English as a second language

  • Peter Aborn
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2010
      I try not to be critical of others, respecting everyone's privilege to express their feeling and opinions. However, Costaricenses learning English to 'accommodate gringos'? Are we that arrogant and feel so important or superior?
       I am a professor at a private university. I teach in Spanish not English. This is a Spanish speaking country. However, it is important, for students particularly, to learn English, because most of the literature in dentistry and medicine (probably other professions) is written in English. To publish research in international journals, the universal language is English. Visiting professors from North America, who give important continuing education courses, present in English. Translations into Spanish are not always accurate.

      Ticos have survived and lived, in the past, with a small gingo population. They will, in the future, if census changes. These people adapt. It is one of their strengths. If you question that statement, come with me to Talamanca where Bribris and Cabecares live on an average of c10,000/ week; have few clothes, food;  live in forests; receive minimal services, and much more you would not believe.

      Please stop complaining about street addresses, and how to avoid belonging to CCSS. Many of your other threads are more important and quite interesting. Remember the name of this Forum- CRL

      Your're good people. Please don't become the character in the book by John Dos Passos.

      Thank you