BUYER BEWARE

  • Paula
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 23, 2011
      There has been some talk in the local newspapers about the shenanigans Mega Super has been pulling and has been indicted for 15 times! They post one price and charge another with the excuse that you must use your Mayorista card. If you don't pull out your card before they start tallying up your groceries - you're out of luck and have to pay the higher price even though you have your card and show it to them.

      Now they are not the only ones you have to watch. This morning I went for my weekly Mas X Menos specials. They had in the paper and listed in the egg section, high where you really had to look to find it - Omega 3 eggs on special for ¢1065/Kg - now that's a good deal, most places they're ¢1,300-¢1,5,00/kg and at Pipasa in Sta. Ana Centro at Pipasa this week ¢1,075/kg. So, I hied off and bought 2 dozen eggs. I noticed that the price on the egg box was the normal price so I mentioned it to the employee and he said that it would be fixed at the cash. Off to the cash I went, and guess what - they didn't know anything about the special. An employee went to see whether these eggs were in fact on special and he found out of course that they were - my question: Why weren't the cashiers made aware of this price change? The lady behind me said it was a "trampa", which means its basically a trap.

      Paula
    • Paula
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 6, 2011
        A friend of mine shops with her phone camera. She takes a photo of the item she would like to buy and then comparison shops. One day, she went into Cemaco and took her usual photo of an item she wanted for one of her children for Christmas, it was marked at ¢18,000. Then she thought she would wait until "Black Friday" and went back for the item, which was marked reduced from ¢24,000 to ¢18,000 - is this a ripoff or what?

        Please check things before you buy them. Many times things that are on sale are really not. I have personally seen items in various stores with old stickers which had a lower price and then are covered up with a new sticker at a higher price and then went on sale for the old price.

        Paula
      • allendickinson70
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2014
          I relate the following experience for others who may contemplate making a similar purchase. I will not name the store where I had this experience, but if you can’t figure it out and want to know, email me directly.

          Last Monday evening I went to a big box retailer in Escazu to purchase a new cell phone. They were having a sale and I found what appeared to be a nice, low priced, smart phone and purchased it for less than $100 USD. The following day the phone began malfunctioning: it would shut it self down, completely, at random times, and requireD a reboot to operate; it would fail to detect any network signal on start-up and would require a second, total reboot to obtain a signal; it would randomly change the date and time settings; at times it could not detect my contacts list without rebooting. Additionally, the screen had begun delaminating and at times would not respond to touch.

          Yesterday (three and one-half days after the purchase) I returned to the big box store to obtain a replacement. There I was told, repeatedly, that I could NOT have a replacement, that they would only send the device back to the factory to see if it could be repaired. I found that unsatisfactory and, unsatisfied with the answers I was getting, would ask to see that person’s supervisor. As I progressed up through the chain of command I spoke with five persons, each of whom stone-walled me with the same response . . . and added more: At one point I was told, “(Name of chain store) provided the warranty, not manufacturer” (despite my having the original warranty slip that was included with the phone, which states differently.) Later, that “The warranty is only good for 24-hours.” At another point I was told, “This is NOT (name of store) America, we do things differently.” (I assured the person I already knew the difference and this was (name of store) Mexico, but that customer service was universal, and all I wanted customer service.)

          After working my way up through the chain-of-command, I was finally offered a choice: 1) to take a full refund and “go to a different store to buy another” or, 2) exchange the phone for another in that store and pay any difference in the purchase price. Number two, however, came with the caution that if I chose to purchase another phone from this big box store, and it too proved to be defective, there was no recourse - I would NOT be able to exchange it; I would NOT be able to have it repaired by the factory; and I would NOT be allowed to receive a refund.

          I took the refund.

          An added note: Each of the first four persons I talked to spoke no English, only the last person, a fact which made things more difficult. As the whole thing transpired, a period exceeding 30-minutes, a larger and larger crowd (mostly other store employees) gathered around to watch this irate old Gringo demand customer service. I don’t know if the crowd or my persistence had any effect on their final decision, but I had the distinct impression that if I had not insisted on bringing more and more senior people into the discussion, I would not have ever have been offered the two options I was.

          I write this to let others know that if they are considering purchasing a complex electronic device from this big box store they might seriously first consider what may happen to them if that device proves to be defective in any way.

          My sincere thanks to HDF who was on hand to support me and help with translation.

          Allen Dickinson
          Santa Ana

        • livinglifeincostarica
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2014
            Yet ANOTHER example of my (& MANY others) belief that MANY products brought into Costa Rica are often less than good (don't work right, don't last as long, break down/don't function). WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN SO MUCH HERE?? I feel it MIGHT have LOTS to do with the fact that your "average" Tico (NOT ALL) is VERY NON-confrontational, so rarely will they say "boo" when they're getting screwed over (added to the lack of training in GOOD Customer Service [which I feel in some areas is slowly shifting - at least based on MY experience much of the time!]). MAYBE THAT was why they were gathering to watch Allan - to learn your technique to help them one day say I'm as mad as Hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore. http://youtu.be/wtfCRaNg5EU http://youtu.be/wtfCRaNg5EU I'm as mad as Hell, and I'm not going to take th... Best line in recorded history. Network, 1976, Pet... (I'm holding that in the vision of this incident!!)

            Vicki Skinner
            http://LivingLifeInCostaRica.blogspot.com
          • Maxine de Villefranche
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2014
              I have a feeling that the Chinese know about the lack of assertiveness suffered by many Ticos and they send their worst made goods here.  Maybe not only the Chinese know.  Maybe many others as well!!!

            • alajuelanorth
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2014
                Allen, one issue here is there are no good smart phones that actually work for "under $100" - well as far as I know - if you post the model number we can be aware of it?
                Berni
                i assume the store you are talking about is on the corner as you exit the 27 into Escazu?

              • allendickinson70
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 5, 2014
                  Can't find Berni's post, so answers here: The name of the phone is "SmartBitt" (Ok, I should known . . .) And, yes, that location is correct.

                  -Allen

                • rdresslar
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 8, 2014
                    Actually, I bought a really good smartphone from Cococos near Mall San Pedro last month for $125 (IVI included) and it's now dropped to $116.

                    It's a Huawei Ascend Y320 and has a 4" display, 524 meg of RAM and 4 Gig of ROM (expandable to 36 Gig with a microHCSD 32 Gig card). It runs Android 4.2 and has 2G/3G capability down here. Check out the specs here; it's pretty impressive:

                    Huawei Ascend Y320 - Full phone specifications http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_ascend_y320-5936.php

                    http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_ascend_y320-5936.php

                    Huawei Ascend Y320 - Full phone specifications http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_ascend_y320-5936.php General 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 3G Network HSDPA 900 / 2100 HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 SIM Yes Announced 2013, October Status Avail...

                    View on www.gsmarena.com http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_ascend_y320-5936.php
                    Preview by Yahoo

                    I'm very happy with it.

                    Arne