in Chinese restaurants they call MSG Ajio Moto.

        • Christopher Howard
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
            Although it has a different name here, the correct Spanish word is
            ³monosodio de glutamato²

          • Gary B
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
              I suspect the name Ajinomoto is used in many countries of the world. I have to ask about it when traveling, since I've very sensitive to it. They of course use the name Ajinomoto in Japan, but also Thailand and others (I'm starting to loose track now, but possibly Malaysia, Viet Naam, Mexico, Australia, Singapore).

              Sunday we were thinking of buying a casado from a street vendor in Tamarindo. We asked if the beans contained Ajinomoto. The vendor said "Yes", and pointed to the pot of beans. Sometimes vendors will say "yes" because they didn't understand the question, but it seemed clear that she understood, and that the beans had Ajinomoto in them. Wow, I didn't realize MSG was that widespread. I'm glad we asked. I saved myself several hours of suffering.
            • Silvana Vucic
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
                Monosodium Glutamate.......I have avoided it since 1980 :-))

                MSG was in everything! The Campbell's soups, the Hostess
                Doritos, the Lays flavored potato chips, Top Ramen, Betty Crocker Hamburger
                Helper, Heinz canned gravy, Swanson frozen prepared meals, Kraft salad
                dressings, especially the 'healthy low fat' ones. The items that didn't
                have MSG had something called Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, which is just
                another name for Monosodium Glutamate.

                http://www.rense.com/general52/msg.htm

                Silvana

              • Steven
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
                  > MSG was in everything!

                  Several brands of mayonnaise have it too. Read the fine print.
                  --Steve