www.fleamarketcr.com -- We BUY - SELL And CONSIGN All Types Of Household Goods

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 29, 2010
      Do you have something for sell? We take Household Items on Consignment. We buy,sell,and consign. Just give us a call and let us know what you have. We have a beautiful showroom that is always updated by our designers. We will sell it for you. We are not just some warehouse to throw your items into. Come by and see how we can get you top $$$ And we offer as much as a 70% split. We are located in Rohrmoser close to the embassy. We have over 2000 registered users on our website looking for household goods. Maybe their looking for what you have.

      *Are you leaving Costa Rica?
      *Want to get top dollar for your items?
      *Don't like garage sales where people offer you pennies on the dollar?
      *Got an individual item with no time to answer calls and nervous about strangers coming to your home?
      *Contact us, we solve all of these issues and more
      Just give me a call at 8362-1153

      Click here to view our website: fleamarketcr.com
    • Karla
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 29, 2010
        Hello and good afternoon - there are about three nanny/housekeeper positions available between posts here and people I know.

        So please if someone can rec. somebody (these all seem to be for 4-5 days a week and not full day) post the information here so we can publicly benefit from them.

        The one my friend Zaida is needing is Monday-Friday from noon to 5 p.m., she lives by the Tibas Price Smart and pays C20,000 per week.

        The other two were for other CRL'ers themselves.

        Thank you for referrals -- good ones!

        Have a good evening.
      • arliejan
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 30, 2010
          the postings for house help gave me an idea for a business some expat might consider - contracting out maids, job-shop or whatever the word is...might be a way to organize and train, bond and insure house workers ...
          am too sleepy to continue but wanted to put the idea out there. there may already be such shops in CR...

          --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Karla" <karlapuravida@...> wrote:

          > Hello and good afternoon - there are about three nanny/housekeeper positions available between posts here and people I know.

        • emm
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 30, 2010
            Hello

            To quote what was mentioned by "arliejan" I actually have been doing that sort of arrangement for people here in Costa Rica for the last five years... it started small with only cleaning ladies, but now we offer childcare and elder care options. I had never thought to offer the services here in the group...silly me I know but in case someone is interested feel free to email me for details.

            Hope everyone is having a nice weekend
          • Skollen
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 30, 2010
              >there may already be such shops in CR...

              The Maridos de Alquiler franchise also has esposas de alquiler. I've
              been thinking about contacting them for cleaning services. They have
              expanded to other countries in L.A. as well. Other than that, I don't
              know anything about them.
            • costaricaresourceguide
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 31, 2010
                Can you please share your business information here as I'm QUITE interested for LOTS of reasons. After getting ripped off ROYALLY from a housekeeper that WAS really good for over a year (I OWN how I didn't have things "locked down" [even though I was warned over & over to do it]) & a passport from another temporary housekeeper (again - I had left it out saying "Take me" - potentially setting a desperate person up) & what I learned about what ALL is involved with having an employee as well as getting rid of them (including ALL the $$$$ involved), I'm thinking hiring a temp housekeeper might be cheaper in the long run.
              • briggs.joan36
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 1, 2010
                  Someone reported that a housekeeper stole her passport, because it presumably is valuable. I keep hearing that a U.S. passport is worth several thousand dollars. Please help me understand this.

                  Some time ago someone questioned this here, and asked what possible good would a canceled and invalid passport be to anyone? Why bother to steal one? Who would pay for it?

                  The consensus of opinion at that time was that Columbian drug cartel members use stolen passports so they can remain in the country permanently. Maybe I'm missing something. Why should an invalid, canceled passport allow this privilege for a drug cartel thug, yet it won't work for an American with a perfectly valid document? Why should we have to leave every 90 days or apply for residency? Because our passports are valid?

                  Not trying to stir up an argument -- just curious.
                • Sid
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 1, 2010
                    --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "briggs.joan36" <briggs.joan36@...> wrote: Someone reported that a housekeeper stole her passport, because it presumably is valuable. I keep hearing that a U.S. passport is worth several thousand dollars.

                    Interesting Joan. Let me know what you find out. I will be glad to sell mine for a few thousand and go to the embassy, report mine lost and get another one for $130. Sounds like a money making opportunity to me.

                    Sid
                  • stanhopi
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 2, 2010
                      :

                      And "Sid" <osid1962@...> replied:

                      > I will be glad to sell mine for a few thousand and go to the embassy,
                      report mine lost and get another one for $130. Sounds like a money
                      making opportunity to me.

