A question

  • kmccor
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2010
      Hi! I haven't formally introduced myself, but have been reading posts for about a week. My name is Katie and my family and I currently live in Southern California. We will be moving down to CR in a few months for at least 3 years for my husband's job. He and I came down there about a month ago to house hunt and look around. We both enjoyed it so much. I agree with the translation of pura vida and can't wait to return!

      I do have a question about services in areas near Escazu and Santa Ana. I have noticed on at least two occasions that I am unable to call into CR (and they are unable to call to the US). I am wondering if similar problems occur with internet services? I currently do contract work with an online tutoring service. They have given me the go ahead to continue working in CR assuming I have reliable internet. So, is the internet relaible or is it sometimes unavailable? Also, if I was interested in tutoring there (Physics and advanced math) is there a strong need for tutors?

      Thanks so much for all the information.

      Katie
    • ervalleaks
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2010
        By "Calling in" if you mean a telephone call, we have had no trouble whatever calling the States and receiving calls with our cell phone. We use CRWIFI and have no trouble with internet services either except for the legal restrictions on receiving certain videos but I have heard that one can get around that with a VPN.
      • steveandpaulacr
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 13, 2013
          Does anyone on this list know where I can buy raffle tickets - you know the kind that's on a roll with double tickets.

          Paula
        • alajuelanorth
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 13, 2013

            All the party shops have them . . . they get well used here, Berni

          • costacoffee2
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 14, 2013

              Internet varies throughout the country and you will have to check at the exact house you are going to be in, to see how good it is.
              In regards to working here, you can 'work' on line but legally, you are required to have a work visa, like your husband,  to do so in person or be a permanent resident.

            • livinglifeincostarica
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 14, 2013
                What's happening is the phone line in Costa Rica is blocked from making international calls (a SMART thing to do if one rents their house out) which means it ALSO BLOCKS INCOMING calls!!!

                To unblock it - the person who's name is ON the phone MUST ONLY THEM go TO ICE with their cedula or ORIGINAL passport (NO copies) or if it's in the name of a corporation, the CURRENT (within less than 30 days) Jersonaria Juridica to change that (I have heard of 1 person that did it by fax).  If that phone's been handed down for generations as they often are - & the person has died - I was told by a friend at ICE that it's a VERY DIFFICULT thing to change which often involves going to court to change it.  Ahhhh - life in "Paradise"!!!

                Best thing to do - get SKYPE or something equivalent!!!  I have Skype, a monthly plan that gives me unlimited free calls to the U.S. (& Canada for the one I'm on) PLUS I have a U.S. # that was just $60 a year to get & I could pick the area!!  The cool thing is when I go to the states, I can forward that phone to my cell so no one knows the difference & since I get free calls - there's no extra forwarding fee!!!

                Vicki Skinner
                http://LivingLifeInCostaRica.blogspot.com
                http://LovingYourPetHouseSitting.com
              • Jim Cottone
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 15, 2013
                  Still don't understand why so many prefer Skype, which charges $60 for a U.S. number. I have used MagicJack for ten years (With a local number in my son's home town of Clarksville, TN), and have never paid more than $29.95 per year for unlimited calls to any number in North America including Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. I installed the Android app, which means that I can place, or receive, calls whenever I am in a wifi hotspot.

                  For a small fee I can also call all my friends in Cairo, Egypt, Australia and Great Britain.

                  Jim
                  --
                  Jim Cottone
                  American Professional Photographer