                      Sid if you do that and get it replaced, and thenafter happen to really
                      lose your passport (or have it stolen) you may either be denied geeting
                      a replacement passport or have one issued for a limited time only, like
                      maybe just for a year.

                      The US Govt / Embassy are way ahead of you here!

                      Solamente mis dos granitos de arena . . .

                      Paul M.
                      ==
                    • Al
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 2, 2010
                        What an excellent question . . .

                        There are possibilities . . . urban myth? Maybe the highest value was pre- online checking at SJO and still not working on some northern and southern borders?

                        I bet the embassy knows something? Do we have any ambassadors on CRL?
                        Berni
                        Actual: Black eyes, large scar on left cheek. Age: about 22 Sex: M
                        "It doesn't look right but I'm off shift in 10 minutes."
                      • Sid
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 2, 2010
                          --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "stanhopi" <stanhopi@...> wrote:
                          a replacement passport or have one issued for a limited time only, like
                          > maybe just for a year. The US Govt / Embassy are way ahead of you here!

                          It was meant as a joke Paul. I guess I am a little late for anything goes Friday.

                          Sid
                        • stanhopi
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 2, 2010
                            >> ...The US Govt / Embassy are way ahead of you here!
                            >
                            > It was meant as a joke Paul. I guess I am a little late for anything goes Friday.

                            Sid,

                            Sí, but maybe my admonition might save some other poor fool from gettin' inta
                            a heap o' trouble. ('Member I mentioned previously that you're a smart guy...?)

                            ¡Pura Precaverse!

                            Paul M.
                            ==
                          • IraS
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 2, 2010
                              I have a payee for years for my social security check. I finally rid myself of them this month. I opened an account at Banco de National and got all the direct deposit info for social security. This is my first month without the payee. But social security sent my check to my Banco de National branch. They just now said it was no problem that the money would be availiable for me tomorrow. What am i missing? Why do the direct deposit? Also where did i mess up not having my check direct deposited? Do i need to contact the New York bank i have heard that does them? I am sooo lost and confused. HELP!! Ira
                            • Bruce Gowens
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 2, 2010
                                ---Edited for piggy-backing--Please remember to delete prior messages before posting, thanks----

                                When I had a canceled PP in Nicarauga (it was recovered after being reported lost) and needed to catch a bus to CR, the PP office told me to got ahead and use it--getting a replacement later in CR.  The CR (and other Central Amercian) computer systems are not tied in witht the US one so the border people did not know it had been canceled.

                                So a US passport is good for 90 days into CR (and, I presume, elsewhere) by any crook even though canceled.

                              • artedwards65
                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 2, 2010
                                  > But social security sent my check to my Banco de National branch. >They just now said it was no problem that the money would be >availiable for me tomorrow.
                                  The New york Bank is contracted BY SS to send your check direct to BN. It is deposited on the 3rd of evey month, you have nothing to do but draw your money out as you need it. Hope BN set you up with an ATM card. That will take care of everything.

                                  HTH

                                  Art
                                • Costa Rica Builder
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 2, 2010
                                    Some folks who have lived in or near one of the beach communities frequented by surfers have probably heard of the USA passport deal that American kids have used for free trips to CR for a long time. Back in 1993 in Tamarindo, the going rate for a USA passport was $5000. I don't know the current value. Many a surfer has arrived and then given their passport to a local agent who pays them cash. Then the surfers enjoy a great CR vacation with $1000's in cash to spend. Upon returning to San Jose, they go to the embassy and follow the procedures for acquiring a new passport. Hence, the reports of an excessive amount of stolen USA passports in CR, which in reality, were not stolen but sold on the black market.
                                  • tim webb
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 2, 2010
                                      the value may have to do with the security features of the passport. they
                                      would probably operate on the passport and then replace the photo with a new
                                      photo and reelaminate to make it look authenic. Im sure there are many
                                      other places in the world where they would have more value and are probably
                                      transported there.

                                    • briggs.joan36
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 2, 2010

                                        > the value may have to do with the security features of the passport. they
                                        > would probably operate on the passport and then replace the photo with a new
                                        > photo and reelaminate to make it look authenic. Im sure there are many
                                        > other places in the world where they would have more value and are probably
                                        > transported there.
                                        I look at my passport and there is no lamination. The picture page is printed on one thin sheet of paper. So they would have to replace the entire page. If they could do that, they could print up their own passports. But how would that permit someone to stay permanently in Costa Rica? Without having to leave the country every 90 days? I'm believing that the $5,000 for a stolen and canceled passport is simply an urban myth.
                                      • briggs.joan36
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 2, 2010
                                          --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Gowens <billygoatbruce@...> wrote:

                                          > When I had a canceled PP in Nicarauga (it was recovered after being reported lost) and needed to catch a bus to CR, the PP office told me to got ahead and use it--getting a replacement later in CR.  The CR (and other Central Amercian) computer systems are not tied in witht the US one so the border people did not know it had been canceled.
                                          >
                                          > So a US passport is good for 90 days into CR (and, I presume, elsewhere) by any crook even though canceled.

                                          -------------------------------
                                          Because they didn't run your computer through a computer check, doesn't mean they cannot and do not check anything suspicious. Since there couldn't be any doubt as to whose passport it was (unless you don't look like your picture) there would be no reason to query. Also, if your passport contains a legitimate exit stamp, which was more than 72 hours old, there wouldn't be any need to question check out the validity. I've been through dozens of entries and exits, and they've never bothered to do a computer check on me. The U.S. customs routinely does a computer check when returning to the states.

                                          Look, if a canceled passport allows Colombians to live permanently in Costa Rica, why am I jumping through hoops for residency? Why can't I do this on my valid passport?
                                        • Tray
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Nov 3, 2010
                                            Look, if a canceled passport allows Colombians to live permanently in Costa Rica, why am I jumping through hoops for residency? Why can't I do this on my valid passport?

                                            HUH? who told you colombians can live permanently here on a stolen passport? that doesn't even make any sense. you need residency because you will only get a maximum 90 day visa when entering the country. and if you come in via the airport, your passport is always scanned, just as it is in the US when you enter. Around the globe US passports bring a hefty fee. if they didn't they wouldn't be stolen. maybe it will be harder to forge them/change them with the new rfid chip they've planted inside the new version. but never underestimate the wiliness of those who are in the business of procuring stolen US passports. just talk to the embassy if you don't believe me.
                                          • bob.reese43
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Nov 4, 2010
                                              --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Tray" <QueMirabella@...> wrote:

                                              > HUH? who told you colombians can live permanently here on a stolen passport? that doesn't even make any sense.

                                              Joan explained that this topic was discussed on CRL some time back, and that the general consensus was that Colombians will pay thousands of dollars for a stolen passport because it allows them to stay permanently. I distinctly remember that. I thought it didn't make sense then.

                                              Joan is saying that she thinks this is an urban myth, precisely because it doesn't make any sense. (Just as you do.) Of course there is a lot of stealing of passports, because when thieves believe passports are valuable they will steal them. The question is, exactly who would buy an invalid passport and how it would be used? I agree this sounds like an urban myth.
                                            • Lic.Gregory K
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Nov 5, 2010
                                                Passports of any nationality are worthless to thieves however it has happened that they are sometimes altered and used as phony id´s in other countries to commit frauds.
                                                I have not heard of anyone having this happened to them but I did hear a news story about phony Costarrican passports being in the blackmarket in europe.

                                                Lic.Gregory Kearney Lawson.
                                                http://attorneykearney.blogspot.com
                                                http://attorneykearney.com
                                              • Michael
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Nov 26, 2010
                                                  Do you have something to sell? We take Household Items on Consignment.
                                                  We BUY, SELL, and CONSIGN. Just give us a call and let us know what you
                                                  have. We have a beautiful showroom that is always updated by our
                                                  designers. We will sell it for you. We are not just some warehouse to
                                                  throw your items into. Come by and see how we can get you top $$$ And we
                                                  offer as much as a 70% split. We are located in Rohrmoser close to the
                                                  embassy. We have over 2000 registered users on our website looking for
                                                  household goods. Maybe their looking for what you have.<br><br>

                                                  *Are you leaving Costa Rica?<br>
                                                  *Want to get top dollar for your items?<br>
                                                  *Don't like garage sales where people offer you pennies on the
                                                  dollar?<br>
                                                  *Got an individual item with no time to answer calls and nervous about
                                                  strangers coming to your home?<br>
                                                  *Contact us, we solve all of these issues and more Just give me a call
                                                  at 8362-1153<br><br>
                                                  <a
                                                  href="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001869664088&v=wall/">Cl\
                                                  ick here to visit us on Facebook</a><br>
                                                • fleamarketcr.com
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jan 28, 2011
                                                    Are you moving from to Costa Rica. Need to get more $$ for your furniture. Call us we can help. 8362-1153. No need to worry about cheap garage sales and strangers in your home Call us 8362-1153. We can help